Just got my HDTV; DVD looks great with S-VHS; Will compone..

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 25, 2004 6:59:34 AM

I just got my Panasonic TH-42PX25U 4hours ago. It took forever to hook up.
TV and TIVO are ok. I will be getting HDTV signals next week. The DVD
video is great with only a S-VHS signal. I have a progressive scan DVD. I
can't imagine any better signal. Is it really true that component video
connection will make the picute better. I am watching the Alien THX version
as I type. If you think I shoudl switch to componet video for my DVD what
cables should I buy?

dennis
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 8:07:07 AM

"Dennis G. Rears" <drears@runningpagespam.org> wrote in

> I just got my Panasonic TH-42PX25U 4hours ago. It took forever to
> hook up. TV and TIVO are ok. I will be getting HDTV signals next
> week. The DVD video is great with only a S-VHS signal. I have a
> progressive scan DVD. I can't imagine any better signal. Is it
> really true that component video connection will make the picute
> better. I am watching the Alien THX version as I type. If you think
> I shoudl switch to componet video for my DVD what cables should I buy?

Any decent cables should work. And you're not really getting the benefit
of progressive scan unless you do use component connections. The GE
cables are quite reasonable in price and, as far as I'm concerned, as
good as the more expensive ones. At least *I* can't see the difference
on my monitor.

I got mine from a liquidator for $1 on eBay, cost about $13 to ship it
here but that was still less than what they are selling for in the stores
in town.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

September 25, 2004 8:09:15 AM

"Dennis G. Rears" <drears@runningpagespam.org> wrote in

> I just got my Panasonic TH-42PX25U 4hours ago. It took forever to
> hook up. TV and TIVO are ok. I will be getting HDTV signals next
> week. The DVD video is great with only a S-VHS signal. I have a
> progressive scan DVD. I can't imagine any better signal. Is it
> really true that component video connection will make the picute
> better. I am watching the Alien THX version as I type. If you think
> I shoudl switch to componet video for my DVD what cables should I buy?

Oh, and in a pinch, you can try out the connection with a standard AV
cable. It won't quite be up to the bandwidth for extended-definition
DVD's, but you will be able to check the connection and make sure it works
and you will be able to see how it affects things like aliasing artifacts
(which are more noticeable in 480i than in 480p).

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

September 25, 2004 2:58:44 PM

Dennis,
Sounds great!
Please post a followup when you have connected your HD signals, the
TH-42PX25U has great specs.
Thanks,
JAS
"Dennis G. Rears" <drears@runningpagespam.org> wrote in message
> I just got my Panasonic TH-42PX25U 4hours ago. It took forever to hook
up.
> TV and TIVO are ok. I will be getting HDTV signals next week. The DVD
> video is great with only a S-VHS signal. I have a progressive scan DVD.
> can't imagine any better signal. Is it really true that component video
> connection will make the picute better. I am watching the Alien THX
version
> as I type. If you think I shoudl switch to componet video for my DVD
what
> cables should I buy?
>
> dennis

Anonymous
September 26, 2004 1:59:52 PM

Component cables are capable of delivering better quality than
S-video. Regarding the difference you'll notice with your DVD player
and your HDTV- it's really hard to determine.

The to get the benefit of progressive scanning from your DVD player
you need component video out (as stated, s-video is less capable than
component). However, some HDTVs have quality line doublers
(progressive scanning) built in that is auto-applied to all incoming
non-HD analog sources. On my television I switched from s-video to
component for my DVD hookups and did notice a bit more color depth in
the picture quality as a result.

If your still feeling doubts, think about it this way- you just spent
a considerable amount of money for an HD television, why not invest
$10-$20 more in component cables (unless shielding is super important,
the brand of the cables does not matter!) to make the picture quality
of your DVD movies the best that they can be. Should be a no-brainer!

"Dennis G. Rears" <drears@runningpagespam.org> wrote in message news:<qa55d.7856$6X1.10992133@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> I just got my Panasonic TH-42PX25U 4hours ago. It took forever to hook up.
> TV and TIVO are ok. I will be getting HDTV signals next week. The DVD
> video is great with only a S-VHS signal. I have a progressive scan DVD. I
> can't imagine any better signal. Is it really true that component video
> connection will make the picute better. I am watching the Alien THX version
> as I type. If you think I shoudl switch to componet video for my DVD what
> cables should I buy?
>
> dennis
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 6:17:42 PM

"JDeats" <jeremy@pdq.net> wrote in message
> Component cables are capable of delivering better quality than
> S-video. Regarding the difference you'll notice with your DVD player
> and your HDTV- it's really hard to determine.
>
> The to get the benefit of progressive scanning from your DVD player
> you need component video out (as stated, s-video is less capable than
> component). However, some HDTVs have quality line doublers
> (progressive scanning) built in that is auto-applied to all incoming
> non-HD analog sources. On my television I switched from s-video to
> component for my DVD hookups and did notice a bit more color depth in
> the picture quality as a result.
>
> If your still feeling doubts, think about it this way- you just spent
> a considerable amount of money for an HD television, why not invest
> $10-$20 more in component cables (unless shielding is super important,
> the brand of the cables does not matter!) to make the picture quality
> of your DVD movies the best that they can be. Should be a no-brainer!

it's not the cables that make the difference, it's the way that color and
luminance are represented as analog

composite, the worst but brilliant in its compatibility with the orginal
black and white American TV standard, presents luminance as an AM signal and
color as a phase modulation subcarrier on top of it. Composite video is
essentially the demodulated baseband payload of broadcast NTSC as such, the
color is incredibly low in depth and resolution... a paint by numbers
overlay
but amazingly, it works.

S-video, which is better, separates the luminance AM signal on one wire and
places the phase modulated color subcarrier on another wire... this gets rid
of the annoying intermodulation effects like dot crawl and improves color
depth/resolution quite a bit... but the basic bandwidth of the S-video is
still set by the limited source signal - which is always ugly composite NTSC
in analog cable/OTA but genuine (but still low resolution) digital in
digital cable and DVD's.

component does away with color encoding modulation entirely and presents
full resolution analog of the three colors that go to make up an image... no
artifacts and every pixel has full color depth

not to mention that component has the bandwidth to carry true HD resolution
images
!