Hello all....need MAJOR help. 2 computers with the same problem. Laptop as
well as PC. I installed a DVD copy program. The dvd drives are now missing.
I uninstalled and reinstalled, tried system recovery, updated driver (tells
me I already have the best driver) but it still tells me there is a problem
with the drive (CODE 41) I have physically removed the drive and
reinstalled. No drive icon/letter shows in MyComputer or Explorer. I used a
network to try to reinstall drivers but still tells me have the best driver
installed. Im at my wits end thinking I have to reformat and start over. ANy
suggestions? Most of the posts Ive found arent helpful to my problem. Thanks
in advance.

Sorry if you've already tried the following but not knowing what you've
tried I post the following possible Knowledge Base link for help with the
issue you describe:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"DRLJC" <DRLJC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all....need MAJOR help. 2 computers with the same problem. Laptop as
> well as PC. I installed a DVD copy program. The dvd drives are now
> missing.
> I uninstalled and reinstalled, tried system recovery, updated driver
> (tells
> me I already have the best driver) but it still tells me there is a
> problem
> with the drive (CODE 41) I have physically removed the drive and
> reinstalled. No drive icon/letter shows in MyComputer or Explorer. I used
> network to try to reinstall drivers but still tells me have the best
> driver
> installed. Im at my wits end thinking I have to reformat and start over.
> ANy
> suggestions? Most of the posts Ive found arent helpful to my problem.
> Thanks
> in advance.

This applies to XP also if you have TweakUI...
Missing Drives in My Computer and Windows Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;191579

My CD drives have vanished (from Explorer, Device Manager, etc.)
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems

Restore Missing CD Drive
http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

[[The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device
Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and
Registry references for some code modules aren’t removed successfully. This
patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives. Any third
party package still required will then have to be re-installed. ]]
http://aumha.org/reg3.htm

[[For more information on this and other possible causes, see the “Problems”
section of Alex Nichol’s Burning CDs in Windows XP article.]]
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:6FA3185F-E84B-4DF5-9C85-89F6D3543837@microsoft.com,