Changing Default Installation Location

How do I change the default Installation Location? I've
looked through the Registry and cannot find this stored
anywhere.

My laptop comes with a QuickRestore CD which built the C:
boot drive from a D: CD-ROM (fairly normal setup). So
when I go to install new Windows components, or it needs
to reference stuff from the I386 directory, it defaults to
D:\i386, which is really irritating because the CD-ROM
drive is now G:. How do I change this so it knows to look
on G:\i386 before asking where to find the Installation CD?

For that matter, if I were to copy the i386 directory to
the hard drive, how could I make it look there instead?

I can't find this anywhere.

Help?
1 answer Last reply
More about changing default installation location
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Look for the Reg_Sz strings;
    "SourcePath"
    and
    "ServicePackSourcePath"

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

    Note that these strings are the path to the directory that holds the \i386
    directory. Not to the files within the \i386 directory.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Steven K. Mariner" wrote:
    | How do I change the default Installation Location? I've
    | looked through the Registry and cannot find this stored
    | anywhere.
    |
    | My laptop comes with a QuickRestore CD which built the C:
    | boot drive from a D: CD-ROM (fairly normal setup). So
    | when I go to install new Windows components, or it needs
    | to reference stuff from the I386 directory, it defaults to
    | D:\i386, which is really irritating because the CD-ROM
    | drive is now G:. How do I change this so it knows to look
    | on G:\i386 before asking where to find the Installation CD?
    |
    | For that matter, if I were to copy the i386 directory to
    | the hard drive, how could I make it look there instead?
    |
    | I can't find this anywhere.
    |
    | Help?

Default CD-Rom Windows