Why can't I overclock my E6400?

misiowiec

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
I've just assembled a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, E6400 and 2 x 1Gb PC6400 Geil RAM (4-4-4-12) system but it does not want to overclock. Any FSB higher than 275 (a mere 3% increase!) and it just won't POST and I have to use the CMOS reset jumper. I have tried:

1. Following various guides, such as http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Guide-Overclocking-E6300-E6400-DS3-Mobo-ftopict201220.html, to make sure the BIOS settings are correct and only the neccessary things are enbaled
2. Raising the voltage of the CPU, RAM and motherboard
3. Taking the CPU / RAM out of the equation by lowering multipliers so they run slower than stock, together and on their own
4. Running two loops with memtest86 with no memory errors
5. Reflashing the F10 BIOS
6. Removing all unneccessary components such as the sound card, all SATA connections etc

System still refuses to POST above 275 MHz FSB. What a royal pain - can I conclude the motherboard is to blame or is there anything else I can test?

echdskech

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007

i just got finished OCing my new rig (see sig). i dunno how different our boards or bios are but from the reviews they look practically the same.

i hit a 290FSB wall when i raised all the V's at once. after a more patient (read: step-by-step) approach , i found that all i needed to do was to set my MCH v to +.1 and got my system to OC to a stable 350 FSB before i chickened out due to high temps @ load. (~70C)

i brought it down to 333 and all other v's back to stock except for the MCH. he additional, unnecessary increases just contributed waste heat. apparently too much v's destabilizes the system due to heat. might be the same in your case. hope it helps.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Try setting your RAM to be 1:1 with your CPU.
This means your RAM should be running at 533.

They just slowly increasing the FSB to see what happens.
Also try jumping the FSB to see if there is an OC hole.

Try the F6 Bios.
For me, the F6 was more stable than the F10 in my setup.

(Highly OC'd CPU and UnderVoltaged CPU)

brokenshoelaces

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
I've just assembled a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, E6400 and 2 x 1Gb PC6400 Geil RAM (4-4-4-12) system but it does not want to overclock. Any FSB higher than 275 (a mere 3% increase!) and it just won't POST and I have to use the CMOS reset jumper. I have tried:

1. Following various guides, such as http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Guide-Overclocking-E6300-E6400-DS3-Mobo-ftopict201220.html, to make sure the BIOS settings are correct and only the neccessary things are enbaled
3. Taking the CPU / RAM out of the equation by lowering multipliers so they run slower than stock, together and on their own
6. Removing all unneccessary components such as the sound card, all SATA connections etc

System still refuses to POST above 275 MHz FSB. What a royal pain - can I conclude the motherboard is to blame or is there anything else I can test?

could be the memory, have you tried running memtest86? most overclocking problems are in the memory. F10 bios on my ds3 is stable as a rock, i would check the memory before anything else.

Diabolus_Advocatus

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007

could be the memory, have you tried running memtest86? most overclocking problems are in the memory. F10 bios on my ds3 is stable as a rock, i would check the memory before anything else.

brokenshoelaces

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007

ha im blind.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
After much tinkering it's now overclocking to 3.0Ghz totally stable. It really was a matter of checking and double-checking all settings, reaseating all connectors and increasing voltages. Well worth the effort!

The guide that helped me is here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

Many thanks to all who replied!
By chance did you forget to set your PCI and/or PCI express settings statically to 33MHz & 100MHz? Or what did you have wrong?