difference between a core duo and core 2 duo

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Laptops
  • Core
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
March 20, 2007 12:09:25 PM

Im looking at purchasing a new laptop "DELL" and I have been reading up on the duo core processors, I have been around computers for quit awhile but what I dont understand is this-whats the difference between a core duo and a core 2 duo processor?

Thanks In Advance

More about : difference core duo core duo

March 20, 2007 1:40:40 PM

So on the core 2 duo platform if its a 1.6 GHz is there actually 2 1.6 GHz on the processor or does both together make up the 1.6 GHz?
Related resources
March 20, 2007 1:43:14 PM

There's two 1.6GHz but that doesn't mean it'll be the equivalent of one 3.2GHz. But there's two on the Core Duo also.

Core 2 Duo is just an improved version of the Core Duo.

And for any Canadians, I just rolled up a rim and won! Wohoo! About time.
March 20, 2007 1:44:27 PM

Quote:
There's two 1.6GHz but that doesn't mean it'll be the equivalent of one 3.2GHz. But there's two on the Core Duo also.

Core 2 Duo is just an improved version of the Core Duo.

And for any Canadians, I just rolled up a rim and won! Wohoo! About time.

What did ya win? A cookie? :p 
March 20, 2007 1:47:05 PM

Nah just a coffee :(  But you can be damn sure I'm getting an extra large, double cupped. I've rolled at least a hundred rims before this and never won, so I wanna make the most of it. :D 
March 20, 2007 1:58:29 PM

Core Duo's are Yonah based chips meant mainly for the mobile sector and as such were only built for Socket M. They are also 64bit incompatible. Core 2 Duo's are based off the Merom, Conroe and Allendale Cores. They are on average 6% faster than their Core Duo predecessors and are all 64bit compatible chips. Their primary socketing is LGA775 but the mobile Merom's are packaged on Socket M. Also, besides the obvious increase in clock speeds, a difference between the Core Duo and the Core 2 Duo is the increase in the amount of L2 cache. The (E6600 and up) Core 2 Duo has double the amount of on-board cache at 4MB. This of course, ain't the case with the true Allendale's and the lower end Conroe's which like the Core Duos have half the cache.
March 20, 2007 2:03:44 PM

Quote:
Isn't that amazing how Timmy's can make customers roll up a hundred coffee cups just to win the hundreth-and-first free? Now that is great marketing. Either that or Timmy's really does put heroin in the coffee.

BTW, to git back on track, why did Intel raise the Pentium monicker from the dead anyway???

Yeah, it's really bad. :(  I actually go to Tim's for coffee instead of the cafeteria at work during roll up the rim season just for the excitement of rolling up a rim.

I suspect they brought back the Pentium name to woo all the folks who were influenced by the old Pentium marketing campaigns and its reputation for high performance (prior to Prescott being humiliated by AMD- but seeing as it's a budget chip, a lot of its customers probably won't even know about that).
March 20, 2007 2:11:10 PM

Quote:
I suspect they brought back the Pentium name to woo all the folks who were influenced by the old Pentium marketing campaigns and its reputation for high performance (prior to Prescott being humiliated by AMD- but seeing as it's a budget chip, a lot of its customers probably won't even know about that).

Dunno why they went to Core 2 anyway. It's a downright dumbass name when you apply it.

A dual core is Core 2 Duo.

Why is a quad core a Core 2 Extreme?

What does the 2 have to do with anything?

Overly confusing and positively idiotic marketing. Couldn't they have their multi-million dollar marketing dept. come up with another name?
March 20, 2007 2:12:16 PM

mostly this machine will be for everyday browsing and mostly video editing but i also dont want it to be obsolete in a month,if I was going to be running XP on it I would know more on what processor to pick,right know Im running a pentium 4 2.0 GHz with 256 meg of that blasted rambus memory Dell was sticking in there machines a few years ago, on the one I built a few years ago its an AMD 1.7 GHz with 512 meg of PC 133 sdram memory,and both machines do the trick,but like I said early on this is a laptop im looking to get and you just dont tear into them like a desk top in a few years to replace the video card or motherboard and processor, Ive read that Vista is a real memory hog and as for the processor Im sure that a duo core would be fine for what im used to but if theres that much of a difference I would go with the core 2 duo, also I was thinking of if i went with the lower end processor I could stick more memory into it,and go a step up on the video card.
March 20, 2007 2:35:16 PM

Quote:

Dunno why they went to Core 2 anyway. It's a downright dumbass name when you apply it.

A dual core is Core 2 Duo.

Why is a quad core a Core 2 Extreme?

What does the 2 have to do with anything?

Overly confusing and positively idiotic marketing. Couldn't they have their multi-million dollar marketing dept. come up with another name?

You'd think so. I'd like something along the lines of Double Badass instead of Core 2 Duo, and Quadruple Badass for quadcores. And included in the Extreme Edition boxes would be replicas of some of Mr. T's bling in the A-Team.

Back to the original topic, you'll see a bit of a performance increase at the same clockspeed going from Core to Core 2, but its not huge. A few percent. So if the Core 2 is a lot more expensive you should just go for the Core, but if C2 is affordable go for it instead.
March 20, 2007 3:38:05 PM

ajfink-- thanks for the link that is probably the best info ive found so far.
Thanks again
!