Sign in with
Your question

Computer gone dead, need help bad

Last response: in Components
March 19, 2007 6:05:57 PM

I didn't know where to put this, so here goes,need help bad, I had my computer on and when i came back to it it had froze so I turn it off and then back on and nothing on the screen at all. I took the back off and there is a red light near the ram module. just did this all of a sudden. Do anyone have a idea,when you start it there is no beep, just come on as usual, i tried the monitor with another and it works and the hard drive works in another computer, but it has to be something else, i checked the connectors, all seem to be connected, fan running but no display at all, no light in front, but activity light when i press start

More about : computer dead bad

March 19, 2007 6:17:33 PM

first post ur full system specs man , help us help u.

red light in some cases means short circuit, but it depens on the mobo u have, post ur specs

did you tried an oc? or ur comp is stock? anyway did you try to reset the bios??
March 19, 2007 6:47:30 PM

my machine spec are
CPU: AMD Athlon™ XP 2200+ Processor with QuantiSpeed™ architecture
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Chipset: VIA KM 266
Memory: 512MB DDR PC 2100 (DDR for optimal performance)
Hard Drive: 200GB HDD
Optical Drive: 48x Max. CD-RW Drive, 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Video: S3 ProSavage8™ integrated (1 AGP slot available)
Sound: AC '97 Audio

Nod32 antivirus
outpost firewall

Just when i press the start button the activity light comes on but no light in front on display and no display on monitor, you can hear the fan running, the right light is on the motherboard near the ram
Related resources
March 19, 2007 6:49:41 PM

Unplug everything and plug it back in. You may also want to check to make sure that your wall outlet is not the problem. Check these and get back with us and yes your system specs would help.
March 19, 2007 7:00:36 PM

did all that and nothing
March 19, 2007 7:05:35 PM

Get a PSU tester.
March 19, 2007 7:11:21 PM

what is that and what do it do
March 19, 2007 9:15:35 PM

just bought a new video card and installed but its not working, i have a optimal mouse but its not lightin up on boot
March 20, 2007 5:33:32 AM

ok friend here we go,
since its gonna be quite a long reading and writing , first tell me ur up to try hard, since its not easy if ur not familiarized <--i just made up tht word/\ lol
we need to remove ur mobo from ur case also the psu to test them and search for the faulty component
if u post some pics of ur comp motherboard and case, i can tell you how to do it, no worries is not so hard, i can even post pics of the steps im my webpage if u need them....
what card u bought, also any chanse u know what mobo u have?
March 20, 2007 11:27:36 AM

thanks for all the help, I don't have the ability to send a pic, I'm on a friend pc and the psu is not old, just got the computer 2yr. I put in a new power supply unit and still the same thing. someone said that it maybe the card and i just got a new one. I unhooked all cable and connected one at a time and still no go. my last resort is the shop. thanks
March 20, 2007 6:18:26 PM

before going to the store man to get new components u should try removing the mobo from the case to verify than the motherboard is not making contact with the case, since thts a regular cause of short circuit in mobos
!