Active Window Border goes Inactive

Every minute or two my active screen goes inactive no matter what web site
I'm on. The hour glass appears and there is hard drive activity. While this
is going on I am not in control of my page. I have to click the page to
continue, even here while I am typing this question. Also the computer
beeps. I finished typing "...beep." (above) and the screen went inactive.
When I clicked the screen to activate it again the cursor went to the front
of this message instead of where I last left it. Because this is constantly
going on the computer never gets to the save screen mode.
This happens when I'm not connected to the internet too. For example the
same thing happens when I am using programs that do not require connection
to the internet.
I posted this question before and did what was suggested such as using
several spyware, malware, etc progs. Nothing showed up. There must be a prog
in my hard drive that automatically activated every minute or so but I can't
find it. If I could de-activate it several other issues would be solved,
such as the screen saver and hibernation settings. Appreciate any help.
Bill
--
b.l.
3 answers Last reply

    If your system is clear of viruses and any malware (you need to run both
    antivirus and adware scanning tools, not just one or the other if you have
    not already done so), if this is a relatively recent issue, you might try
    running System Restore to take your system back to a time prior to when this
    began.

    Other things you can do. Open Internet Explorer, assuming that is your
    browser, go to Tools, select Manage Add-ons, one at a time, select an
    enabled item, disable it, run the system and see if you still have the
    problem as sometimes, such plug-ins can be the source of such issues and
    this might determine which is the cause if such is the case.

    Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
    errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
    contained within may give a clue as to the
    source of the problem.

    Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
    drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
    the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
    system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
    known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
    download using that as this is a rather large download.

    Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
    card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. No not use
    Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
    you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
    by Microsoft.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Every minute or two my active screen goes inactive no matter what web site
    > I'm on. The hour glass appears and there is hard drive activity. While
    > this
    > is going on I am not in control of my page. I have to click the page to
    > continue, even here while I am typing this question. Also the computer
    > beeps. I finished typing "...beep." (above) and the screen went inactive.
    > When I clicked the screen to activate it again the cursor went to the
    > front
    > of this message instead of where I last left it. Because this is
    > constantly
    > going on the computer never gets to the save screen mode.
    > This happens when I'm not connected to the internet too. For example the
    > same thing happens when I am using programs that do not require
    > connection
    > to the internet.
    > I posted this question before and did what was suggested such as using
    > several spyware, malware, etc progs. Nothing showed up. There must be a
    > prog
    > in my hard drive that automatically activated every minute or so but I
    > can't
    > find it. If I could de-activate it several other issues would be solved,
    > such as the screen saver and hibernation settings. Appreciate any help.
    > Bill
    > --
    > b.l.

    Thank you Michael. I appreciate your response and I think I have it
    narrowed it down to maybe it is an ATI application that is causing the
    problem and running in the background. Something is running in the
    background. I have Pinnacle Studio 9 installed and use it frequently. I
    need to know where to go from here and perhaps you may help me with how to
    stop it.

    I went to msconfig and looked at the StartUp items and found LaunchPd.exe.
    in "C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\LaunchPd.exe". Thought this might be
    it. I unchecked the command and did a reboot. For the first time the Welcome
    Screen, after the 5 min time delay, went to the MS Screen Saver. "FINALLY I
    got a Screen Saver". So I thought I found the culprit and solved the
    problem. (It's location is in
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run).

    After the Welcome Screen I went to Internet Explorer but sure enough the
    problem came back. So I went back to msconfig to see if I missed something.
    What happenned was that the original box which I unchecked was there alright
    , still unchecked, but now it is listed as
    "C:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run".

    Oddly, and why I don't know, there was a checked box of
    "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run". Same as before. It
    looks like it re-installed itself and that is why, likely, the problem
    returned. This re-creation of the same file was not expected.
    I went to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and changed ATI Hotkey
    Poller from automatic to "Manual" hoping that would do it but it doesn't.
    Maybe I should change it back to "Automatic". There is an ATI Smart there and
    it is listed as "Automatic". Here are some other ATI stuff in StartUp too.
    They are ATISched, ATIRW, ATIDtct, and atiptaxx. Should these all be
    unchecked. Should I be going to HKCU and deleting LaunchPd.exe. If I have
    to go to the Registry to make changes I'm somewhat comfortable with that. I
    could troubleshoot each of these in StartUp one at a time but why the
    re-activation of the same HKCU line in StartUp. Defeats the deletion in the
    first step. Help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Bill

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> [...]
    > > front
    > > of this message instead of where I last left it. Because this is
    > > constantly
    > > going on the computer never gets to the save screen mode.
    > > This happens when I'm not connected to the internet too. For example the
    > > same thing happens when I am using programs that do not require
    > > connection
    > > to the internet.
    > > I posted this question before and did what was suggested such as using
    > > several spyware, malware, etc progs. Nothing showed up. There must be a
    > > prog
    > > in my hard drive that automatically activated every minute or so but I
    > > can't
    > > find it. If I could de-activate it several other issues would be solved,
    > > such as the screen saver and hibernation settings. Appreciate any help.

    Is the ATI icon loading in the notification area, that's the area to the
    immediate left of the time and date. If yes, right click the icon and see
    if there's a means to stop if from placing the icon there at bootup as it
    can still load portions of the ATI options on bootup which may be the source
    of this issue.

    Also, I'd check Event Viewer to see if you can see something that seems to
    occur when you see this problem. What you might see is an error that is
    only symptomatic but you also might find the actual source of the issue.
    Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer and go to
    the various tabs looking for such errors. If you fine any such
    corresponding errors, double click the error as the information contained
    within may give a clue as to the source.

    One other point, are your ATI drivers the latest XP compatible drivers from
    the ATI site, if not, you might want to check that out as well as there may
    be some conflict with earlier drivers or drivers you installed directly from
    the ATI driver install disk.

    --

> [...]
    >> > of this message instead of where I last left it. Because this is
    >> > constantly
    >> > going on the computer never gets to the save screen mode.
    >> > This happens when I'm not connected to the internet too. For example
    >> > the
    >> > same thing happens when I am using programs that do not require
    >> > connection
    >> > to the internet.
    >> > I posted this question before and did what was suggested such as using
    >> > several spyware, malware, etc progs. Nothing showed up. There must be
    >> > prog
    >> > in my hard drive that automatically activated every minute or so but I
    >> > can't
    >> > find it. If I could de-activate it several other issues would be
    >> > solved,
    >> > such as the screen saver and hibernation settings. Appreciate any

Windows XP