2000 server installation with Dell PE2300

Hi,
I have a Dell PowerEdge 2300 Server, 704Mb Ram.333Mhz
CPU, SCSI Per2DC Raid with Raid5 on four 73GB SCSI Hard
Drives.Also have an internal tapeBackup unit. All the
Bios and Firware are updated to the latest.I am trying to
install 2000 Server.It goes up to the point where it is
starting to copy files and just hangs. Dell can't seem to
resolve it. Hardware is compatible accourding to Windows
2000 specifications and also Dell's specs.
Can you help me install the 2000 server?
Thank You.
6 answers Last reply
More about 2000 server installation dell pe2300
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    You probably have been there but I'll throw it out anyway. You'll want to
    boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom. The set of four install disks
    can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk
    directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe
    (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

    Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system)
    in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify
    additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
    supplied Windows 2000 driver for your raid controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Danny" wrote:
    | Hi,
    | I have a Dell PowerEdge 2300 Server, 704Mb Ram.333Mhz
    | CPU, SCSI Per2DC Raid with Raid5 on four 73GB SCSI Hard
    | Drives.Also have an internal tapeBackup unit. All the
    | Bios and Firware are updated to the latest.I am trying to
    | install 2000 Server.It goes up to the point where it is
    | starting to copy files and just hangs. Dell can't seem to
    | resolve it. Hardware is compatible accourding to Windows
    | 2000 specifications and also Dell's specs.
    | Can you help me install the 2000 server?
    | Thank You.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Thanx for the help Dave. I did try what you told me but
    it seems to hang on the page where I am supposed to enter
    L to permanently delete the partition . It just stops
    responding. It happens every time and I have tried it
    several times. Can you suggest anything?
    Thanx again.
    Danny.

    install, then again
    >restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to
    avoid unexpected drive
    >letter assignments with your new install.
    >

    >--
    >Regards,

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"Danny" wrote:
    >| Hi,
    >| I have a Dell PowerEdge 2300 Server, 704Mb Ram.333Mhz
    >| CPU, SCSI Per2DC Raid with Raid5 on four 73GB SCSI Hard
    >| Drives.Also have an internal tapeBackup unit. All the
    >| Bios and Firware are updated to the latest.I am trying
    >| install 2000 Server.It goes up to the point where it is
    >| starting to copy files and just hangs. Dell can't seem
    >| resolve it. Hardware is compatible accourding to
    Windows
    >| 2000 specifications and also Dell's specs.
    >| Can you help me install the 2000 server?
    >| Thank You.
    >

    >.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    How about rebuilding the array. Boot your controller utility (Cntl L at POST
    for my PERC 3D) to enter controller bios, low level the drives and rebuild
    the raid5 That would at least get you past that step since there wouldn't be
    anything left to delete.

    --

    "Danny" wrote:
    | Thanx for the help Dave. I did try what you told me but
    | it seems to hang on the page where I am supposed to enter
    | L to permanently delete the partition . It just stops
    | responding. It happens every time and I have tried it
    | several times. Can you suggest anything?
    | Thanx again.
    | Danny.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Should have been
    Cntl H at POST for my PERC 3D

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Somehow the Perc Controller cannot handle the drives.It
    still locks up but when I use the onboard SCSI the
    installation goes fine. However I do have another issue
    with the installation. Here is the description below:-

    Dell Server 2300, Win2K Server installed. During
    installation, the following errors came up 1)
    Installation failed -(when it was registering the files)
    I hit OK then 2)Error during installation of the Task
    Scheduler Service Open Sc Manager Error =1115...Again I
    hit OK and then
    3)Couldn't open Service Manager...After I hit OK on this
    the installation went thru..
    The installation is on a 20 GB partition and has 586MB
    RAM with 333Mhz CPU.

    Now when I am logged onto Windows and I go to Event
    viewer it gives me the following error <Unable to
    complete the operation on "System Log" The interface is
    unknown.>

    Can You help me resolve this issue? Should I do a fresh
    install again?
    Thank You.

    ..

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    | Somehow the Perc Controller cannot handle the drives.It
    | still locks up but when I use the onboard SCSI the
    | installation goes fine.
    * Not really sure what this means.

    However I do have another issue
    | with the installation. Here is the description below:-
    |
    | Dell Server 2300, Win2K Server installed. During
    | installation, the following errors came up 1)
    | Installation failed -(when it was registering the files)
    | I hit OK then 2)Error during installation of the Task
    | Scheduler Service Open Sc Manager Error =1115...Again I
    | hit OK and then
    | 3)Couldn't open Service Manager...After I hit OK on this
    | the installation went thru..
    | The installation is on a 20 GB partition and has 586MB
    | RAM with 333Mhz CPU.
    |
    | Now when I am logged onto Windows and I go to Event
    | viewer it gives me the following error <Unable to
    | complete the operation on "System Log" The interface is
    | unknown.>
    |
    | Can You help me resolve this issue? Should I do a fresh
    | install again?
    * Yes delete the partition and start a new install.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]