ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Questions

jphillips1868

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
1. Does it use a back plate or does it attach with the expandable pegs like the stock intel HSF for C2D processors?

(I have a EVGA 680i that has capicators on the back of the board where the back plate of for example the Tuniq Tower would go. I know there is a procedure for cutting a hole in the back plate, but I would rather not fool with that/risk it.)

2. How does it compare in term of noise to the stock intel HSF and/or Tuniq Tower?

3. Is it sufficient for a moderate overclock? I want to get my E6600 above 3.0?

Thanks.

Sabo

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
It does not have a back plate. I installed mine without taking out my motherboard.

I'm not sure about the noise. I installed the heatsink and 2 other fans at the same time, made it quite a bit louder altogether.

I have my e4300 at 3Ghz with it currently. <--Edit: I think it could go higher. I think it is limited by my motherboard currently ( the damn fsb wont go above 333. (P5b vanilla) )

Silent_Bob

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I have this exact cooler on a P5B deluxe and it runs 3Ghz without any difficulty. Running Dual prime torture tests I don't think I've seen anything over 43 degrees celcius. Granted I have 2x92mm intake and a 120 mm exhaust and the room in which my PC sits usually has an ambient temperature of 20-22 celcius.

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
1. Does it use a back plate or does it attach with the expandable pegs like the stock intel HSF for C2D processors?

(I have a EVGA 680i that has capicators on the back of the board where the back plate of for example the Tuniq Tower would go. I know there is a procedure for cutting a hole in the back plate, but I would rather not fool with that/risk it.)

It does not use a backplate. This was one of my requirements... did not want to remove my motherboard. On a side note, I think those that have an adapter on the back would probably be more secure.

2. How does it compare in term of noise to the stock intel HSF and/or Tuniq Tower?

IMHO, it is definitely quieter than the stock HSF. I also replaced every other fan (save my x800 fan) with Yate Loon and Scythe low noise fans. The most sound that I hear now is coming from the d*** AMD HSF in my other system! Those Yate Loon 120s at $3 each are a bargain, as is the little Scythe Mini Kaze I have on the Northbridge.

3. Is it sufficient for a moderate overclock? I want to get my E6600 above 3.0?

Thanks.

Yes. I have an E6300 at 3Ghz, and my CPU runs about 48-50C under load, 55-58C under Intel TAT max load. Idle is 40C or below.

The AC Freezer 7 pro is possibly the best, lowest-noise bolt on HSF you can buy.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Yeah I don't know about that link...they are missing a majority of popular coolers and (except the Thermalright 120) probably 4 of the top 5 coolers.

You can't tell me the stock HSF is quieter than a Thermalright 120, no way to know what fans you are using and such.

The AC Freezer 7 Pro is about as loud (decibel wise) as the stock HSF at full speed....but! The Freezer 7 Pro doesn't need to be running full speed to do a better job at cooling than the Intel HSF. I used to use one and it kept up with the stock fan (12v) when it was at 7v. At this voltage it is nearly inaudible, just a little "wooshing" sort of sound if you listen really close with the case side off.

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Noise: The stock HSF is actually pretty good at idle, and produces about the same amount of noise as ACF7Pro. At load, though, the stock HSF produces much more noise.

Cooling: My temps show that the stock HSF is very poor compared to the ACF7Pro.

The conclusion: If you are not overclocking and don't load up your system often, then the stock HSF is perfectly suitable and reasonably quiet. If you run your system at full load or overclock, the ACF7pro will cool your system about 10C cooler than the stock HSF, and do it about as quietly as the stock HSF at idle.