Trying to recover from system disk failure

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 31, 2004 4:13:39 AM

I am using Windows 2000 Professional. I recently had my system disk
fail. Luckily I had made backups of the system disk and the registry
onto the other drive. I followed the procedure in Knowledge Base
Article 249694, installing a new copy of Windows 2000 and then
restoring the backed up disk and registry. When I first rebooted the
machine after the restoration I got the error msg,
"\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\cmaudio.sys device driver could not be
loaded. Error status was c0000034". I have an old installation on
that disk which did boot properly so I was able to access the file
system and look at the registry hives. The cmaudio.sys file was right
there where is should be in C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\cmadio.sys so I
tried running the repair procedure. Now the system seems to boot OK
but when I try to log onto the Administrator account I get the
message, "The system cannot log you on now because the domain XXX is
not available.", where XXX is the name of the local machine. This is
puzzling because I thought I was storing the profile locally. I
loaded the software hive from C:\WINNT\system32\config\software. I
looked at the key Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and
there was only one SID entry. I looked in it and confirmed that
ProfileImagePath was set to "%SystemRoot%\Profiles\Administrator". I
then looked on the disk and saw that C:\WINNT\Profiles\Adminstrator
existed and seemed to contain everything I'd expect.

So what is happening here? Did I screw up the migration to the new
disk? Why is the OS not allowing me to log on? Why is it looking for
a remote profile?

Thanks,

Charles P. Lamb
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 6:40:19 PM

I'm still trying to solve this problem and have done much more
experimentation. I've discovered that it is getting the "domain name"
for the message from the registry entry
system\ControlSet001\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName\ComputerName .
I discovered this by changing this entry and the name in the message
changes along with it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Charles P. Lamb