Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

Hi,
can anybody help?
I have had installed FM2005 on my pc for some time now and at no particular
part or time in the game it just stops and switches to desktop.(my son`s
game)He has to restart the game.
Sometimes it plays ok.......strange!!!!!
i am a novice so advise me as so please!
I am running XP HOME with service pack 2 installed. Is there anytrhing else
you need to know in order to advise me.
many thanks in advance and anticipation

simon

A couple of possibilities. One, you may need updated drivers for the
graphics card on the computer. You need to check the card manufacturer's
website for the latest XP compatible drivers.

Another possibility is something running in the background is stealing the
focus. If any other applications are open when playing the game, close them
before playing and see if that resolves the issue. That said, there are
numerous things that run in the background, various background applications
that help XP run and others are things such as applications that routinely
check for updates. Antivirus applications often do this. You may need to
check the options of various applications to only check for updates at a
certain time, a time when your son wouldn't usually be playing the game.

Another possibility is not enough memory for the graphics card but I'm not
real optimistic that's the issue as that would usually cause the system to
lock up. Nonetheless, it shouldn't be overlooked, especially if the system
shares video memory with main system memory. That usually means that
graphics are run from the motherboard instead of a discrete add-in card
with its own memory.

If none of this helps, you might want to try this question on the
windowsxp.games newsgroup and be sure to tell them what you've tried up to
that point to resolve the issue.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"SIMON" <SIMON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> can anybody help?
> I have had installed FM2005 on my pc for some time now and at no
> particular
> part or time in the game it just stops and switches to desktop.(my son`s
> game)He has to restart the game.
> Sometimes it plays ok.......strange!!!!!
> i am a novice so advise me as so please!
> I am running XP HOME with service pack 2 installed. Is there anytrhing
> else
> you need to know in order to advise me.
> many thanks in advance and anticipation
>
> simon

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

Thanks Michael i will give everything a try

Simon

You're welcome, good luck.