So my hard drive failed on me a few nights ago

SteelAngel

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
My system had been running without a hitch until Thursday night when I had to reboot.

Long story short, I went from UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME blue screens to eventually seeing no files on the drive using an XP CD's recovery console. Hooking the drive up to a friend's computer to check it out yielded an empty had drive too. The drive in question is a WD 400 gig model, Caviar line I believe, a little over a year old.

Since this is the first time I've had this kind of hardware failure, I wanted to check to see if I should be aware of anything/do anything special before I go and reinstall Windows and all my applications on it.

SolitoN79

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
You should do an integrity test to ensure there aren't any physical problems -- if there are, then reinstalling will be a waste of time...

gse1

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I agree with SolitoN79 that you should check the drive in your friend's PC before using it for a reinstall. I find HDTune (http://www.hdtune.com/) to be very useful for things like this, not only will it do a full surface scan but you can bring up the drive's SMART data to see error rates and so forth. Windows' built-in tools will also let you do a full surface scan.

SteelAngel

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
I agree with SolitoN79 that you should check the drive in your friend's PC before using it for a reinstall. I find HDTune (http://www.hdtune.com/) to be very useful for things like this, not only will it do a full surface scan but you can bring up the drive's SMART data to see error rates and so forth. Windows' built-in tools will also let you do a full surface scan.

Thanks for the link. I did a thorough scan/check/whatever-they-call-it-now-disk on both my and my friend's computer without finding anything major, but that only tells you so much. I'll be sure to try this out later.

Whiznot

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
A friend of mine got the unmountable boot drive error message. I installed his drive in my computer. After booting from my boot drive, I ran chkdsk and asked it to correct all errors. A massive volume of errors were corrected. When we put the disk back in the friend's computer everthing worked OK.