Orthos error & can't get onboard LAN to work on Gigabyte DS3

shizza

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
I've been having lots of problems with my new build.

mb: Gigabyte DS3 rev. 3.3 (had to rma this once already, see this thread, also see gigabyte subforum for many others with the same problem).
cpu: E4300
ram: corsair ddr2-800 4-4-4-12 (had to rma this once too, memtest86+ errors, wouldn't boot with both sticks).
case: antec p180
psu: corsair 620hx
gpu: gigabyte 7600gt
hd: seagate 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320 gig OEM
cpu cooler: tuniq tower

First off, aside from rma'ing two parts for just downright not working, I finally got windows installed. I'm using the onboard lan of the DS3 and windows xp sp2 by default didn't detect it. I got it working with the drivers from gigabyte's website, but I got random winxp freezes, and so I uninstalled it.

I then ran memtest86 to see if my new ram was the culprit. No errors after 6.5 hours and 13 passes.

I then ran orthos (blend) and got this:
1:FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
1:Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
1:Torture Test ran 3 hours, 1 minutes, 25 seconds - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
1:Execution halted.
This is without any overclocking and the only bios settings I've changed are:
- disabling smart fan (cpu fan didn't turn on otherwise)
- +0.3v on the ram (it's rated for 2.1v @ 4-4-4-12)
- set the ram timings from 5-5-5-18 to 4-4-4-12
- set the fsb:ram to 2.0 (in the DS3, this sets it to 1:1, I believe? but it's actually running at 1:2 according to cpuz)

I can't find the stress.txt file anywhere, so I can't be sure what hardware is failing. Note that I get random freezes with the onboard lan driver installed within ~6 minutes, but with it uninstalled I don't seem to freeze (at least, sitting there doing nothing but orthos - my freezes before were browsing and/or doing internet things).

My temperatures seem ok, although I don't know the ambient temperature exactly:

~25-28 C idle (speedfan, core temp)
~42-45 C idle (TAT)

~47 C load (speedfan, core temp)
~61 C load (TAT)

harddrive: 38C

This is from reading the core #0/#1 temperatures, for some reason Tjunction in coretemp is always 85C (I'm guessing it's supposed to be?).

I'm thinking to solve my internet problems I'll buy a pci NIC (any recommendations for windows/linux?). It freezes windows and I can't even get it working in linux (marvell's site has a driver that patches your kernel, haven't gotten it to work yet). You'd think with the DS3 being so popular, more people would be using the onboard LAN, and I'd see more problem complaints.

That still leaves my orthos error though, and I want to be 100% sure that all my hardware is working before I even attempt an overclock.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Run orthos on small (cpu only) so that you can determine if it is your ram or cpu. Even though your ram passed memtest it still may be failing on orthos.

shizza

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Ran it on orthos blend again for about five hours with no errors, then left for most of the day and got home to see my PC had rebooted. Guessing it failed on something, or windows is still not completely stable, or something.

Ran it on stress ram and got errors within 12 and 6 minutes respectively (for two separate tests).

Currently running it on stress CPU for 58 minutes right now with no errors.

Is orthos reliable in testing memory errors? I'm using ORTHOS BETA v0.41.110.18. At this point, it does seem to be pointing to the RAM again as the culprit, but I'd like to be absolutely sure it isn't some other component of my system since this is the second set of sticks I'd have to RMA - if it isn't actually the ram I could be sending sticks back indefinitely.

For some reason, I'm more liable to trust memtest86+ than Orthos, at least for testing ram.

Is it possible the PSU or MB could be the problem?

I hate this whole RMA process, it takes forever. Been "building" for a couple months now and still no working system. Very frustrating. :(

shizza

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
You're saying orthos RAM errors are nothing to worry about?

I've ran orthos on small (cpu only) without error, and I ran memtest86+ again for 10 hours without error.

But I get orthos RAM errors fairly quickly.