Sign in with
Your question

Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus with e4300 CPU @ 3.0 GHz - Cant 3dMark

Last response: in Overclocking
March 19, 2007 5:18:34 PM

Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone out there is familiar with the Asus board that I have.

Here are my full system specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 @ 3.0 GHz
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) / Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
Video: EVGA GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 / Model 256-P2-N615-TX
Cooling: Thermaltake CL-P0370 92mm Enter CPU Cooler / Arctic Silver
PSU: Winchell 450 watt PSU

Right now, I'm running @ 3.0 GHz (333 MHz x 9.0)

I can use the system fine... no BSOD or reboots during my regular usage. However when I run 3dmark 05, my system reboots during the later tests. At first, it would reboot during the 2nd boat/dragon demo.

I switched the memory from Unlinked to Linked (sync mode).

Now I can get through the 2nd boat/dragon demo, but now it reboots on the 2nd demo of the shootout.

I was running on stock voltages. I tried setting RAM to 2.0v and my VCore to 1.40v but this hasn't fixed the issue.

I have tried with Linkboost on and off, and I've kept NVidia Ex to disabled.

I'm using 2GB of G.Skill DDR2 800, manually set to 5-5-5-15

What are the voltage settings 1.2VHT and CPU VTT ? Do I need to modify these to run stable? Is my system underpowered with the 450 watt?

Thanks!
March 20, 2007 12:28:10 PM

How long can you run a stress test on it before it bombs out? prime95, FAH, TAT, etc.

Have you tried a 3d game to see if it is a power consumption issue? Try something that will tax the CPU and GPU, and if it resets it could be power supply or thermal issues with CPU.
March 20, 2007 2:52:00 PM

Thanks for your response!

I just tried Prime95 this morning. I ran two instances together in torture mode for about 10 minutes. I didn't have any errors, but the 2nd instance only stayed on "Test 1" while the other instance went up to "Test 3".

Significance?

In regards to 3D games, I haven't really tried any except World of Warcraft... which I just downloaded and only played for ~10 minutes.

I did some video encoding, it was fast and reliable. I hadn't really had any issues other than not being able to complete 3dMark 05 while overclocked.

I will try a stress test over a longer period today. I just didn't want to leave it running while I was at work cause my PC is doing other things.

I set my memory timings to 5-5-5-15 1T @ 2.0v and I set the memory speed to 667 MHz. I was running my RAM at the regular 800 MHz, but when I put it in FSB Linked mode (Sync 2:1) I had better success. Then I put it in unlinked @ 667 MHz and had similar results.

I also set my VCore to 1.375v and CPU VTT to 1.35v

Last night I did successfully complete 3dMark05 while overclocked, for the first time. I ran it with my Asus PC Probe running to watch temps, I think it peaked at 44 C. I turned that stuff off and ran it again, but it wouldn't finish! Definitely not the stability I'm looking for.

I'm wondering if it's my board. This board is a weird "hybrid" board, that combines the North & South Bridges from two different chipsets.

It could be my board, my RAM, or my 450w PSU.

I'm thinking I'll get a new board. I bought this one because it's Quad ready, has dual x16 PCI-E slots, and a PCI-e slot for a physics card. But I'm having a hell of a time overclocking :( 
Related resources
March 20, 2007 5:33:40 PM

use TAT for finding temps... run orthos/prime 95 for more than 8hrs (i actually do it for 24hrs) tighten up your timings little like 4-4-4-12 u will have to increase your ram voltage to for tightining up..
March 20, 2007 5:51:28 PM

I can't use TAT, as my board has a hybrid chipset, the 650i and something else. I'm pretty sure TAT only works on the Intel chipset.

Asus PC Proble shows my temps idle ~26 C and load ~40 C.

I will use the other speed / temp programs later though, just to be sure.

As for memory... my memory is rated 5-5-5-15 and 1.8v to 2.0v - will taking it above 2.0v cause any problems? Wouldn't I need active cooling at that point? I'm nervous to go +0.3 or +0.4 without the RAM specifying that rating.

What do you suggest?
March 20, 2007 5:56:03 PM

i oced my ram from 1.8 to 2.1 from 5-5-5-12. i dnt now how to measure the ram temp. just up it 0.2+ or 0.3+
March 22, 2007 4:03:42 PM

I put my Vcore to 1.325 and the rest on "Auto".

I ran Prime95 (two instances on cores 0 and 1).

I went to Subway, on foot.

Got back ~15-20 minutes later.

It had moved into the 2nd phase, several tests, no errors... but my CPU temp was 64 C so I stopped it.

I used Asus Probe II to get the temp. I can't run TAT, my board's chipset doesn't support it.

This thing is wearing me thin... :( 
March 23, 2007 8:05:34 PM

Should I just get rid of this board?? NOBODY seems to know ANYTHING about this Asus board. Even the customer reviews on NewEgg conflict. It seems like half the people who have this board are convinced it's got a 680i chipset.

Does anyone out there know anything about this board? This board labels all the voltages uniquely, so I can't even figure out what settings I need to modify.

Newegg charges a 15% restocking fee, so I want to be sure whether it's a board issue or not before returning it.
March 23, 2007 8:11:33 PM

i dont know whats the matter with your e4300...this board OCs pretty well like upto 400 and above... try to up your Vmch 1.55 ( and do u have any cooling on your northbridge...put a 80mm fan on it) up your Vsb (2 notch up from your default. raise your VCore to 1.4.. and try the fsb 350 and multi at x8 if it boots then up your fsb again not the multi
March 23, 2007 8:17:08 PM

My board doesnt have options in BIOS for "vmch" and "vsb'. Do you know what else they might be labeled? Mine has these options (off memory, not in front of PC) -

VCore
CPU VTT
MEM Voltage
MEM TERM
1.2 VHT
NB
SB

and I think that's it.

What should I set all of those things to ?

THanks for your reply!!
March 23, 2007 8:21:29 PM

Vmch means NB
Vsb means SB
March 23, 2007 8:29:17 PM

Thanks man! I will try that as soon as I get home. If it fails... well... my next post will be a YouTube link... to a video of me smashing this board to pieces.
March 23, 2007 8:32:30 PM

lolz....better to give it me for free :lol: 
March 25, 2007 12:29:25 PM

You da man! Those settings worked. Then, I raised the FSB up to 375 and set all voltages to "auto". I can now 3dmark all day long. Also, I re-seated my cooling unit. I had wayyy too much Arctic Silver on there, and am now running much cooler. However, I still see it peak at ~60 C with Prime95 before I shut it off... but that's in the 3rd phase of tests. Are my temps okay? I idle at around 21 C. Thanks again for your help!
March 25, 2007 3:18:37 PM

i think its high because in AUTO the mobo sets very high voltages
March 25, 2007 5:17:04 PM

I think it went that high with manual voltages too, but I will try that. Thanks
March 25, 2007 6:11:59 PM

Quote:
You da man! Those settings worked. Then, I raised the FSB up to 375 and set all voltages to "auto". I can now 3dmark all day long. Also, I re-seated my cooling unit. I had wayyy too much Arctic Silver on there, and am now running much cooler. However, I still see it peak at ~60 C with Prime95 before I shut it off... but that's in the 3rd phase of tests. Are my temps okay? I idle at around 21 C. Thanks again for your help!

Something isn't right here. You idle at 21c.... what are you using to cool it? Load is 60C? Forgive me, but I really don't see there being a 40c delta in your temps. That isn't right. The temp delta should be 20-25c max. This just doesn't sound ok. What are you using to monitor temps?

FYI Intel TAT works on all chipsets that I know of. E4300 sometimes causes issues and it misreports the temps but there is a sticky on C2D temps.

I ran Intel TAT on an AMD chipset :wink:
March 26, 2007 12:32:42 AM

I'm using SpeedFan to monitor temp... also using Asus Probe II. When I run 3dMark, the temp only peaks at ~40 C. However Prime95 (two instances) averages ~45 but peaks up to ~60... not for long though. I have a Thermaltake Enter CPU cooler... designed much like the Arctic Freezer 7. I can provide screenshots if you'd like....
March 26, 2007 5:13:46 AM

Quote:
I'm using SpeedFan to monitor temp... also using Asus Probe II. When I run 3dMark, the temp only peaks at ~40 C. However Prime95 (two instances) averages ~45 but peaks up to ~60... not for long though. I have a Thermaltake Enter CPU cooler... designed much like the Arctic Freezer 7. I can provide screenshots if you'd like....

You idle at 21c with air cooling.... do you have EIST enabled? What is the ambient temp?

Forgive me for being skeptical, but with water I didn't get down that low, of course I didn't have C2Q enabled on my AMD :?

Just seems very peculiar that you idle at 70F....

Mind you this isn't a shot at you... just a mystery to me and it needs solving :D 
March 26, 2007 7:40:39 AM

I dont know what EIST is, or the ambient temp. It's warmer in here right now, but I was still idling at 23 C.

March 26, 2007 10:34:12 AM

hi... EIST is a Technology that reduces multiplyer as well as Vcore to reduce temp if in idle state. You can disable it in BIOS, search for EIST and C1E disable both of them. as i was seeing the second picture i saw that your ram is at 9:8 (DRAM:FSB). i would suggest you to put it 1:1. this will put your RAM to 750. (i.e. 375 in CPU-Z)
March 26, 2007 11:14:17 AM

Those screenshot concern me. Your voltages seem way out of whack.

vcore2 of 3.2v?

3.3v rail of 0v?

Weird things are going on.... Danger Will Robinson :lol: 

Ambient temp is the temperature in the surrounding environment, so in this case the temp in your room.
March 26, 2007 2:34:06 PM

Aye crap you're right, that doesn't look so good. I'll set up voltages back up manually, hopefully that fixes it. I didn't even notice the core2 voltage... however in my BIOS, I don't think I can set vcore1 and vcore2 independently... does setting "Vcore" just set them both then? Is it safe to keep my machine running? I'm at work but can login remotely and shut it down.

Also... could these be misreadings because it's a "hybrid" board? Two chipsets... NB 650i and SB 590.
March 26, 2007 3:18:03 PM

Quote:
does setting "Vcore" just set them both then? Is it safe to keep my machine running? I'm at work but can login remotely and shut it down.

Also... could these be misreadings because it's a "hybrid" board? Two chipsets... NB 650i and SB 590.

I've never seen a BIOS (even DFI) that allows separetely settig vcores, so yes setting vcore will set both.

Your computer should be safe for the moment but it should be investigated. 3.3v isn't a critical rail. 12v is your main rail where most of the power is drawn from. 3.3v powers small items (if any really lol).

It is possible that they are errors, speedfan may just be behind the times and need an update.

EDIT: Ok after sifting through some of the speedfan bug reports I am willing to say that your 3.3v rail is fine. It seems to be an error with ASus P5(X) board in general. The P5N SLI board has issues with the fan reporting a massive fan RPM of like 15000000. It has also been noted on a few boards that the 3.3v rail is reported as 0v when it has been verfied with a digital multimeter.

In other words... you appear to be fine. Although I still envy your idle temps. :D 

Assuming they aren't errors :wink:

J/k
March 26, 2007 3:25:28 PM

Okay, good. So what about the temps? Idling in low 20's... I hit 40 C under what I consider a "load", but not a true 100% load... Prime95 running twice pushes me to ~60 C. Should I post screenshots of that as well? What would cause that kind of swing? Is that too hot? It never gets that hot with the way I actually use the machine, so I'd figure I'm safe...
January 9, 2011 5:59:28 AM

waleedhk said:
i dont know whats the matter with your e4300...this board OCs pretty well like upto 400 and above... try to up your Vmch 1.55 ( and do u have any cooling on your northbridge...put a 80mm fan on it) up your Vsb (2 notch up from your default. raise your VCore to 1.4.. and try the fsb 350 and multi at x8 if it boots then up your fsb again not the multi

i hav this e4300 proc.need help with overclocking it,im a newbies,add me in facebook using email superhackers_return@hotmail.com
!