Cingular Nightmare Before Christmas

Last response: in Network Providers
December 25, 2004 7:18:38 AM

I've been with ATT for ten years and had no complaints. I wanted a new
Motorola MPX220, so I went into a Cingular store figuring it's all one big
happy family now. I paid my $300 plus tax and settled for half the air time
minutes for the same plan price, but I thought...ok, I don't use a lot and
they have roll over anyway. I waited for my expensive new phone to be
enabled on their network...and waited...and waited. I was told the system is
backed up. ok...I waited some more. Somehow the system got around to
disabling my old phone (V600 with ATT), but has not yet enabled the new one.
It is now 16 hours after I purchased the phone and I have no service
whatsoever. If this persists, I intend to take it back for a refund.
Question is...are they going to be able to re-enable my V600?

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply
December 25, 2004 10:41:55 AM

Hang in there kids, I too went through some hellish stuff when I
migrated, I had 3 business lines, though ATTWS only saw one as being a
business line, so out of my 2 which migrated very quickly and
efficiently, the third took 3 days! and I needed it! what sense does it
make for business! lines to take longer than a standard line to
migrate! none to me.

So, in the end, my partner who had that line, went three days with no
customer contact for him.

I'm sure eventually cingular will go to 24x7 support, and now that I
think about it, there was a cingular CSR who told me they did plan on
doing that, but it wouldn't be until after this new year in 2005.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 1:36:14 PM

I just migrated from AT&T to Cingular 2 days ago myself. The salesperson
forgot I was migrating from AT&T even though I mentioned it multiple times,
and processed my sale as a new account. Imagine the nightmare of trying to
fix that, I was in the store for over 3 hours while they tried. Aside from a
30 minute period, my data service hasn't worked since I bought the phone.
Cingular told me yesterday morning there was a known problem that would be
fixed by the end of the day.. but.. it isn't fixed and you can't reach them.
I miss AT&T already.. at least AT&T customer service is open 24X7. Cingular
closes at 9pm.

"Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
> I've been with ATT for ten years and had no complaints. I wanted a new
> Motorola MPX220, so I went into a Cingular store figuring it's all one big
> happy family now. I paid my $300 plus tax and settled for half the air
> time
> minutes for the same plan price, but I thought...ok, I don't use a lot and
> they have roll over anyway. I waited for my expensive new phone to be
> enabled on their network...and waited...and waited. I was told the system
> is
> backed up. ok...I waited some more. Somehow the system got around to
> disabling my old phone (V600 with ATT), but has not yet enabled the new
> one.
> It is now 16 hours after I purchased the phone and I have no service
> whatsoever. If this persists, I intend to take it back for a refund.
> Question is...are they going to be able to re-enable my V600?
>
> --
> Remove NOSPAM to reply

December 25, 2004 2:51:14 PM

"Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
> I've been with ATT for ten years and had no complaints. I wanted a new
> Motorola MPX220, so I went into a Cingular store figuring it's all one big
> happy family now. I paid my $300 plus tax and settled for half the air
> time
> minutes for the same plan price, but I thought...ok, I don't use a lot and
> they have roll over anyway. I waited for my expensive new phone to be
> enabled on their network...and waited...and waited. I was told the system
> is
> backed up. ok...I waited some more. Somehow the system got around to
> disabling my old phone (V600 with ATT), but has not yet enabled the new
> one.
> It is now 16 hours after I purchased the phone and I have no service
> whatsoever. If this persists, I intend to take it back for a refund.
> Question is...are they going to be able to re-enable my V600?
>
> --
> Remove NOSPAM to reply
>
>Wow ! 16 hours, tsk tsk tsk.

TerryS
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 3:20:36 PM

In article <Suczd.3164$Y8.1037@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
"TerryS" <sterrys@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
> > I've been with ATT for ten years and had no complaints. I wanted a new
> > Motorola MPX220, so I went into a Cingular store figuring it's all one big
> > happy family now. I paid my $300 plus tax and settled for half the air
> > time
> > minutes for the same plan price, but I thought...ok, I don't use a lot and
> > they have roll over anyway. I waited for my expensive new phone to be
> > enabled on their network...and waited...and waited. I was told the system
> > is
> > backed up. ok...I waited some more. Somehow the system got around to
> > disabling my old phone (V600 with ATT), but has not yet enabled the new
> > one.
> > It is now 16 hours after I purchased the phone and I have no service
> > whatsoever. If this persists, I intend to take it back for a refund.
> > Question is...are they going to be able to re-enable my V600?
> >
> > --
> > Remove NOSPAM to reply
> >
> >Wow ! 16 hours, tsk tsk tsk.
>
> TerryS

Make sure they credit you for the days with no service. They'll try and
bill from the second you got the MPX220, regardless of whether it was
working or not.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 6:53:29 PM

Remove NOSPAM to reply
"TerryS" <sterrys@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
> > I've been with ATT for ten years and had no complaints. I wanted a new
> > Motorola MPX220, so I went into a Cingular store figuring it's all one
big
> > happy family now. I paid my $300 plus tax and settled for half the air
> > time
> > minutes for the same plan price, but I thought...ok, I don't use a lot
and
> > they have roll over anyway. I waited for my expensive new phone to be
> > enabled on their network...and waited...and waited. I was told the
system
> > is
> > backed up. ok...I waited some more. Somehow the system got around to
> > disabling my old phone (V600 with ATT), but has not yet enabled the new
> > one.
> > It is now 16 hours after I purchased the phone and I have no service
> > whatsoever. If this persists, I intend to take it back for a refund.
> > Question is...are they going to be able to re-enable my V600?
> >
> > --
> > Remove NOSPAM to reply
> >
> >Wow ! 16 hours, tsk tsk tsk.
>
> TerryS

Being in the medical profession, a cell phone is a lifeline in a figurative
and literal sense. Some of us need a phone for more than chit chatting with
our little friends. 16 hours is a Hell of long time if you're a patient and
can't get in touch...as of now, it's been over 24 hours.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 8:17:43 PM

In article <Oukzd.17372$RC5.15392@fe10.lga>,
"Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

> Being in the medical profession, a cell phone is a lifeline in a figurative
> and literal sense. Some of us need a phone for more than chit chatting with
> our little friends. 16 hours is a Hell of long time if you're a patient and
> can't get in touch...as of now, it's been over 24 hours.

My god, what did people in such critical positions do before cellphones
existed?

If you absolutely need to be in touch, you should make sure you have a
telco calling card and/or a roll of quarters with you at all times, in
case you need to use one of those old-fashioned devices known as a
payphone.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH

"Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
> I've been with ATT for ten years and had no complaints. I wanted a new
> Motorola MPX220, so I went into a Cingular store figuring it's all one big
> happy family now. I paid my $300 plus tax and settled for half the air
time
> minutes for the same plan price, but I thought...ok, I don't use a lot and
> they have roll over anyway. I waited for my expensive new phone to be
> enabled on their network...and waited...and waited. I was told the system
is
> backed up. ok...I waited some more. Somehow the system got around to
> disabling my old phone (V600 with ATT), but has not yet enabled the new
one.
> It is now 16 hours after I purchased the phone and I have no service
> whatsoever. If this persists, I intend to take it back for a refund.
> Question is...are they going to be able to re-enable my V600?

You didn't perhaps forget to call the IVR (*862) from YOUR new handset and
activate your new service did you?

You have cycled the phone off/on several times per hour since puchase?

I can pretty much gaurantee you haven't done either.

--
SS
Anonymous

Remove NOSPAM to reply
"Larry Weil" <kc1ih@mac.com> wrote in message
> In article <Oukzd.17372$RC5.15392@fe10.lga>,
> "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:
> >
> > Being in the medical profession, a cell phone is a lifeline in a
figurative
> > and literal sense. Some of us need a phone for more than chit chatting
with
> > our little friends. 16 hours is a Hell of long time if you're a patient
and
> > can't get in touch...as of now, it's been over 24 hours.
>
> My god, what did people in such critical positions do before cellphones
> existed?
>
> If you absolutely need to be in touch, you should make sure you have a
> telco calling card and/or a roll of quarters with you at all times, in
> case you need to use one of those old-fashioned devices known as a
> payphone.
>
> --
> Larry Weil
> Lake Wobegone, NH

I'm very happy for you that your life is so simple.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 10:04:58 PM

> My god, what did people in such critical positions do before cellphones
> existed?
>
> If you absolutely need to be in touch, you should make sure you have a
> telco calling card and/or a roll of quarters with you at all times, in
> case you need to use one of those old-fashioned devices known as a
> payphone.
>
> --
> Larry Weil
> Lake Wobegone, NH

BTW...Larry...kindly explain to me how a sick patient is supposed to reach
me on a pay phone while I'm in transit between hospitals.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 10:27:49 PM

Remove NOSPAM to reply
"Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message

> "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
> > I've been with ATT for ten years and had no complaints. I wanted a new
> > Motorola MPX220, so I went into a Cingular store figuring it's all one
big
> > happy family now. I paid my $300 plus tax and settled for half the air
> time
> > minutes for the same plan price, but I thought...ok, I don't use a lot
and
> > they have roll over anyway. I waited for my expensive new phone to be
> > enabled on their network...and waited...and waited. I was told the
system
> is
> > backed up. ok...I waited some more. Somehow the system got around to
> > disabling my old phone (V600 with ATT), but has not yet enabled the new
> one.
> > It is now 16 hours after I purchased the phone and I have no service
> > whatsoever. If this persists, I intend to take it back for a refund.
> > Question is...are they going to be able to re-enable my V600?
>

> You didn't perhaps forget to call the IVR (*862) from YOUR new handset and
> activate your new service did you?
>
> You have cycled the phone off/on several times per hour since puchase?
>
> I can pretty much gaurantee you haven't done either.

Uh...no you can't guarantee that. Been there, done that and spent 3 hours
(so far) on the phone with after hours tech support.
December 25, 2004 11:37:13 PM

"Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
> I've been with ATT for ten years and had no complaints. I wanted a new
> Motorola MPX220, so I went into a Cingular store figuring it's all one big
> happy family now. I paid my $300 plus tax and settled for half the air
time
> minutes for the same plan price, but I thought...ok, I don't use a lot and
> they have roll over anyway. I waited for my expensive new phone to be
> enabled on their network...and waited...and waited. I was told the system
is
> backed up. ok...I waited some more. Somehow the system got around to
> disabling my old phone (V600 with ATT), but has not yet enabled the new
one.
> It is now 16 hours after I purchased the phone and I have no service
> whatsoever. If this persists, I intend to take it back for a refund.
> Question is...are they going to be able to re-enable my V600?
>
> --
> Remove NOSPAM to reply

Why didn't you just buy the phone on ebay or extend your old contract so you
could get the phone cheaply still and not get screwed on the new plan for
minutes?
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 11:54:44 PM

In article <1103988972.8b1b8becc06c1036718444f2549b7d89@teranews>,
"Keith Elkin" <None@none.com> wrote:

> I just migrated from AT&T to Cingular 2 days ago myself. The salesperson
> forgot I was migrating from AT&T even though I mentioned it multiple times,
> and processed my sale as a new account. Imagine the nightmare of trying to
> fix that, I was in the store for over 3 hours while they tried. Aside from a
> 30 minute period, my data service hasn't worked since I bought the phone.
> Cingular told me yesterday morning there was a known problem that would be
> fixed by the end of the day.. but.. it isn't fixed and you can't reach them.
> I miss AT&T already.. at least AT&T customer service is open 24X7. Cingular
> closes at 9pm.

Worse than that. It closes at 9 PM in the time zone you are calling
from, rather than the time zone your records are kept it, so if you sign
up in the midwest but call from the east cost, you lose an hour.
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 3:16:24 AM

In article <1104016204.377672.209940@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
bryan_adrian@yahoo.com wrote:

> I feel deeply for all the overworked physicians who are stuck with a
> bum product and they and their patients must suffer for such petty
> reasons as Cingular bad business policies.

I think this gentleman has a basic misunderstanding of how the plan he
bought works.
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 3:16:25 AM

Remove NOSPAM to reply
> In article <1104016204.377672.209940@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> bryan_adrian@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > I feel deeply for all the overworked physicians who are stuck with a
> > bum product and they and their patients must suffer for such petty
> > reasons as Cingular bad business policies.
>
> I think this gentleman has a basic misunderstanding of how the plan he
> bought works.

So far, the plan I purchased amounts to a plastic paperweight that sits on
the desk and does nothing.
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 3:32:28 AM

In <kinzd.17376$MT6.4269@fe10.lga> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 19:04:58 -0500, "Ric
Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

>> My god, what did people in such critical positions do before cellphones
>> existed?
>>
>> If you absolutely need to be in touch, you should make sure you have a
>> telco calling card and/or a roll of quarters with you at all times, in
>> case you need to use one of those old-fashioned devices known as a
>> payphone.

>BTW...Larry...kindly explain to me how a sick patient is supposed to reach
>me on a pay phone while I'm in transit between hospitals.

How are they supposed to reach you if you're in a coverage hole, or your phone
is switched off, or the phone battery is dead, or your drop the phone and
break it, or you forget your phone, etc?

If constant communication is indeed mission critical to you, then I
respectfully suggest that you need to go beyond a single cellular phone,
because cellular isn't that reliable; e.g., carry a backup pager.

December 26, 2004 3:32:29 AM

> How are they supposed to reach you if you're in a coverage hole, or your
phone
> is switched off, or the phone battery is dead, or your drop the phone and
> break it, or you forget your phone, etc?
>
> If constant communication is indeed mission critical to you, then I
> respectfully suggest that you need to go beyond a single cellular phone,
> because cellular isn't that reliable; e.g., carry a backup pager.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

Point is...in ten plus years with ATT including eight or nine equipment
upgrades...it has never before been an issue. I have had seamless
transitions between new phones and never had one interruption in service.
And for this, Cingular wants to add a new service fee to my bill?
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 3:49:06 AM

In <wPnzd.17425$xm7.9434@fe10.lga> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 19:40:22 -0500, "Ric
Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

>> If constant communication is indeed mission critical to you, then I
>> respectfully suggest that you need to go beyond a single cellular phone,
>> because cellular isn't that reliable; e.g., carry a backup pager.

>Point is...in ten plus years with ATT including eight or nine equipment
>upgrades...it has never before been an issue. I have had seamless
>transitions between new phones and never had one interruption in service.

But you nonetheless can't count on that.

>And for this, Cingular wants to add a new service fee to my bill?

For the new service there is a fee, which has nothing to do with the
difficulties you experienced.

December 26, 2004 3:49:07 AM

Remove NOSPAM to reply

> In <wPnzd.17425$xm7.9434@fe10.lga> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 19:40:22 -0500,
"Ric
> Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:
>
> >> If constant communication is indeed mission critical to you, then I
> >> respectfully suggest that you need to go beyond a single cellular
phone,
> >> because cellular isn't that reliable; e.g., carry a backup pager.
>
> >Point is...in ten plus years with ATT including eight or nine equipment
> >upgrades...it has never before been an issue. I have had seamless
> >transitions between new phones and never had one interruption in service.
>
> But you nonetheless can't count on that.
>
> >And for this, Cingular wants to add a new service fee to my bill?
>
> For the new service there is a fee, which has nothing to do with the
> difficulties you experienced.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

MR. Navas...There is no service. I have been inconvenienced well beyond the
dollar amount of that fee.
December 26, 2004 3:49:07 AM

John Navas wrote:

> In <wPnzd.17425$xm7.9434@fe10.lga> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 19:40:22 -0500, "Ric
> Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:
>

>>>If constant communication is indeed mission critical to you, then I
>>>respectfully suggest that you need to go beyond a single cellular phone,
>>>because cellular isn't that reliable; e.g., carry a backup pager.
>

>>Point is...in ten plus years with ATT including eight or nine equipment
>>upgrades...it has never before been an issue. I have had seamless
>>transitions between new phones and never had one interruption in service.
>

> But you nonetheless can't count on that.
>

>>And for this, Cingular wants to add a new service fee to my bill?
>

> For the new service there is a fee, which has nothing to do with the
> difficulties you experienced.

Doesn't Cingular assess an extra fee for newbies that bring a false
sense of cell phone security with them? I heard this is intended to
help shake them out of that cell phone VIP dream they're stuck inside of.

My doctor carries two cell phones, each from a different carrier, and a
pager reserved for his on-call service.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

In <l0ozd.17547$E77.2013@fe10.lga> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 19:54:03 -0500, "Ric
Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

>> In <wPnzd.17425$xm7.9434@fe10.lga> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 19:40:22 -0500, "Ric
>> Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

>> >And for this, Cingular wants to add a new service fee to my bill?
>>
>> For the new service there is a fee, which has nothing to do with the
>> difficulties you experienced.

>MR. Navas...There is no service. I have been inconvenienced well beyond the
>dollar amount of that fee.

Then ask for a credit. If you do that nicely, you may well get it.

December 26, 2004 7:41:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.computer.consultants,alt.politics,soc.culture.australian,soc.culture.british (More info?)

begin bryan_adrian@yahoo.com wrote:

Nothing to do with alt.computer.consultants
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 10:01:15 AM

No one I know carries two phones, but I do. ATTWS should not have these
problems, but they do. All cell service has various problems, and I learned
that years ago. I have ATTWS GSM (former digital TDMA plan for 6 years) and
Verizon CDMA with analog backup. They do not roam on each other's towers,
and if one goes down, the other is up. I'm not pleased with the Cingular
takeover, because when I left Cingular in 1999, I got tired of double
charges with Wildfire.

If I were you, I'd revert to ATTWS. If I had no contract, I'd go shopping.
I use Nokia 6340i's, a Cingular GAIT phone with ATTWS sim (unlocked of
course). That means ATTWS, TMob or Cingular are choices with no phone
change. For the 2nd line, I use Verizon but Sprint the other CDMA carrier
could give you the same backup. My good Verizon plan SRW is no longer
offered, so I'd (or any new customer) could consider Sprint F&C America for
CDMA and analog backup. Regulars know I get a lot of cheap time with ATTWS
while Verizon is more expensive yet covers rural areas. You should know,
but may not care, Verizon is the backup system for Globalstar. If you have
CDMA service the satellite phone will use it. I do not keep satellite up
much these days. I could with one call. And it's not as cheap as cellular,
but it's priced much better than it used to be.

Sorry for your trouble. You're not alone, and it will happen again.

"Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message

> whatsoever. If this persists, I intend to take it back for a refund.
> Question is...are they going to be able to re-enable my V600?
>
> --
> Remove NOSPAM to reply

Anonymous
December 26, 2004 1:55:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.computer.consultants,alt.politics,soc.culture.australian,soc.culture.british (More info?)

Everything to do with alt consulting.

7 wrote:
> begin bryan_adrian@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> Nothing to do with alt.computer.consultants
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 9:49:50 PM

Remove NOSPAM to reply
"Kevin" <replytonewsgroup@oraskforemailaddress.com> wrote in message
> No one I know carries two phones, but I do. ATTWS should not have these
> problems, but they do. All cell service has various problems, and I
learned
> that years ago. I have ATTWS GSM (former digital TDMA plan for 6 years)
and
> Verizon CDMA with analog backup. They do not roam on each other's towers,
> and if one goes down, the other is up. I'm not pleased with the Cingular
> takeover, because when I left Cingular in 1999, I got tired of double
> charges with Wildfire.
>
> If I were you, I'd revert to ATTWS. If I had no contract, I'd go
shopping.
> I use Nokia 6340i's, a Cingular GAIT phone with ATTWS sim (unlocked of
> course). That means ATTWS, TMob or Cingular are choices with no phone
> change. For the 2nd line, I use Verizon but Sprint the other CDMA carrier
> could give you the same backup. My good Verizon plan SRW is no longer
> offered, so I'd (or any new customer) could consider Sprint F&C America
for
> CDMA and analog backup. Regulars know I get a lot of cheap time with
ATTWS
> while Verizon is more expensive yet covers rural areas. You should know,
> but may not care, Verizon is the backup system for Globalstar. If you
have
> CDMA service the satellite phone will use it. I do not keep satellite up
> much these days. I could with one call. And it's not as cheap as
cellular,
> but it's priced much better than it used to be.
>
> Sorry for your trouble. You're not alone, and it will happen again.
>

> "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
>
> > whatsoever. If this persists, I intend to take it back for a refund.
> > Question is...are they going to be able to re-enable my V600?
> >
> > --
> > Remove NOSPAM to reply

Thanks for the reply. I went back to the Cingular store when they opened
today (Sunday). The phone has not yet registered on the system. I said I
wanted to cancel the Cingular account and go back to my old phone since they
couldn't find a way to provide me with the service I paid for. After another
long series of phone calls, I was told that wasn't possible. I must have
Hulked out at that point...don't remember much but in the end I wasn't
leaving without a working phone. It took three hours of phone calls, but
they issued me a new phone number which will be temporary until Cingular can
find a way to enable my old one. Others here have said I should just fall
back on a pager or even a pay phone. I do have a pager but it's for
administrative stuff, they don't really cut it in a medical emergency. If
someone is having a crisis, are they gonna want to call a pager? The pay
phone line was a real laugh...that'll work in todays world.
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 12:47:19 AM

> > How are they supposed to reach you if you're in a coverage hole, or your
> phone
> > is switched off, or the phone battery is dead, or your drop the phone
and
> > break it, or you forget your phone, etc?
> >
> > If constant communication is indeed mission critical to you, then I
> > respectfully suggest that you need to go beyond a single cellular phone,
> > because cellular isn't that reliable; e.g., carry a backup pager.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
> > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
>
> Point is...in ten plus years with ATT including eight or nine equipment
> upgrades...it has never before been an issue. I have had seamless
> transitions between new phones and never had one interruption in service.
> And for this, Cingular wants to add a new service fee to my bill?

Now we know you are exagerrating or lying.

I worked for ATT Wireless for many years and we had more coverage holes and
systems outages than any other carrier. Period. Why do you think AT&T
Wireless was in financial trouble and had such high customer churn?

You also paid an upgrade fee with ATTWS as well. It's amazing how many
customers forget that fact.

--
SS
Anonymous

> --
> Remove NOSPAM to reply
> "Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
> > > I've been with ATT for ten years and had no complaints. I wanted a new
> > > Motorola MPX220, so I went into a Cingular store figuring it's all one
> big
> > > happy family now. I paid my $300 plus tax and settled for half the air
> > time
> > > minutes for the same plan price, but I thought...ok, I don't use a lot
> and
> > > they have roll over anyway. I waited for my expensive new phone to be
> > > enabled on their network...and waited...and waited. I was told the
> system
> > is
> > > backed up. ok...I waited some more. Somehow the system got around to
> > > disabling my old phone (V600 with ATT), but has not yet enabled the
new
> > one.
> > > It is now 16 hours after I purchased the phone and I have no service
> > > whatsoever. If this persists, I intend to take it back for a refund.
> > > Question is...are they going to be able to re-enable my V600?
> >

> > You didn't perhaps forget to call the IVR (*862) from YOUR new handset
and
> > activate your new service did you?
> >
> > You have cycled the phone off/on several times per hour since puchase?
> >
> > I can pretty much gaurantee you haven't done either.
>

> Uh...no you can't guarantee that. Been there, done that and spent 3 hours
> (so far) on the phone with after hours tech support.

Yeah I can.... because I spend about half my day fixing numbnut screwups who
didn't follow the activation directions they were given.

I even had one of my long time customers call me on Christmas morning when
his phone wasn't activated. Come to find out he didn't follow the activation
directions.

Unbeleivable.

--
SS
Anonymous

> "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
> >

> > > How are they supposed to reach you if you're in a coverage hole, or
your
> > phone
> > > is switched off, or the phone battery is dead, or your drop the phone
> and
> > > break it, or you forget your phone, etc?
> > >
> > > If constant communication is indeed mission critical to you, then I
> > > respectfully suggest that you need to go beyond a single cellular
phone,
> > > because cellular isn't that reliable; e.g., carry a backup pager.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
> > > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
> >
> > Point is...in ten plus years with ATT including eight or nine equipment
> > upgrades...it has never before been an issue. I have had seamless
> > transitions between new phones and never had one interruption in
service.
> > And for this, Cingular wants to add a new service fee to my bill?
> >

> Now we know you are exagerrating or lying.
>
> I worked for ATT Wireless for many years and we had more coverage holes
and
> systems outages than any other carrier. Period. Why do you think AT&T
> Wireless was in financial trouble and had such high customer churn?
>
> You also paid an upgrade fee with ATTWS as well. It's amazing how many
> customers forget that fact.

I didn't say there was never a dead spot....I only meant there was never an
interruption in service when transitioning from one phone to another. The
new handset was enabled as the other was disabled. BTW...it's now over sixty
hours and Cingular can't figure out how to enable this new phone.
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 8:59:03 AM

> "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
> >

> > --
> > Remove NOSPAM to reply
> > "Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
> > big
> > > time
> > and
> > system
> > > is
> new
> > > one.
> > >

> > > You didn't perhaps forget to call the IVR (*862) from YOUR new handset
> and
> > > activate your new service did you?
> > >
> > > You have cycled the phone off/on several times per hour since puchase?
> > >
> > > I can pretty much gaurantee you haven't done either.
> >

> > Uh...no you can't guarantee that. Been there, done that and spent 3
hours
> > (so far) on the phone with after hours tech support.
>
> Yeah I can.... because I spend about half my day fixing numbnut screwups
who
> didn't follow the activation directions they were given.
>
> I even had one of my long time customers call me on Christmas morning when
> his phone wasn't activated. Come to find out he didn't follow the
activation
> directions.
>
> Unbeleivable.

Again...you're wrong. Do you think I haven't spent hours on the phone with
tech support? Do you think I haven't spent hours in the Cingular store
forcing the staff to deal with this issue? If it's as easy as you insist,
perhaps you can instruct all the Cingular personnel I've had to deal with
since last Friday and teach them how to iron out all the bugs in their
system. Activating a phone is not a new procedure to me.
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 7:45:07 PM

In <6SRzd.20069$t07.14985@fe10.lga> on Mon, 27 Dec 2004 05:50:56 -0500, "Ric
Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

>"Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message

>> > Point is...in ten plus years with ATT including eight or nine equipment
>> > upgrades...it has never before been an issue. I have had seamless
>> > transitions between new phones and never had one interruption in service.
>> > And for this, Cingular wants to add a new service fee to my bill?
>> >

>> Now we know you are exagerrating or lying.
>>
>> I worked for ATT Wireless for many years and we had more coverage holes and
>> systems outages than any other carrier. Period. Why do you think AT&T
>> Wireless was in financial trouble and had such high customer churn?
>>
>> You also paid an upgrade fee with ATTWS as well. It's amazing how many
>> customers forget that fact.

>I didn't say there was never a dead spot....I only meant there was never an
>interruption in service when transitioning from one phone to another. The
>new handset was enabled as the other was disabled. BTW...it's now over sixty
>hours and Cingular can't figure out how to enable this new phone.

There's a huge difference between (1) upgrading the same service on a single
carrier, and (2) porting from one carrier [ATTWS] to another [Cingular].
(Even though ATTWS and Cingular are now part of the same company, the two
systems are still largely separate.) You might have had the same problem when
porting to some other carrier.
December 27, 2004 7:47:30 PM

In <d_Rzd.20084$mE.4370@fe10.lga> on Mon, 27 Dec 2004 05:59:03 -0500, "Ric
Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

>"Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ric Kaysen" <rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message

>> > Uh...no you can't guarantee that. Been there, done that and spent 3 hours
>> > (so far) on the phone with after hours tech support.
>>
>> Yeah I can.... because I spend about half my day fixing numbnut screwups who
>> didn't follow the activation directions they were given.
>>
>> I even had one of my long time customers call me on Christmas morning when
>> his phone wasn't activated. Come to find out he didn't follow the activation
>> directions.
>>
>> Unbeleivable.

>Again...you're wrong. Do you think I haven't spent hours on the phone with
>tech support? Do you think I haven't spent hours in the Cingular store
>forcing the staff to deal with this issue? If it's as easy as you insist,
>perhaps you can instruct all the Cingular personnel I've had to deal with
>since last Friday and teach them how to iron out all the bugs in their
>system. Activating a phone is not a new procedure to me.

There's a huge difference between (1) upgrading and activating on the same
service of a single carrier, and (2) porting from one carrier [ATTWS] to
another [Cingular]. (Even though ATTWS and Cingular are now part of the same
company, the two systems are still largely separate.) You might have had the
same problem when porting to some other carrier.
December 28, 2004 10:23:30 PM

>Activating a phone is not a new procedure to me.

Might be to the people that you are dealing with!

:-)

--
John S.
December 28, 2004 10:23:31 PM

Remove NOSPAM to reply
"John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message
> >Activating a phone is not a new procedure to me.
>
> Might be to the people that you are dealing with!
>
> :-)
>
> --
> John S.
> e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net

That's scary since it seems I've spoken to everyone at Cingular about the
problem. BTW...over 100 hour later and they can't activate my number yet.
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 11:39:07 PM

"Dazzy Deb" <debhem@pipeline.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:50:26 -0600, "Shaolin Superfly"
> <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:
>
> >Yeah I can.... because I spend about half my day fixing numbnut screwups
who
> >didn't follow the activation directions they were given.
> >
> >I even had one of my long time customers call me on Christmas morning
when
> >his phone wasn't activated. Come to find out he didn't follow the
activation
> >directions.
> >
> >Unbeleivable.
>
> Hey kiddo. If you work for Cingular, you sure aren't helping the
> situation here by insulting Cingular subscribers.

Usually the only people that are insulted are those who KNOW they are the
dumbasses I'm writing about.

So you recognize yourself in my writings, huh?

--
SS
Anonymous

> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:39:07 -0600, "Shaolin Superfly"
> <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:
>

> >"Dazzy Deb" <debhem@pipeline.com> wrote in message
>
> >> Hey kiddo. If you work for Cingular, you sure aren't helping the
> >> situation here by insulting Cingular subscribers.
> >

> >Usually the only people that are insulted are those who KNOW they are the
> >dumbasses I'm writing about.
> >
> >So you recognize yourself in my writings, huh?
>
> Did I say that I was insulted? No, I didn't. Try a reading
> comprehension course.

I think you protest just a bit too much.

> If you stopped to think for a few minutes, not everybody knows as much
> about cell phones as you claim to know. And, NO, I am not one of
> them. I know more about cell phones than I care to know.

Now who needs a reading comprehension course? Please quote where I "claimed"
to know alot about cell phones. I sell cellular service. I have for several
years now. How long have you been in the industry?

> I just made an observation.

Is that what we call snide remarks these days?.

--
SS
Anonymous

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 04:18:38 -0500, "Ric Kaysen"
<rdkaysen@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

>I've been with ATT for ten years and had no complaints. I wanted a new
>Motorola MPX220, so I went into a Cingular store figuring it's all one big
>happy family now. I paid my $300 plus tax and settled for half the air time
>minutes for the same plan price, but I thought...ok, I don't use a lot and
>they have roll over anyway.

Why didn't you just buy the phone and pop in the SIM card from your
old one? Why did you change service plans?

>I waited for my expensive new phone to be
>enabled on their network...and waited...and waited. I was told the system is
>backed up. ok...I waited some more. Somehow the system got around to
>disabling my old phone (V600 with ATT), but has not yet enabled the new one.
>It is now 16 hours after I purchased the phone and I have no service
>whatsoever.

Try power-cycling the phone. This is finally what "woke up" the last
Cingular phone I purchased. Even though the Cingular store clerk told
me I would receive a text message when my phone was activated, that
text message never came. However, the moment I cycled power, the phone
sprang immediately to life.

--
Friends don't let friends shop at Best Buy (except to buy loss leaders for resale on eBay).
(See http://tinyurl.com/6efhd)

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:47:19 -0600, "Shaolin Superfly"
<shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:

>I worked for ATT Wireless for many years and we had more coverage holes and
>systems outages than any other carrier. Period.

Even T-Mobile?

--
!