stats

This may have been discussed here before, but I can't remember exactly. In
the new genration of games, have the stats actually been made lower
generally for all Pokémon? I was comparing my Crystal team to my Ruby team
and basically all aspects of the stats are higher in general on Crystal than
on Ruby. Even a very average Pokémon like Girafarig had better stats than a
Swampert on some parts. Manectric is supposed to have higher HP and defences
than Electabuzz, but all its stats are lower. I don't mind if all other
Pokémon's stats have been lowered in proportion, as long as that is the
case.

In article <421e8308@x-privat.org>, Chriz <chrizizhere@hotmail.com> wrote:
>This may have been discussed here before, but I can't remember exactly. In
>the new genration of games, have the stats actually been made lower
>generally for all Pokémon?

Sort of. This is how I understand the changes. I may well have details
wrong.

The stats you can see displayed for a Pokemon are the base stats, the
individual variation from the base stats, and stat experience, which
is gained when defeating another Pokemon, and these are scaled according
to level. Base stats have not changed. I think individual variations
have gotten greater, but the real change is in stat experience.

Stat experience can be used to raise the value of a stat by up to
about 64 (I think) at level 100. In the older games, this was the
only limit. In the newer games, there is a limit on the amount
of stat experience, so that only two stats can get the full increase,
and that pretty much hits the limit.

This means that a L100 Crystal Pokemon can have something like
260 more stat points than an otherwise identical L100 Ruby Pokemon,
and that's a lot.

>than Electabuzz, but all its stats are lower. I don't mind if all other
>Pokémon's stats have been lowered in proportion, as long as that is the
>case.

It's a general change, so, yes, all Pokemon stats have been lowered
or limited in the exact same way.

One thing this does is make individual Pokemon more different from
each other. In Crystal, the difference between one maxed-out Houndoom
and another is the individual stat variation, which isn't large.
In Ruby (well, once you catch one in Coliseum and transfer it over,
and possibly start breeding), the difference between one and another
includes the stat experience picked up, so a Houndoom with maxed
special attack has lower stats in other areas.

david@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.

Once upon a time David Thornley decided to write:

> In article <421e8308@x-privat.org>, Chriz <chrizizhere@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>> This may have been discussed here before, but I can't remember
>> exactly. In the new genration of games, have the stats actually been
>> made lower generally for all Pokémon?
>
> Sort of. This is how I understand the changes. I may well have
> details wrong.
>
> The stats you can see displayed for a Pokemon are the base stats, the
> individual variation from the base stats, and stat experience, which
> is gained when defeating another Pokemon, and these are scaled
> according to level. Base stats have not changed. I think individual
> variations have gotten greater, but the real change is in stat
> experience.
>
> Stat experience can be used to raise the value of a stat by up to
> about 64 (I think) at level 100. In the older games, this was the
> only limit. In the newer games, there is a limit on the amount
> of stat experience, so that only two stats can get the full increase,
> and that pretty much hits the limit.
>
> This means that a L100 Crystal Pokemon can have something like
> 260 more stat points than an otherwise identical L100 Ruby Pokemon,
> and that's a lot.
>
>> than Electabuzz, but all its stats are lower. I don't mind if all
>> other Pokémon's stats have been lowered in proportion, as long as
>> that is the case.
>>
> It's a general change, so, yes, all Pokemon stats have been lowered
> or limited in the exact same way.
>
> One thing this does is make individual Pokemon more different from
> each other. In Crystal, the difference between one maxed-out Houndoom
> and another is the individual stat variation, which isn't large.
> In Ruby (well, once you catch one in Coliseum and transfer it over,
> and possibly start breeding), the difference between one and another
> includes the stat experience picked up, so a Houndoom with maxed
> special attack has lower stats in other areas.

Thanks for that. I think I remember reading something about that here, but I
couldn't really remember.