Will pc3200 ram prices go down or up?

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
I want to add 2gb more of RAM to my s939 x2 system, which takes pc 3200. I'd get the same matching ram (ocz platinum, another 2x1gb sticks of pc 3200) for a total of 4gb (I do video editing, etc.) Right now it is $175 after a $25 mail in rebate for 2gb (from Newegg).

I've been keeping an eye on this RAM and that is the lowest I have seen it ever I believe. However, I know the RAM industry is all over the place with prices...

Should I snag this RAM up now (I don't really need it until I install Vista later this summer), or should I wait and purchase in the summer?

I am wondering if anyone knows based on news or whatever if RAM prices for pc3200 are likely to stay about the same as they are right now, increase in the coming months (is this RAM still being produced, or is the only RAM stocked what is still left over?), or if prices will continue to fall?

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Prices are droped to clear stock at hand and now is a good time to buy/upgrade befor stock gets so low price start to rise due to lack of new production. Just look at the price of PC2100 after only a few years of most demand for it ending...the price is high only becuase of lack of production.

CPU's that upgrade older systems follow the same trend.

Now would be a good time to upgrade RAM,CPU's and even MB's with the fastest you can still get for your platform or even build a new unit along the same path for a fraction of the cost 3-4 years ago (or even ONE year ago)....while you can.
Such systems will still be running strong and give good service for many more years.

Mondoman

Splendid
... for a total of 4gb...
Should I snag this RAM up now (I don't really need it until I install Vista later this summer), or should I wait and purchase in the summer?...
First, remember that you will need a 64-bit OS (e.g. 64-bit Vista, not 32-bit Vista) to be able to access more than about 3GB of your RAM.
Second, no one can predict the future. Supply may drop, but so will demand.