should i upgrade my psu? or do you think i can skatee by?

i currently have:

amd athlon xp 2800+ 2.083ghz
1.5GB ddr333 ram
radeon 9600xt 128mb 8xagp
aopen ak77-600max using ONLY 20 pin power
DUAL 400GB sata disks
cd-rw and a dvd-rw
sound blaster audigy 2 zs w/ live drive
floppy
5 80mm fans, along with the thermaltake venus 12 on the cpu

loaded on a 420W dual fan thermaltake psu.

now, the question of the day is, if i replace my gpu with a
radeon x1650pro 512mb, should i also upgrade the psu, or should i try and skate it by? it does only require a small floppy-like connector for extra power, but idunno...what do you guys think?

also, please don't give me a billion comments telling me to go to pci-e, ddr2, dual core, yadda yadda...i've been told a billion times and i just don't have the money.
3 answers Last reply
More about should upgrade skatee
  1. oh man u have to go c2d itsdd.... joking,., :P
    i think your tt420 will hold ok, i had a 420 TT purepower runing a 7800GS OC , a p4 3.0 htE, 2gigs ddr40 2 hdd sata , 2 dvd rw drivers , 1 soundblaster audigy 2 , 2 usb 2.0 pci card 2x 120mm fans tt , 4x 90mm fans . and i never have an issue
    just one thing its your psu the one than comes with the cases? mine was purschase in retail box. cause there are 2 420TT psu's the good one has de golden grill in the fans (21amps)v12 rail. i recommend you to search for your psu on the web and find the specs gl man
  2. nope, got the psu myself. its got a gold grill, yeah, both fans.
  3. You'll be fine. Overall your system will be drawing at most 200w of power under the worst conditions. The load on the 12v rail is pretty low so you have nothing to worry about.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components