Sign in with
Your question

dual PCI cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 19, 2007 9:09:56 PM

hey i just wanted to know if i could run 2 PCI cards together neither of which are PCI express, or if its possible for me to install a PCI express port or AGP port to my motherboard? the motherboard model is MIS name: MS-6577 M-ATX Rev. 3.1 (Giovani), Rev. 4.0 (Giovani2)

here are some images for it

thanks,
Andrew

More about : dual pci cards

March 19, 2007 9:21:17 PM

Unfortunately, it looks like you cannot run AGP cards.

However, it is possible to run two PCI cards just fine.
March 19, 2007 9:32:12 PM

thanks but also how would i overclock it because its not available in the BIOS menu?
and would i have to by a special cable to connect both cards together?
Related resources
March 19, 2007 9:35:38 PM

What are you trying to do exactly? This may be a golden opportunity to upgrade your computer. If the BIOS menu does not have an overclocking option at all, the motherboard will have to be upgraded before any overclocking can take place.
March 19, 2007 9:38:26 PM

well the thing is that i dont have 50$ to buy more ram and i heard about overclocking so i wanted to try it out but i dont know how. i need to get a job i know. lol i read somewhere that u have to switch the jumper cables around but i dont know which ones and to where.
andrew
March 19, 2007 9:38:57 PM

You can't overclock a video card though the BIOS. You need a program such as ATI Tool or RivaTuner.

Also, you cannot connect the cards together, you can only run dual cards, but they are separate, for multiple monitor setups. Can't SLI/CF.
March 19, 2007 9:46:02 PM

ok gotcha wat bout my processor i want to overclok that too
its a intel celeron cpu 2.80 ghz or like 349mhz or somin
can i overclock that?
March 19, 2007 9:47:15 PM

You cannot overclock with that board. It looks suspiciously like a Gateway, HP, Compaq etc.... It's an entry level 845 chipset which wasn't meant for overclocking and the lack of an AGP port reeks of OEMness.

Sorry.
March 19, 2007 9:50:38 PM

kk thanks yea its a compaq presario
but i did have a new one in mind heres the link
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4907791?site=sr:SEARCH...
my comp is the compaq presario s6100nx
could i slap this new one in or is it to small or large?

also do the gfx cards have to be the same model or can they be varied same maker and type just varied models like a 256 one also cause i have a geforce fx 5200 and i want to add a PNY FX 5200 256MB PCI Graphics Card is that possible?
March 19, 2007 11:56:02 PM

Nope. That one won't work.... That one is a Socket AM2 AMD motherboard. A.K.A- Not gonna work.
Look for a socket 478 motherboard.
March 20, 2007 12:31:36 AM

look andrew, you obviously dont have any idea as to what you are doing. why dont you go by a dell desktop, and never open it.
March 20, 2007 12:41:57 AM

Quote:
look andrew, you obviously dont have any idea as to what you are doing. why dont you go by a dell desktop, and never open it.

@aximbigfan: Thats enough of that!!! :evil:  If you can't be constructive, just go somewhere else! The people here on the THG forumz are here to help others, of all technical knowledge. If someone wants to build their own computer, help them out. If you can't, then don't comment, and somebody else will leave them a helpful and constructive comment.
March 20, 2007 12:56:29 AM

Indeed...all kinds of people frequent "Tom`s". The very brightest to the novice, but all have questions and answers. Thanks to the "original poster"..I now know what one Compact Motherboard looks like and some of its limitations. :) 
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2007 1:06:23 AM

Quote:
You cannot overclock with that board. It looks suspiciously like a Gateway, HP, Compaq etc.... It's an entry level 845 chipset which wasn't meant for overclocking and the lack of an AGP port reeks of OEMness.

Sorry.

This is why I started looking into building my own systems. When I bought my first Compaq PC (mistake), it didn't have a AGP slot in it, which I didn't know much about PC's at the time to look for it. I was very frustrated when I had to put in a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI in, when I could've had an AGP card. This frustrates the heck out of me! So hopefully the OP will get the idea that maybe he/she can build their own and get out of buying OEM's!!!! FREEDOM at LAST!!!
March 20, 2007 1:13:10 AM

lol thanks guys yea i am a novice when it comes to computers parts
kinda sad but anyway thanks for the help
ill make a mental note to stray away from compaq comps thanks

o also so if i were to buy a whole new case could i get any motherboard i want then???
cause i wanted to get a bigger case not a fancier 4 fan case just a bigger one.
because i want to have a min of 3 PCI ports (like i have already) but also atleast 3 PCI-E ports and atleast 1 AGP port.
Thanks a mill
Andrew
March 20, 2007 1:59:04 AM

I think we would like to know what on earth you want to do.

You need 3 PCI slots? what on earth for?
You need 3 PCI-E slots? What on earth for?
And yet you also want a single AGP Slot? what on earth for?

You will not find any such motherboard with THREE PCI-E slots and an AGP port. I think you need to catch on up on the last five years of computing. Some of your questions don't even make any sense. Start at the start, and tell us what you are trying to DO. We can then help you find out what you need.

To us, you're asking questions like "I need three neck holes in my shirt, six left arm holes, and a pocket for my belt buckle collection" we are just scratching our heads here...
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2007 2:27:41 AM

Quote:
I think we would like to know what on earth you want to do.

You need 3 PCI slots? what on earth for?
You need 3 PCI-E slots? What on earth for?
And yet you also want a single AGP Slot? what on earth for?

You will not find any such motherboard with THREE PCI-E slots and an AGP port. I think you need to catch on up on the last five years of computing. Some of your questions don't even make any sense. Start at the start, and tell us what you are trying to DO. We can then help you find out what you need.

To us, you're asking questions like "I need three neck holes in my shirt, six left arm holes, and a pocket for my belt buckle collection" we are just scratching our heads here...

And please don't forget to give us a budget for your projected plan. We all strive hard to fit everything needed into a given budget. I, for one, don't have alot of spare $ sitting around to spend, so I usually have a very tight budget to work with.

We aren't trying to sound rude, but we do need full details on what your looking to do and for how much. I know you originally had just wanted to add a slot on your motherboard, but now you have realized that there is more to this than that.

You have come the the right place to get help. I'm not an expert, by any means, but I do like to help if I can.

I didn't mean to it sound like the Compaq computer was a bad thing, just a learning experience for me. Compaq, HP, Dell all have their proprietary motherboards and power supply cables and other things. This doesn't necessarially make them bad, but it does limit your options (if any) when you want to change things on the inside of the case. :) 
March 20, 2007 2:54:01 AM

Ok Andrew. There are several choices for you ahead. I will try to make this as easy and painless as possible.

Choice 1= Upgrade your current PC. This involves replacing the motherboard and graphics card. (And maybe the power supply) This will gain you a decent gaming PC with very minimal upgrade capabilities. However, the PC will be able to run any game out right now with decent settings. Should be ok for the next 1 1/2 to 2 years for games. COST- ~$250.

Choice 2= Build a new PC from scratch. We can reuse some components, like the hard drive and DVD-Burner. Everything else will be replaced, including the processor, motherboard, power supply, case, and RAM. With this option, you should be able to play any game out for the next 4-5 years with upgrades throughout its life cycle. (new graphics card) COST ~$800. (Could be lower, and could be much higher depending on component choices.)

Andrew, tell me what you think of the two major options I have written here, then I'll ask you some more questions. :D 
March 20, 2007 10:33:20 PM

lol ok sadly since i dont have enough money to build from scratch ill do option 1 but since i have to by a new motherboard i would have to by a new case then right cause i searched the other ones that someone said i can use and they are no better. they just have different settings like 3 PCI ports and 1 AGP or 3 PCI ports and 1 PCI-E or 5 PCI ...
what i want to do is be able later on when i have 2000$ in the future (i hope) to build a computer so that i can run top of the line games like halo 2 when it comes out which means i have to buy vista, which is 159$ right there because if/when i do buy it i'm going to get home premium. But also i want it to be fast enough so that i can run the settings on the highest possible for games, music (i love it so i want the best quality) and video. but my dad (who used to build comps) said that i'd probably need to buy a new power supply, then a new case, motherboard, RAM. i dont need a new procesor i like the one i have and i have 380 total gigs of hard disk space so im good with that. but thanks for the major support guys :) 

Oh also is it possible to put a DDR RAM stick into a DDR2 slot
because i dont want to move to DDR2 when i have 768 RAM of DDR and plan on buying 3 more DDR 512 Patriot PC2700 333MHz cards?
March 20, 2007 11:03:17 PM

Quote:
Oh also is it possible to put a DDR RAM stick into a DDR2 slot because i dont want to move to DDR2 when i have 768 RAM of DDR and plan on buying 3 more DDR 512 Patriot PC2700 333MHz cards?

No, but there are a few mobos that will allow both DDR and DDr2 (but not at the same time).
March 20, 2007 11:55:27 PM

ok heres a list of stuffs i want to get
i couldnt find a mobo that fits with my processor and RAM, or a mobo that i want that supports my RAM (ill get one with a processor on it)
nor did i pick a case cause i dont know what size i would need to get
but anyways here it is
my list for upgrades
March 21, 2007 12:02:38 AM

Your shopping cart is saved in a cookie on your computer, none of us have that cookie so none of us can see your shopping cart.
March 21, 2007 12:49:11 AM

Quote:
lol woops sry here's the url then
http://shop4.outpost.com/ShopCartServlet?action=display...

shakes head in utter disbelief at this entire thread.

You cats still gonna rag on aximbigfan's most accurate post on this topic?

what do you need 5 PCI slots for budget man? 1. Sound card, 2. TV card....um... 3. Raid Card? 4. SCSI scanner interface? 5... I'm out.

if you loose the MB you also loose your legit copy of windows... when you become a college student, in about 10 years it sounds like, you can get an academic version of vista premium for about $70.
March 21, 2007 12:53:58 AM

it says your cart is empty. but really though, your current system isnt very upgradable as it is... the better option, would be to keep your system how it is, and save up enough money to assemble 'most' of a tower from scratch, and reuse parts from your existing system when possible to fill in the unpurchased (needed) parts.

a retail copy of the OS you know youll need

if you want to reuse your existing ddr1 memory, youll need an ATX or mATX motherboard that has ddr1 memory slots (ddr2 has 240pins, wheras ddr1 has 184pins, so physically theyre not compatible)

a socket 939 setup is a fairly inexpensive option, making it possibly your best choice currently, if youre wanting to keep your memory anyhow (and soon to be cheaper in the next couple months or so i believe, due to another price drop from amd)

socket 939 supports either agp or PCI-e, some motherboard have both (and some mATX motherboards have an integrated gpu too, giving you the option to upgrade to an add on gpu later on, integrated gpu performance typically isnt top notch either though)

youll need a new cpu, preferrably a s939 X2 or a s939 dual core opteron if you can

youll need an ATX power supply (preferrably a seperate purchase), with the needed amps dependant on what hardware you purchase

youll need an ATX case (without power supply), something as cheap as $40 may work here

and, you can possibly just reuse your hard drives, cd drives, floppy drive, monitor, kb, mouse, speakers, etc

if you were to ditch your ddr1 memory though, and go with ddr2, youll have more upgrade options available
March 21, 2007 8:11:02 PM

sounds like you wanna have a better experience and do some gaming IMO. back in '04 i bought the hp a610y that had that exact mobo. the only thing you can do with it is to get a better proc ( you can only upgrade to 533fsb ), buy more ram ( you can only get ddr 2100 because the mobo will only recognize that speed only ) and get a pci graphics card ( bestbuy sells the 6200oc for around 150 bones ). ALL these things i have already done back then and was still terrible in comparison to my current setup which is an agp mobo.

i would say think very carefully about what it is you want to do with your pc and then go from there. for instance, you really wan't to play some games of today and what will come out later. then start saving your chips for a pcie setup! first start building your understanding about what it is your gonna buy and how the stuff works. ask more questions because when you do you might find out that you don't need 3 pcie mobo set up! good luck and congratulations on finding out you got beat out of your money like me in buying a brand name pc rather then building your own. hell, i'll always build my own after that expience!

oh! you can't overclock with that mobo as it is locked. hp always sees to that!

one slight correction! you can buy ddr 3200 ( witch is tops for socket 478 ) for that mobo but, it will just bust you back down to 2100 speeds!
March 29, 2007 11:00:48 PM

ok so i did research i
i decided that i would upgrade to ddr2 as someone suggested.
but i would like to know now if what i have picked is good for the estimated amount of money (subtotal) it racks up too

mobo: A-bit N28 Nvidia nForce 4 SLI Socket LGA 775 ATX (and it supports my cpu) $100

power supplies: Antec Basiq 500w $60

Ram: Kingston DDR@ 1 gb PC2-5300 677 Mhz CL4 Non-Ecc 1.8 v/ unbuffered 240 pin $90
or Patriot Signature DDR@ 1gb PC2-5300 677 Mhz CL5 2 Rank Non-Ecc/ Unbuffered $100

Cases: Raidmax ATX 568 WBP mid-tower case (comes with a mouse and kb) $60

Gfx cards: EVGA GeForce 7300GT 512 mb PCI-E 16x pin (128 DDR2 mem) $130
or
EVGA GeForce 7300GS 256 mb PCI-E 16x pin (64 DDR2 mem) $80
or
eD Fuzion Geforce FX 5500 PCI (256 DDR mem) #80
(or i might get combos of them)

the subtotal is
Mobo: $100
Power Supply: $60
Ram: $90 or $100
Case: $60
Gfx Cards: $130 or $80 or $100
so with my picks origanly it is $450 with the mobo, power supply the Patriot Ram, case and the 7300GT 512 mb card

If you would like to comment on any of the pieces of hardware or suggest i pick a different combo plz plz plz tell me.
Thanks,
Andrew
March 29, 2007 11:10:31 PM

512mb in a 7300GT is worthless. Take the 256mb GS.
March 30, 2007 12:07:52 AM

huh! 130 bones for a 7300gt???????? you shouldn't even break the 90 bones barrier for a pcie card. if your willing to spend 130 on a card then get this one if you live here in the US:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

much better perfomance at this price. as for the psu try and go with either enermax or seasonic. they have very good reps. for instance:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

a little more on the price, but these will do you right! :D 
March 30, 2007 4:00:30 AM

alright i checked out that card and the specs, and im definatly switching it with the one i have picked :D  :D 
Also the power supply, the seasonic looks real good for its price, but i dont know if it will work with my mobo unless u checked that out. But if it does, definate switch there too.
Thanks,
Andrew
March 30, 2007 6:37:56 PM

wow! can't seem to find that mobo anywhere! even went to the abit wed site and no luck. you sure that is the model number for that board? but then again it's no big deal. when it comes to the psu and the mobo ya just need to know what the power connector pin is. it's either 20pin or 24pin. almost all boards to date are 24pin. the seasonic psu is a 20+4 pin option to cover both bases so either way you're good to go!
March 30, 2007 7:36:23 PM

Quote:

Leave. Now.

I hope your PSU explodes and fries every last bit of your PC. Maybe then you can follow your own advice.
March 30, 2007 8:18:02 PM

I hate to ask, but is this some sort of joke? You're way too confused to be building your own machine right now. I say your best bet would be get a barebone and start upgrading.
!