Last response: in CPUs
March 19, 2007 3:55:54 PM

I have the following system

E6600
Striker Extreme
Corsair TWIN2X1024C4 ddr800
evga 7900 gs ko
zalman 9700cnps
Thermaltake tsunami case (btw it has a 120mm fan in the back which helps the zalman)

My system has a 450mhz FSB 1:1 with my RAM at 900mhz.

My vCore is in 1.63125 in BIOS (1.58 in probe II) and my temps with a zalman 9700CNPS are around 39c in idle and 51 in load (while running orthos) :S

Isnt this weird? CoreTemp shows tjunction 81c, is that bad? If I put less than 1.55vcore my system wont boot. it also shows core 0 51c and core 1 50c

What can be happening? why are temps so weird? shouldnt they be at like 60c!?
Also, why is my OC so inestable? I can use the pc and everything but it wont run Orthos for more than 3 mins.
March 19, 2007 4:21:47 PM

you might be cooking your chip, you know electron migration and all that...,

try different temp sensors and don't rely on just one. I use rivatuner sensor for C2D which reports temp of both cores and compared to Nvidia sensors they appear to be very close but the difference can be as high as 10 celsius and thats a big difference. I notice my GPU's temps have a 10 celsius difference from those of nvidia.

Do the same for your voltages. Don't rely on one monitor. Your bios should be the most accurate.

I won't go over 1.5v but have tried it up to 1.55v before backing back down to 1.45v so I think yours is pretty high.
March 19, 2007 6:29:00 PM

Yes Im really scared of that.

People say I should trust Core Temp, it shows 55c so I think thats ok.

Anyways, Im gonna keep trying to make this system stable. So far I kinda dislike this board.
Related resources
March 20, 2007 3:22:24 AM

Zalman cooler is junk!

remove it and replace it with a thermalright ultra-120.

at those voltages your cpu will only last 3 -21 months
March 20, 2007 3:23:56 AM

any voltage over 1.45-1.5v is going to reduce your life

your way over that. u need water cooling over 1.55v
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2007 3:39:11 AM

Doesnt coretemp just show the max temp for Tjunction in the "Tjunction" readout. Its at a constant 85C for me, and the Core #0/1 fluctuate normally.
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2007 3:41:58 AM

Quote:
Your bios should be the most accurate.

And how are you going to run orthos in your BIOS? And the BIOS is not necessarily accurate at all. Your temps are going to be odd in the BIOS coz your cpu is not idle nor is it under heavy load, so its kind of invalid.
March 20, 2007 11:28:02 AM

Quote:
Your bios should be the most accurate.

And how are you going to run orthos in your BIOS? And the BIOS is not necessarily accurate at all. Your temps are going to be odd in the BIOS coz your cpu is not idle nor is it under heavy load, so its kind of invalid.

chill kitty, I was referring to voltage readings mostly not in OS monitoring. He was quoting two different voltages. One from an OS utility and one via bios. In which case I would trust the bios more. If you can't do that, what is the point.
a c 99 à CPUs
March 20, 2007 1:03:41 PM

That's a pretty high Vcore. A Core 2 Duo normally runs at what, about 1.3 volts? It's a rule of thumb that you can generally go 10% over and be okay but more than that and you risk burning things up if you leave it up there too long.
a c 473 à CPUs
March 20, 2007 1:41:33 PM

Quote:

Hmmm....

4.05GHz on an E6600 and no watercooling.

Very brave....
March 20, 2007 2:18:38 PM

Regardless of your temps if you want your CPU to work for more than a few months lower you vCore to around 1.50v - 1.55v and get water cooling or see how high you can go on 1.45v or below with your air cooling, because that is just way to high. Hopefully CompuTronix will show up and explain the voltages and cooling a bit better, but I strongly recommend that you lower your vCore!!! Unless of course you really just dont want that CPU for much longer and hopefully your PSU is good as well, because if something is to go wrong with that you may lose more than just your CPU! Hope this helps...

Best,

3Ball
March 20, 2007 6:20:07 PM

Quote:

Hmmm....

4.05GHz on an E6600 and no watercooling.

Very brave....

Sorry my multiplier is 8x so its at 3.6Ghz

Im going to apply the vcore and vdroop fix to my motherboard. Ill see if that fixes my issue.

You guys now scared me, I want my CPU to last at least 2 years!
March 20, 2007 6:31:49 PM

Try to reduce multi to x9 and FSB to 400. According to Intel voltage above 1.55v is very risky and should not be used for everyday use.
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2007 7:37:12 AM

slim142, sometimes I'm focused on my profession, and an important topic gets by me. I just read this thread, and I'm quite shocked 8O that you've applied so much Vcore to your 6600. The guys are telling you straight...you've got way too much Vcore and heat for air cooling, and I can see at a glance that your temps are wrong. So before you permanently toast your CPU, back it down for now, then please read my Sticky regarding proper temps, testing, links, variables and results:

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

There's quite alot of information, so take your time and read carefully, because it's vital that you understand how these temperatures work, and what the correct thermal relationships should be. I'll be watching this thread, so I'll be glad to help you and answer your questions.

Comp 8)
March 22, 2007 7:31:04 PM

Well yes I noticed that and didnt leave it any extra secnd like that so I just changed the multiplier to 7 and now it boots at 1.48v :) 

Trying to make it stable now :) 

Thanks!
!