Installation Trouble Windows 2000 Pro, keeps looking for s..

Please Help,
I was running Windows 2000 Pro with no problems, THEN, I
was encountering some errors, so I put in the Windows 2000
CD and was running the fix errors option on the CD and
when it was almost finished it was going through the
reboot stage and now it is caught in some kind of loop. It
continues to just reboot and I cant do anything. It comes
up to the point of asking me for the service pack 2 cd ,
which on my cd it says it include service pack 2.

I put it in and nothing happens. the first file it is
looking for is called NT5inf.cat, i copied on from a
different computer and put on a floppy and installed it,
then it comes up looking for NT5.cat, too big for a floppy
so I burned one from another computer, still wont take it,
PLEASE HELP, it almost acts like it wont take any files
from my CD Drive.

It also asks for the windows 2000 cd and when i put it in,
it doesnt do anything. I have been running windows 2000
for over six months the that computer, PLEASE IS THERE
ANYTHING i CAN DO???????
my EMAIL IS ed.dranchak@verizon.net
Thanks

AFAIK you can't do a repair install (aka in-place upgrade, aka over-the-top
install) with an integrated install CD-Rom. You might try downloading SP2,
extract the files, copy to a CD-Rom and try feeding it this disk.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Ed Dranchak" wrote:
| Please Help,
| I was running Windows 2000 Pro with no problems, THEN, I
| was encountering some errors, so I put in the Windows 2000
| CD and was running the fix errors option on the CD and
| when it was almost finished it was going through the
| reboot stage and now it is caught in some kind of loop. It
| continues to just reboot and I cant do anything. It comes
| up to the point of asking me for the service pack 2 cd ,
| which on my cd it says it include service pack 2.
|
| I put it in and nothing happens. the first file it is
| looking for is called NT5inf.cat, i copied on from a
| different computer and put on a floppy and installed it,
| then it comes up looking for NT5.cat, too big for a floppy
| so I burned one from another computer, still wont take it,
| PLEASE HELP, it almost acts like it wont take any files
| from my CD Drive.
|
| It also asks for the windows 2000 cd and when i put it in,
| it doesnt do anything. I have been running windows 2000
| for over six months the that computer, PLEASE IS THERE
| ANYTHING i CAN DO???????
| my EMAIL IS ed.dranchak@verizon.net
| Thanks

It won't read my CD Drive, I have tried that, files are
all too large to put on a floopy, Any help for this? or do
I need to buy a new computer, I am totally stuck now...
Thanks for reponding and your help...
Ed

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"Ed Dranchak" wrote:
>| Please Help,
>| I was running Windows 2000 Pro with no problems, THEN, I
>| was encountering some errors, so I put in the Windows
2000
>| CD and was running the fix errors option on the CD and
>| when it was almost finished it was going through the
>| reboot stage and now it is caught in some kind of loop.
It
>| continues to just reboot and I cant do anything. It
comes
>| up to the point of asking me for the service pack 2 cd ,
>| which on my cd it says it include service pack 2.
>|
>| I put it in and nothing happens. the first file it is
>| looking for is called NT5inf.cat, i copied on from a
>| different computer and put on a floppy and installed it,
>| then it comes up looking for NT5.cat, too big for a
floppy
>| so I burned one from another computer, still wont take
it,
>| PLEASE HELP, it almost acts like it wont take any files
>| from my CD Drive.
>|
>| It also asks for the windows 2000 cd and when i put it
in,
>| it doesnt do anything. I have been running windows 2000
>| for over six months the that computer, PLEASE IS THERE
>| ANYTHING i CAN DO???????
>| my EMAIL IS ed.dranchak@verizon.net
>| Thanks
>|

>.

Well buying a new computer would be nice but probably a little drastic for
the situation. Why not do a clean install? To do a clean install, either
boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install
disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk
directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe
(from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.