Upgrade from Windows 98

I upgraded to Windows 2000 Professional with SP4. Now
windows 2000 is installed along with windows 98 and my
settings from Windows 98 along with many of my programs
don't show up in Windows 2000. Is there any way to move
everything from windows 98 into windows 2000 and then
delete windows 98?
1 answer Last reply
More about upgrade windows
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    What you installed is a dual-boot. You can boot with your Win98 startup disk
    and issue the command
    sys C:
    this will rewrite the boot sector, then you can delete these files boot.ini,
    ntldr, ntdetect.com, bootsect.dos, pagefile.sys and possibly ntbootdd.sys
    from the root of the System partition C:\., then you can delete the Windows
    2000 boot partition or \winnt directory (whichever the case) and start the
    upgrade process from win9x

    Save yourself some time and trouble, given that you'll more than likely end
    up with an unstable OS with all the remnants/ corruption left behind from
    the upgrade. Best to blow it all away and go for the clean install.

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks.
    The set of four install disks can be created from your Win2k CD-rom; change
    to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
    or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

    During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
    operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
    qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
    proceed.

    Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
    or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Aaron Abell" wrote:
    |I upgraded to Windows 2000 Professional with SP4. Now
    | windows 2000 is installed along with windows 98 and my
    | settings from Windows 98 along with many of my programs
    | don't show up in Windows 2000. Is there any way to move
    | everything from windows 98 into windows 2000 and then
    | delete windows 98?

Windows 98 Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows