Will Intel's price cuts drive up motherboard prices?

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Just wondering if I should perhaps buy my motherboard soon if it's going to go up in price?

I'm fairly certain the price cuts will drive up the price of DDR2 so I'm gonna be buying that first but I'm wondering if anyone can speculate on this?

Thanks, Valt.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
I hope you're right. I've noticed that the motherboard I've been looking (the P5N32-E SLI Plus) at has been declining slowly on newegg, but I assume that it's not because of any huge economical change, that it's simply an enthusiasts board faling in price a little.

Hopefully price doesn't go up as the demand for Intel supporting motherboards (as a result of the price drop) goes up.

I'm keepin' my fingers crossed. :x

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I'm crossing mine as well as I've got at least 3 rigs I have to build next month for friends and family...

Next month? Bad timing. Tell 'em to hold on until autumn! They'd be able to get whatever CPUs they're buying now at half or even third price! :D

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
They are damn difficult to convince/work with. It took me some time to convince them that AMD is not the leader anymore, EVEN IN GAMES. I had to show them benches from 3 different sites just to convince them...

In that time they already had to delay there rig. Now to tell them again will be the end of me but I'll do it nonetheless.

I hereby, with all the THG guys as my witnesses leave all my belongings to my gf, except for the car, that goes to my good friend Jaco...

Dade_0182

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
They are damn difficult to convince/work with. It took me some time to convince them that AMD is not the leader anymore, EVEN IN GAMES. I had to show them benches from 3 different sites just to convince them...

In that time they already had to delay there rig. Now to tell them again will be the end of me but I'll do it nonetheless.

I hereby, with all the THG guys as my witnesses leave all my belongings to my gf, except for the car, that goes to my good friend Jaco...

Dade_0182

Jaco gets the V12 hotrod? You promised it to me!!!! :lol:

Oh well, tell your friends that he who precipitates looks like a tortoise a few months down the road!

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Jaco gave me the rims and basically helped me build the whole thing. Taught me everything I know about cars. I owe him alot.

Here was my car after the first 2 months...

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet ride! Be careful that it doesn't end up in some Cape Town chop shop! :lol:

Anyway, to keep the Mods happy... back on track!

I don't see how there would be a direct relationship between CPU price drops and Motherboard price hikes. Unless the new raft of chipsets coming from all corners ends up spiking in prices, I think motherboard manufacturers will be happy enough to maintain their current margins.

Has ANYONE heard of a dual socket 775 board for the upcoming Penryn? I'd give up sex for a week for one!!!! :twisted:

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet ride! Be careful that it doesn't end up in some Cape Town chop shop! :lol:

Anyway, to keep the Mods happy... back on track!

I don't see how there would be a direct relationship between CPU price drops and Motherboard price hikes. Unless the new raft of chipsets coming from all corners ends up spiking in prices, I think motherboard manufacturers will be happy enough to maintain their current margins.

Has ANYONE heard of a dual socket 775 board for the upcoming Penryn? I'd give up sex for a week for one!!!! :twisted:
Mobos really aint my problem as the people I'm buying for know nothing about ocing so I'll just go budget and do a mild oc when I install the rigs for them.

You do know that giving up sex for a week includes your hand, right?

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Mobos really aint my problem as the people I'm buying for know nothing about ocing so I'll just go budget and do a mild oc when I install the rigs for them.

Damn! You're right! Now where did I put that vacuum pump? :twisted:

Hmm... how do I segue back into boards now... let's see...

Ok...

Any idea on what the Bearlake chipset will be going for? Is it gonna be much more expensive than 965/975 etc.?

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Nice recovery. Whatever they'll go for, add at least 75% to that and you get SA prices.

Damn it's difficult keeping up with this $h!tty work internet talking on 3 very active threads at once.

Why'd you have to spoil heroes for me.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Sorry about the Heroes spoilage. Couldn't help it.

Stealing this from the Heroes board:

My theory is relatively simple and I'm surprised that it wasn't thought of earlier.

We can track the very beginnings of the first Heroes mutations to the 1970s. Therefore it is obvious that the premiere of Star Wars created the dichomatic schism in The Force to serve as a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is clear that our Heroes are the precursors of the Jedi Knights and Sylar and his evil ilk are the ancestors of the Sith! Future Hiro's sword was not unsheathed or it would be seen to be a lightsabre!

Oh, sorry... forgot that Star Wars is Fox...

Ok, how about this?

Mr. Linderman is obviously Dr. Soran who actually did get caught up in the Nexus and has come back in time to destroy Earth by standing atop Mt. Everest to catch the next Nexus Wave. Starfleet is aware of this plot thus has sent the USS Excelsior back in time and planted its Captain as the head of a "Henry Starling"-type of corporation to make sure that Dr. Soran/Linderman is not able to change the timeline. Matt Parkman is also a Starfleet plant, however he is an officer on a 29th Century Timeship which explains how his next assignment will see him assist the young Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock on his buddy J.J. Abrams' movie!

Oh... Star Trek is Paramount... let's try again... laugh.gif

If we HAVE to stick with NBC, I'm gonna need some more time to figure out how ALF can drive up in KITT and fit into the plot...

It is absolutely unbelievable the price differentials you find from country to country. What really is the difference between shipping a chip from Singapore to New York or Singapore to Pretoria? How can it possibly cost that much more? It's just nothing other than sheer profiteering if you ask me!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Damn! You're right! Now where did I put that vacuum pump? :twisted:

Hmm... how do I segue back into boards now... let's see...

Ok...

Any idea on what the Bearlake chipset will be going for? Is it gonna be much more expensive than 965/975 etc.?I see you found it, and someone got a pic if the ensuing mayhem.. :lol: :lol: :D :D

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
haha, yeah, you can't leave alf out. He's just too funny to forget.

on the price thing, it totally sucks as SA is even closer to Singapore than the US so I really don't understan how they can charge us such outrageous prices.

Can't do a thing about it so I just go where the prices are lower. Goin to europe first and then would like to go stay in the states...

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I see you found it, and someone got a pic if the ensuing mayhem.. :lol: :lol: :D :D

Damn! They said that the security cameras in that ER were for internal surveillance only! I gotta get an HMO and stop going to County!!! 8)

Now, to keep from sliding down the banister...

How can anyone read this article and not either break out laughing or crying (depending on your fanboy affiliation):

"The environment is very competitive, very competitive," Ruiz said earlier. "We need to break the monopoly, and for that we've got to get above 30% [market share]."

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
haha, yeah, you can't leave alf out. He's just too funny to forget.

on the price thing, it totally sucks as SA is even closer to Singapore than the US so I really don't understan how they can charge us such outrageous prices.

Can't do a thing about it so I just go where the prices are lower. Goin to europe first and then would like to go stay in the states...

ALF driving KITT now that is definitely something I'd tune into watch!

The price differential for hw is often "justified" by the much larger market in the USA than in smaller countries. However, that is a crock. Even a decent SA online retailer worth his salt can move 1000 CPUs so what the hell is the diff between him and his USA counterpart? Nothing, except that they wanna make a whole lot more money on each sale.

You'll find that Europe has similar hw pricing to the USA if and only if you use your EU Non-Citizen VAT exemption when you leave. If you have to pay the VAT, then you'll get smacked for about 20% and that's a real crime.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Damn, and I already hated our 14% vat...

Hey, if you think it's bad, consider what Canucks like 1Tanker have to pay when they buy a new house! They have to pay 6% GST on the whole price! At least EU/SA VAT doesn't cover houses!!!!

It's bad enough that it inflates the price of everything from chips to shoes. I remember reading a while back a tongue in cheek analysis of a European's income. Between the income taxes, fuel taxes, VAT, etc. it was calculated that a European can work all year for ZERO.

I think that the only way that Europe still functions is because of tax cheating! So, can you possibly blame them? I'd sure hate to buy a chip and just give away 20% to some fatass bureaucrat in Brussels!

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Picking apart my thread I see...

Oh well, the conversation is more interesting than what it would have been so I dont care.

I'm glad I live in Oregon and we don't have sales tax, but our income tax is hella high. They take 30%! :eek:

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
The replacement Intel performance board for Bad Axe 2 has the code name Bone Trail. There is also gonna be a even higher end board that will finally have support for something that everyone has been asking for.

Bad Axe 2 Replacement around $270 is my guess. Only problem is you will need to wait for that one until around September time frame if memory serves me right.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
The replacement Intel performance board for Bad Axe 2 has the code name Bone Trail. There is also gonna be a even higher end board that will finally have support for something that everyone has been asking for.

Bad Axe 2 Replacement around $270 is my guess. Only problem is you will need to wait for that one until around September time frame if memory serves me right.
Hmmmm....sounds like SLI....maybe :wink:

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Jaco gave me the rims and basically helped me build the whole thing. Taught me everything I know about cars. I owe him alot.

Here was my car after the first 2 months...
I SWEAR I saw that car yesterday. Were you in Kolonnade at about 4 yesterday? 8O

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I was, had to buy my dad a birthday gift before going off to joburg. My gf lives 2 blocks away in bougainvillea estates. We are looking after her place coz her parents are in durban...

TRENDING THREADS