Sign in with
Your question

cool running vid card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 19, 2007 5:47:56 AM

I am looking for a graphics card that produces the lowest amount of heat while also giving great performance. I am tired of fighting high case temperatures because my GPU is putting out so much heat.

Any suggestions or links to sites?

More about : cool running vid card

March 19, 2007 1:17:41 PM

That is what I feared actually. When one of the manufacturers comes out with a smaller manufacturing process, just maybe that will help.
March 19, 2007 1:57:36 PM

Doesn't the Arctic Cooling AVC-AT5 on your X850 XT spit the hot air out of the back of the case?
A video card with that cooler should have relatively little effect on case temps.

If you're serious about temperatures, you might want to look into water cooling...
Related resources
March 19, 2007 2:00:10 PM

My 7900GS overclocked to 640 idles at 28c and loaded at 40c. Although...I am using a DD maze5 water block on it. :D 
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2007 2:52:16 PM

I agree with Cleeve, you don't care much about the core temps of the card, you need a card that simply exhausts all that heat out of your case.

Anything with an AC style cooler will do that [Like HIS' IceQ series]. Even the new GF8800s are going that route now whereas previous nV coolers dumped half the heat in and half the heat out of the case at best. But it's not limited to just one maker, both have the dump hot air into case type.

Here's the X1950P as an example of both types.

You want one that looks like this;

NOT like this;

a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2007 2:55:35 PM

Quote:
My 7900GS overclocked to 640 idles at 28c and loaded at 40c. Although...I am using a DD maze5 water block on it. :D 

You're still melting the Polar Ice Caps! Just in a more diffused manner. :tongue:
March 19, 2007 3:15:27 PM

This is the cooler I have on the X850XT, it exhausts the hot air out of a grated slot in the back. I am probably just being picky at this point, but my computer room get a ton of sun and heats up rather quickly in the summer so I was looking for a vid card that actually generated less heat while maintaining a similar performance level as my X850XT. I thought that maybe since it was a generation (or two) older that the newer models may have followed the Core2Duo model of higher performance with lower heat.

March 19, 2007 3:20:16 PM

So you don't want your CASE cooler, you want your ROOM cooler? Ah.

I'm doubt there's a card out there that offers similar performance, but would generate significantly less heat. Sorry bro...
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2007 3:58:59 PM

Quote:
my computer room get a ton of sun and heats up rather quickly in the summer so I was looking for a vid card that actually generated less heat while
You are looking in the wrong direction. What you need is dark window shades & blinds and/or an air conditioner. Your X850XT isn't heating your room the slightest compared to one window with direct sunlight. As the others have said, that cooler of yours is as good as it gets in air cooling for keeping case temps down.
March 19, 2007 4:00:14 PM

I just found a chart here that has wattage and performance per watt graphs: GPU Wattage

It is getting a little dated, but it may help as far as seeing which family of GPU runs cooler, so I thought I would put it here in case anyone searches and finds this thread.
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2007 4:41:06 PM

Yeah that list seems a little generous in some areas.

I know Digit-Life does a great job on testing performance, and even temperatures, but they've never done much for wattage, so I wonder what that source wattage is since the link for the list takes you to their previous Mobility review not anything with wattage numbers.

It's important to find out what figures they were using since if they seem to be off on the ratios in a few cases, like the GX2 especially.

I'd say the GF7900GT though is a good choice for what you're looking for, although the prcie will be a hefty premium over the GF7900GS. They didn't have the X1950Pro in that list, and it's a fair bit more efficient than it's cohorts, in the same range as the GT, but maybe a little less efficient if that's all that matters.

Those would be my recommendations. If you can find one and afford it, the GF7900GT is a good range, and then second I'd say either the GF7900GS or X1950Pro for the efficient but better value play. The GF7600GT is very efficient, but will offer less performance compared to what you already have.
March 19, 2007 5:07:54 PM

It looks like the 7900GT may be the card for me as far as an upgrade is concerned. I have been looking at what is available and they all seem to have fans that do not exhaust to the outside of the case. Is there a model that has an exhaust port like the pictures above?
March 19, 2007 5:53:03 PM

Quote:
I thought that maybe since it was a generation (or two) older that the newer models may have followed the Core2Duo model of higher performance with lower heat.

*cough* *cough* *choke*

...you mean the Athalon 64 model of higher performance with lower heat?!?! (that intel FINALLY got on track with with their long-belated abandonment of the Netburst architecture). (sorry, my sequestered inner AMD fanboy just couldn't take it)

Anyway...

To maintain decent case temps with high ambient temps you need a higher cfm/case volume ratio and as much direct heat exhaust as possible and intelligent airflow to ensure that *all* components are being actively cooled.

Setups like my sig rig do better with high ambient temps then typical tower cases. Since the "cool" air coming in isn't exactly cool you have to get the hot air out as effeciently as possible as recirculation can more quickly lead to pockets of unacceptably warm air.

I don't have any AC either. I had a setup with a thermalright xp 90 and a vantec tornado in a older antec sonata case (a pretty decent case with 120mm exhaust, but still all the short-comings of standard configuration mid-tower cases with standard GFX HSFs: massive amounts of turblance and pockets of dead hot air) that still got obliterated by the summer heat. I had spent easily $100 more than "stock" to get extra cooling but still couldn't hack it with high ambient temps, so I converted to an effeciency-centric philosophy of PC cooling (I got tired of taking the side panels off of my computers in the summer).
March 19, 2007 6:09:44 PM

Did you consider investing your $200 in a window-mounted air conditioner that will keep you nice and comfortable all summer, computer or not...?
March 19, 2007 6:12:01 PM

Quote:
It looks like the 7900GT may be the card for me as far as an upgrade is concerned. I have been looking at what is available and they all seem to have fans that do not exhaust to the outside of the case. Is there a model that has an exhaust port like the pictures above?

I was considering an x1950Pro for my next upgrade. It's supposed to be a newer more energy efficent core (probably still hotter than x850 though) and ATI cards come with rear-exhausting HSFs on them more often (which is way cheaper and easier then installing one yourself). H.I.S. brand is pretty good.

Also, depending on your case, you might be able to get that massive tower HSF lined up and ducted to a top-exhaust vent. If all most of heat from your CPU was emedieately removed from the case that should help to lower case temps by quite a bit and would improve cfm/volume without adding any additional fans. Just make sure there are enough intake vents.
March 19, 2007 8:22:30 PM

Quote:

*cough* *cough* *choke*

...you mean the Athalon 64 model of higher performance with lower heat?!?! (that intel FINALLY got on track with with their long-belated abandonment of the Netburst architecture). (sorry, my sequestered inner AMD fanboy just couldn't take it)

I apologize for skipping over AMD's achievements here, but I went from a 2.4c P$ to a E6600, so my reality is what I wrote.

For a little update I have a Silverstone TJ-09 case, which has amazing airflow characteristics. I am satisfied with the temps so far, but the sumer heat is not here yet and I am I trying to plan ahead. I just don't want to have to over-run my AC to keep my sunny little computer room nice and cool all summer. I am doing this for the, ya know, environment.... er, wallet.

I also updated my profile with recent changes FWIW.
March 19, 2007 9:02:55 PM

It has intake vents right next to exhaust fans... very ineffecient. With four 120mm fans it's kind of a shame that two of them are just spending a good percentage of their CFMs sucking the air they just exhausted back into the case and then exhausting it again without letting it cool anything...

The HD cooling system looks kinds spiffy and it blows kinda at the gfx card which might be especially nice if you didn't have a rear-exhuasting GFX HSF.

You might want to block off that top-rear intake vent. If you modded the case to put more intake near the bottom or front you might want to block of the one bottom-rear one as well to force all your exhaust fans to pull 100% fresh air into the case and draw it across all components before exhausting it. The higher your ambient tempurature the more important this concept becomes. Right now you're merely dilluting your hot case air with fresh air by recirculating it in little eddies. With 4 120mm fans and a low ambient temp this probably works fine. With a higher ambient temp you want to force all of the hot air directly out of the case as quickly as possible because the air can't obsorb as much energy as quickly.

Oh, and kudos to you for having half a brian cell and realizing that conservation saves money! :)  So many brain-dead republicans that refuse to make their homes energy effecient and pay higher bills to be less comfortable because they don't like touchy-feely environmental movements. I have a whole string of lights and a refridgerator on the same circut as my whole bedroom because of repugnant anti-environmentalist behavior like that... I just want clean power for my puters but they seem to think it's more important to burn as much coal as possible then to keep our house circuts within their design tollerances. I would happily turn on my horribly ineffecient forced-air electric heater in my bathroom if it didn't trip the circuit xD
March 19, 2007 9:35:31 PM

dang, I've been trying to get one of those coolers for my 850, can't find anyone that has one in stock. :cry: 
March 19, 2007 9:41:55 PM

Quote:
NOOooess!!111!!

Stop conserving energy you're hurting my economy !! :twisted:

BTW, you should join the Folding team since you aren't currently on one;
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teamp...

I used to fold a long time ago. I was quite the powerhouse at one point with a few computers running in my house and my penchant for high-end equipment. My mildly obsessive personality leads me to go a little haywire once I get involved with thing like this, so no folding for you!
Sure, I think folding proteins is a halfway decent way to spend my energy dollars, but I would imagine this will work against my goal of reducing my case/room temps.

I actually resorted to turning off my computer for a few hours the other day when I was not planning on using it... it was too eerie and I had to switch it back on.
March 19, 2007 9:50:23 PM

Quote:
NOOooess!!111!!

Stop conserving energy you're hurting my economy !! :twisted:

BTW, you should join the Folding team since you aren't currently on one;
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teamp...

I run FAH to easy my guilt about running 2 (soon to be 3 or 4) computers 24x7. Sharing pron on the internet just didn't seem like a worthy enough cause to contribute to global warming. I'm not on a team because I'm an anti-social elitist. Not only do I not have any team mates, I'm also on the best team in the world. Team 0 FTW! I'm not quite sure how to reconcile my anti-social elitist feelings with my desire to save the rest of you from environmental doom, lack of pron, and mis-folding related diseases though. I'm a deeply troubled geek. Eh, i've been so busy with other stuff recently I haven't done anything with FAH. Just spitting out WUs every day or two running in the background. I got accepted to the FAH beta team but I might have been kicked back out for inactivity xD I'll probably come crying for a team when I try to start running multi-threaded and GFX (another reason for picking the x1950Pro) under linux and stuff when the other computers get up and running ;) 

And now that this poor chap's thread has been thoroughly hijacked I'll try to get back on topic: I don't think you have many options for a GFX card that is both all-round higher performance and lower-wattage then an x800 series. However, according to http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine the x1950Pro should come in a ~5 watts lower. Not really much better, but not worse. Can we get a consensus or benchmarks on a x1950Pro out-performing an x850XT?

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&m...

Shows the x1950Pro barely beating the x850XT at low settings and increasing it's lead as the video settings are cranked up. The x850XT is a monster for raw performance, but the x1950Pro has better hardware support for eye-candy. Does that sound about right?
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2007 1:32:59 AM

Yeah I used to fold more before (still have more WUs than you, just less points) :twisted: but with a laptop it's realy hard to do it with the idea of running 24/7 on parts that are more fragile and also harder & more expensive to replace.

Anywhoo, I agree X1950Pro is a good compromise, or the other two I mentioned. And they will all outperform theX850XT, plus allow him into games that require SM3.0 as the ground floor requirement.
March 20, 2007 2:29:55 AM

I think I will wait and see if the rumor about the r600 on a 65nm is true. A couple of months and I will buy a ~$400 vid card, a $250 wall AC unit, and I may club a baby polar bear that weekend. Take that North pole!

J/K I will probably wait a bit and see how this next generation plays out for a little bit, but I am hoping AMD pulls out a winner with the new card, if for nothing else to bolster their poor earnings outlook this year.
March 20, 2007 7:03:47 PM

Quote:
It has intake vents right next to exhaust fans... very ineffecient. With four 120mm fans it's kind of a shame that two of them are just spending a good percentage of their CFMs sucking the air they just exhausted back into the case and then exhausting it again without letting it cool anything...

The HD cooling system looks kinds spiffy and it blows kinda at the gfx card which might be especially nice if you didn't have a rear-exhuasting GFX HSF.

You might want to block off that top-rear intake vent. If you modded the case to put more intake near the bottom or front you might want to block of the one bottom-rear one as well to force all your exhaust fans to pull 100% fresh air into the case and draw it across all components before exhausting it. The higher your ambient tempurature the more important this concept becomes. Right now you're merely dilluting your hot case air with fresh air by recirculating it in little eddies. With 4 120mm fans and a low ambient temp this probably works fine. With a higher ambient temp you want to force all of the hot air directly out of the case as quickly as possible because the air can't obsorb as much energy as quickly.

You can configure the fans to blow or suck. SO I am not sure where you are getting the info on this case's air flow characteristics.

I don't know what the recommended fan setup for this case is either, so if anyone has any advice I would be more than willing to test different configurations.
!