Sign in with
Your question

Ati's new demo (its ruby again)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 19, 2007 10:08:27 PM

The demo is called whiteout and uses a R600 card...or atleast thats what we have been told. Looks pretty good, though u can tell the framerate was a bit low at points. Still i like the demo...i think its better than the ones nvidia has recently released any way :lol: 

here ya go, enjoy: http://www.hexus.tv/show.php?show=66

More about : ati demo ruby

March 19, 2007 10:24:17 PM

The explosions look a little crap and the lip synching is non-existent basically. Still the main world and the plane looked really good.
March 19, 2007 10:31:17 PM

Nice find Mr. Blade. Thanks.
Related resources
March 19, 2007 10:34:42 PM

yes, thank you very much for that find. it was okay... i'd rather have a r600 instead, though. :lol: 
March 19, 2007 10:51:54 PM

sorry to put a bit of a downer on this but,

from a distance(the shots when she was in air) she looked like a plastic doll
light reflections where hexagons not circles(eveident on missile tower)
metal was too shiny looked like aluminumum more than real metal.

the mountains where the best looking part.

sit and watch a FFX FMV they look better than that and thats on a PS3... im not impressed, then again i wasnt impressed by oblivion either the bumpmapping and bad textures on distant hills destroyed that game.

im holding out for 8900GTX and the ati's card after the R600.

also i liked the core2duo sign at the begining considering amd own ati now :lol: 

EDIT

u can tell im tired when i make silly mistakes like that.
March 19, 2007 11:12:45 PM

you mean an 8900gtx flakes?
March 19, 2007 11:27:11 PM

yeah sorry, edited post :D 
March 19, 2007 11:27:40 PM

I would think he did...

the mountains looked good, metal looked like crap,
but the lips and the corner of the face looked ok as well as mountains.

card is definately better than the crappy little video rendering they had it do
March 19, 2007 11:29:53 PM

Quote:

card is definately better than the crappy little video rendering they had it do

i would hope so, if the card can only push a demo like that im worried.
March 19, 2007 11:40:23 PM

Kinda early to judge. I'd have to see a higher resolution vid till I can make my opinion on the matter. Although some parts did look a bit bleh...I won't jump the gun on the lagginess of the video either till I can see some real benchmarks on the sucker....Overall I think it would look better on a system then that vid....But it is a public demonstration so I doub't they'd skip out with cruddy hardware...Bah...mixed feelings. I'll have to wait for more devolpment in it's capabilities..>_<
March 19, 2007 11:42:04 PM

I guess I am missing something,

I did not think it was all that much!!

As said I hope it can do better than this...
March 20, 2007 12:14:59 AM

Must have been the processor slowing it down. :p 
March 20, 2007 2:13:40 AM

Or unoptimized software (either the demo itself or the drivers).
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2007 2:58:42 AM

pretty good demo.

ruby,s booby,s are ridin a little low tough :lol: 
March 20, 2007 3:47:49 AM

Quote:
ruby,s booby,s are ridin a little low tough :lol: 
like granma's??? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
March 20, 2007 3:54:05 AM

LUNA vs Ruby --WWE match :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  now that would be fun :D 
March 20, 2007 8:35:57 AM

Quote:
LUNA vs Ruby --WWE match :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  now that would be fun :D 

LOL...is there a luna demo for the 8800 though???

I know there is one for the 7000 series. They should release one for the 8000's.

for 8800 its Adrianne right?? its too plain though....just walking around... It needs more action!! :lol: 

VS
March 20, 2007 9:45:22 AM

Just looking at these two pictures and nothing else - the one on the left looks like a cartoon character and the one on the right looks more real. Is this due to the capabilities of the cards the animations were rendered on or the skill of the animators?

Q
March 20, 2007 10:18:18 AM

They should replace Ruby with Ruby Rod.

"Pop it D man!"
March 20, 2007 10:48:11 AM

Quote:
Just looking at these two pictures and nothing else - the one on the left looks like a cartoon character and the one on the right looks more real. Is this due to the capabilities of the cards the animations were rendered on or the skill of the animators?

Q

it's a shader program's job to do realistic rendering.So it could either be the card can't execute highly sophisticated shaders (software that runs on the graphics card) or that the shader isn't that realistic.
March 20, 2007 11:00:25 AM

looks extremely nice
March 20, 2007 11:31:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:

VS

That is avery unfair comparison for graphics because that Ruby is dated from the X1800 days!

I prefer the ATi demos, they also have screen savers, nvidia just make boring linear demos.
March 20, 2007 12:16:31 PM

Quote:

Q

it's a shader program's job to do realistic rendering.So it could either be the card can't execute highly sophisticated shaders (software that runs on the graphics card) or that the shader isn't that realistic.

So just to clarify,

Either the card can't do it or the programmer/animator hasn't got thier shader right.

My question was intended as rhetorical but it still remains to be seen (excuse the pun) as to which is the weak link - card or animator.

Q
March 20, 2007 12:17:14 PM

Quote:

"Pop it D man!"

ROFLMAO! That would be friggin hillarious!
March 20, 2007 12:26:42 PM

Quote:

Q

Probably both, but also the picture on the left (Ruby) is older than the one on the right, hence the quality improvement.
March 20, 2007 12:38:50 PM

The demo wasn't all that impressive, not that I'm generally impressed by either Nvidia or ATI's tech demos.
March 20, 2007 2:53:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:

VS

That is avery unfair comparison for graphics because that Ruby is dated from the X1800 days!

I prefer the ATi demos, they also have screen savers, nvidia just make boring linear demos.

i wasnt compairing them :p 

it was a reply to an earlier post that said they should have a fight together so i just stuck those pics up.

you like this one better then?

March 20, 2007 2:56:02 PM

Quote:

"Pop it D man!"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
March 20, 2007 3:42:42 PM

Quote:

"Pop it D man!"

Correction: That's Ruby Rhod.

Click Here for Ruby Rhod. Crank up the volume.
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2007 4:12:26 PM

Quote:
The demo wasn't all that impressive, not that I'm generally impressed by either Nvidia or ATI's tech demos.

While I agree the visuals weren't that spectacular, but the idea of what's going on underneath is pretty good. Especially the idea that the exploding ice/snow were using VPU physics which is what is being said.

I'm sure the details will be more impressive than the actual demo. Like the Cascades demo, it's not the demo itself that's impressive, but what it represents and does behind the scenes.
March 20, 2007 6:05:47 PM

Quote:

"Pop it D man!"

Correction: That's Ruby Rhod.

Click Here for Ruby Rhod. Crank up the volume.

LOLOLOL! :lol:  :lol: 
March 20, 2007 9:31:04 PM

Too bad it's just a screen shot, but looks nice. :) 
March 20, 2007 10:25:39 PM

As with any demo recorded with a cell phone or what ever it was, it's gonna look like crap. Now to watch the demo in person, that would be a different story.
March 21, 2007 2:29:55 AM

Quote:

Q
I'd say they both look like cartoons. But the nose on nVidia's looks ridiculous.
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2007 2:59:35 AM

Quote:

"Pop it D man!"

:lol:  excellent movie 8)
March 21, 2007 6:16:05 AM

Hmmm......I can't wait to find out more about this R600 and it's capabilities. I hope it would be worth the delay.
March 21, 2007 6:53:26 AM

Congratulations on 4000 8O 8O 8O posts .

Yeah it would be nice to know what the r600 is all about in gaming .

Just saw your rig Awesome 8)

Nice paint job , 4ghz 8O
March 21, 2007 7:26:08 AM

i get a problem loading the page :( 
March 21, 2007 9:48:41 AM

What page? From what site?
!