minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Good night friends.

For a while now I have been considering the chance to build a new rig, for gaming purposes.. lets say this will be a "gaming rig".
Though I recently assembled one, this one has to be able to hold for lets say, at least one year running all 2007 games full settings (maybe lets leave antialiasing and such aside), and perhaps 2008's on mid (since probably DX10 games will be another story, right?).

Anyway, my budget is a bit tight for the moment... so I was thinking if you guys could help me out, telling me if these specs are to hold for a while or if they will be good for solitaire 2000 :roll: :wink:

*AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ 2.0 GHz Processor with 89-Watt Power or AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5200+ 2.6 GHz Processor with 65-Watt Power (Im not sure as the second one is about 150 bucks more expensive.. but if that's the way to go Id like it :) )
* Geforce 8600 (ultra?) /whatever, the one that comes out in a "few" weeks... (or should I totally buy a 8800?)
* 1 GB RAM for now, and then +1 GB in the upcoming months after the buy (totalling 2 GB doh! :lol:). To be sincere Im a n00b... I dont know which one is better.. I guess Id buy the cheapest I can get in amazon... would that be enough or...? (Well of course DDR2 ;))
* Asus or MSI MoBo. So far all I got is something with the AM2 socket, pci-e 16x(?), DDR2 (as if there was just DDR :p). Is there anything I need to have in mind regarding both processors mentioned above or...? I dont wanna end up with something that wouldnt work for them :oops:

As for the other things they are miscellaneous. I dont know about cooling systems and such... so I guess Ill just buy a "big" case and probably put as many fans as possible :lol:

So, thats like point #1 in your quest to help this hardware n00b out... point #2 is basically, as stated in the first lines of this 3 page post... is a system like that good for lets say, Unreal Engine 3-based games like the upcoming UT 2007 (if that is for PC!) and such... or this new baby will only hold for a couple of months?

Lets say the deal is, Ive always wanted to play "good" games... unfortunately all my previous systems pretty much sucked... so I want something that I can play games at full setting for once in my life :cry:
I see the graphic card charts in the main site, and Im not sure what 150 FPS means (I mean, arent games supposed to run @60?), is it like, with that setup you are running games at "crazy" speed (i.e not normal) or...?

Well, a lot of questions but Im sure some of you will be able to help... I help people all the time, just that programming is my area, hardware isnt :wink:

Thanks a lot for your time friends :)

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
start here
Motherboard
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI
This CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz
and 2 gb of RAM
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Video card, depends on how long you want to wait. Even when the new ones come out, will the drivers be there to support the needs of the hardcore gamers?
BIG case? Depends on how many drives you are going to run. I like a mid-tower but I have used many sizes for different purposes.
Get a good PSU, the best ones will last many builds and power almost anything.

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Thanks guys :)

Video card, depends on how long you want to wait. Even when the new ones come out, will the drivers be there to support the needs of the hardcore gamers?
Sorry didnt understand this... Are you saying that for instance the 8800 wont be able to lets say, run UT 2007 in full settings or....?
So I cant be sure what to buy.. this is sort of a boomer :(

BIG case? Depends on how many drives you are going to run. I like a mid-tower but I have used many sizes for different purposes.
Get a good PSU, the best ones will last many builds and power almost anything.
Yes well, Im gonna out two DVD-RWs and two HDs...
But OK, Ill take in mind your recommendation on a good PSU (any special suggestions here regarding watts Ill require etc...?)

And F1nal_0men, seems interesting :)

Thanks again for the help :)