Closed

format ntfs from dos

hi
i have ntfs partitions, and i have a win2000 non bootable
CD room,
I want to install win2000 from a dos bootable floopy drive
which has already detected CD rom, but it fails to read
ntfs partition.
i want to format ntfs partition from dos bootable so that
i can install fresh win2000
6 answers Last reply
More about format ntfs
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    dos does not NTFS partitions

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    opps sorry. DOS does not read NTFS partitions

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    prompts.

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "kandarp" wrote:
    | hi
    | i have ntfs partitions, and i have a win2000 non bootable
    | CD room,
    | I want to install win2000 from a dos bootable floopy drive
    | which has already detected CD rom, but it fails to read
    | ntfs partition.
    | i want to format ntfs partition from dos bootable so that
    | i can install fresh win2000
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Dave,

    Your suggestion is very useful. It gives me a clue on how I can format my
    NTFS primary partition. However, I didn't get to the point where I can
    choose to delete a partition. After Disk 4 was loaded, it showed "Starting
    Windows 2000" and then a error message in blue screen.

    I am trying to get rid of the previous unsuccessful WinXP installation.

    Please help. Thanks a lot in advance.

    Lok
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Hi,

    Things have changed a bit. I tried again and it did move on further. It
    said that the system is ready to install Windows 2000 but it cannot find a
    CD-ROM. I use a SONY notebook which comes with only 1 USB port for both
    floppy and CD-ROM drives (swap). Can I load USB drive before the
    installation moves on?

    Thanks!

    Lok
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Hi,

    Things have changed a bit. I tried again and it did move on further. It
    said that the system is ready to install Windows 2000 but it cannot find a
    CD-ROM. I use a SONY notebook which comes with only 1 USB port for both
    floppy and CD-ROM drives (swap). Can I load USB drive before the
    installation moves on?

    Thanks!

    Lok

DOS NTFS CD-Rom Partition Format Windows