Sign in with
Your question

Memory: What should I get?

Last response: in Memory
March 20, 2007 3:39:04 AM

I am trying to get some more memory for my system, but I don't know much about what I should get. I have figured out that my motherboard can handle Dual channel, DDR-400 SDRAM with 8 memory banks and at 2.5v, but that's about all. I want to have 2 gigs of memory, but what can I do to optimize everything?

1. What are some top brands in memory? I've thought about Corsair, or the Kingston HyperX, but have no idea which brands are considerred 'good'.

2. Should I go 4x512, or 2x1024? I heard that arrangement has some infleunce on how they run in dual channel mode.

3. What can I do to boost timings as much as possible?

4. Is there a way to slightly increase the voltage from the motherboard, so it can handle 2.6v or 2.7v memory?

The system will be used mostly for moderate to heavy gaming.
Thanks for any help!

More about : memory

March 20, 2007 4:57:30 AM

Quote:
it depends on what system you are using

I have an MSI MS-7093 motherboard with an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor. I don't know much more about the motherboard. I also have an ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256mb video card.

Thanks for the link, Joe. That deal is pretty attractive...But will that 2.7v memory work well with a motherboard that specifies 2.5v memory?

If this helps more, I guess I am willing to spend around $200 on the memory.
Related resources
March 20, 2007 5:18:28 AM

Quote:
What are some top brands in memory?

Ask 10 people and your bound to get 10 answers. Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, Geil, OCZ, and my personal favorite Mushkin are all good brands. If your running at stock speeds your best bet would be to go to a manufacturer's site like this Crucial and scan your system to find the best fit.

Quote:
Should I go 4x512, or 2x1024?

I would go with 2x1024 because then you will still be able to add more later if desired.

Quote:
What can I do to boost timings as much as possible?

Quote:
Is there a way to slightly increase the voltage from the motherboard, so it can handle 2.6v or 2.7v memory?

Check your BIOS and see what options it gives you.

Quote:
I don't know much more about the motherboard.

Your Motherboard
March 20, 2007 7:09:38 PM

Yes, you will have to press del during boot, go into BIOS and change to 2.7v. On another note. It might be a good time to upgrade your motherboard and CPU and buy DDR2 Ram. Just something to think about. You will want to stick with 2ea Rimms of memory and if you can find a deal get CAS=2 if going DDR. If you plan on overclocking get PC4000 memory. Might cost a little more.

Good Luck
!