upgrading to windows 2000 help

I am trying to upgrade my computer from windows 98 to
windows 2000. I have 2 hard drives, one with 2 GB that is
practically full (around 50 MB available space) and
antother that has about 8.5 GB full. Windows 98 is
installed on the full drive. When i try to upgrade I am
told that i do not have enough disk space. I am assuming
that since windows 98 is installed on the full drive then
that is the drive I would have to install the new version
to as well. Is there any way around this so that I might
be able to install windows 2000 to the D drive and forego
having the erase files on my D drive? Is there a safe way
to move files from my full drive to my empty drive that
will not cause pathing and "file not found" errors. What
can I do? Any help would be appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrading windows 2000 help
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    UPDATE:
    It occurs to me that I may not have 2 different hard
    drives, as this is a laptop. It may be one hard drive
    partitioned into a C and D drive, of which the C is the
    full 2 GB drive and the D is the empty 9 GB. How can I
    verify that this is on partitioned drive or 2 seperate
    drives? Does it matter? Thanks

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Get a Zip disk.. back your information you wnat to keep
    up.. and re-format the single drive to one large partiton.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    you can choose which partition to install to during the text based setup of
    win2000 and put it on the partition that is your D drive without reformatting
    the drive. however, you wont be able to upgrade that way

    you could instead empty the D drive partion and use partion magic to combine
    the two partitions making it into a single drive and then do the upgrade
    without loosing your windows 98

    this all assumes that it is indeed a single drive. you can verify that by
    running fdisk and see if there in one or two dirves. if there are two there
    would be and option 5 in the first menu that allows you to choose which drive
    to work on

    if you actually had two drives you could put a system on drive d and copy
    all the files (this is tricky because of hidden files) to that drive then
    remove the c drive and, assuming you now boot from what was the d drive as the
    c drive, you could then upgrade, having lots of space.

    now that i think of it, you could copy the "windows" and "program files"
    folders" to the d drive and it would probable upgrade that without all the
    trouble of my other suggestions. i would try this first. it may not work
    because the registry entries are all C: but the setup program might fix those

    In article <2380b01c45eb1$4e6cec00$a301280a@phx.gbl>,
    >UPDATE:
    >It occurs to me that I may not have 2 different hard
    >drives, as this is a laptop. It may be one hard drive
    >partitioned into a C and D drive, of which the C is the
    >full 2 GB drive and the D is the empty 9 GB. How can I
    >verify that this is on partitioned drive or 2 seperate
    >drives? Does it matter? Thanks

Windows 98 Windows 2000 Windows