Help Stripe two drives with preexisting data?

Any software tHat can stripe data into RAID 0 with a drive that has preexisting data on it?

In other words, I have a 320gb drive that is 50% full, and a new 320gb. I want to stripe them without losing the data and have them set up in RAID 0.

Any ideas?

I dont have any other way of backing up the data.
7 answers Last reply
More about help stripe drives preexisting data
  1. After a bit of research, it doesn't seem possible.
  2. Don't be such a wuss. Just get a drive large enough to accomodate your 'stuff', copy it over, then build your raid and copy it back.

A person contemplating a raid0 array without a backup strategy is a person looking for personal humiliation...
  3. Not really... What you suggest? A 750gb storage drive? A new 1tb drive? LOL... Im not rich...

The point is being cost effective and performance minded! Witch is hard to do none the less
  4. Huh???? I don't quite get your point. You have a 320 GB drive... Yeah? You want to get a second drive, put the two 320's into a raid configuration.... But you have ~ 50% of the existing drive already used... Yeah?

OK, I stated that you should 'get' a drive capable of holding that much data, and that you should then copy the data over, build your raid0 array, then copy the data back to the new raid0 drive.

I suggested then that anyone that was contemplating a raid0 drive array without an adequate backup strategy was just asking for personal humiliation.

No more, no less.
  5. I dont understand your logic. There is no personal humiliation if a drive fails. I'm well aware of the risks

I fill these drives very quickly and sometimes the data may be needed repeatedly. Im opting for larger drive space and Raid0 Performance. Mulitple PC's on a gigabit network can create a large demand. A lot of the time the data is replaced with different shit. Im not looking for parity...

Besides, I shouldnt need to explain my purpose, just assistance in obtaining my goal.

Thanks anyways.
  6. No, there isn't a way to take two already formatted drives and stripe them. At least, not with the RAID controller in the chipset.

So, you'll have to back up your data to another hard drive or a floppy or something, then create the array, which will wipe your drives, then install windows on the array, then put everything back on.

And you may want to watch your language on here, probably not the best idea to foul the air here. And sometimes stating your purpose can give more information than what you tell us as your goal. A lot of the time, after more information is given, we can suggest another method or an alternative that would be easier, perform better, or both.
  7. Quote:
    No, there isn't a way to take two already formatted drives and stripe them. At least, not with the RAID controller in the chipset.

So, you'll have to back up your data to another hard drive or a floppy or something, then create the array, which will wipe your drives, then install windows on the array, then put everything back on.

And you may want to watch your language on here, probably not the best idea to foul the air here. And sometimes stating your purpose can give more information than what you tell us as your goal. A lot of the time, after more information is given, we can suggest another method or an alternative that would be easier, perform better, or both.

Foul the air? Or what? A moderator/admin will ban me... So? Ive ben here a while and Ive seen people come and go for various reasons.

And I was relying to Croc's strange logic of "personal humiliation". And he seemed astranged as to why I wanted to stripe my two drives... A bitt off the original topic.

I think I can determine what information is needed wen asking a question.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID Software Storage