Closed

format ntfs from dos

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 18, 2004 6:29:29 AM

hi
i have ntfs partitions, and i have a win2000 non bootable
CD room,
I want to install win2000 from a dos bootable floopy drive
which has already detected CD rom, but it fails to read
ntfs partition.
i want to format ntfs partition from dos bootable so that
i can install fresh win2000

More about : format ntfs dos

June 19, 2004 10:19:38 AM

dos does not NTFS partitions

Anonymous
June 19, 2004 10:23:31 AM

opps sorry. DOS does not read NTFS partitions

June 19, 2004 11:54:22 AM

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"kandarp" wrote:
| hi
| i have ntfs partitions, and i have a win2000 non bootable
| CD room,
| I want to install win2000 from a dos bootable floopy drive
| which has already detected CD rom, but it fails to read
| ntfs partition.
| i want to format ntfs partition from dos bootable so that
| i can install fresh win2000
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 4:22:58 PM

Dave,

Your suggestion is very useful. It gives me a clue on how I can format my
NTFS primary partition. However, I didn't get to the point where I can
choose to delete a partition. After Disk 4 was loaded, it showed "Starting
Windows 2000" and then a error message in blue screen.

I am trying to get rid of the previous unsuccessful WinXP installation.

Please help. Thanks a lot in advance.

Lok
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 4:42:46 PM

Hi,

Things have changed a bit. I tried again and it did move on further. It
said that the system is ready to install Windows 2000 but it cannot find a
CD-ROM. I use a SONY notebook which comes with only 1 USB port for both
floppy and CD-ROM drives (swap). Can I load USB drive before the
installation moves on?

Thanks!

Lok
Anonymous