WinXP becomes very slow when copying large files from DVD

valos

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Hi,

I have a very strange problem when I attempt to copy very large files from a DVD onto HDD, the CPU goes to 50% and the whole system becomes very slow, I can barely move app windows or launch other apps.

Here is my rig:

ABIT AB9
Intel E6600
2 GB Corsair DDR2 800
Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S182M, 18x, Dual, LightScribe, DVDRAM, IDE
Western Digital Caviar SE16 400GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
WinXP SP2

Any idea?

Thanks.

lschiedel

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I have a very similar problem with my system.
When i copy 700MB avi files from an external USB HDD to my internal, CPU usage spikes and yet the drive light on the external barely flickers.
And it takes 3-4 minutes to copy the file. (7200RPM to 7200 RPM, USB 2.0)
Yet when i copy the same files on a different machine from one external HDD to another (same drive as above) it gets done in 45 seconds.
It appears that windows XP is either virus checking the file as it copies,
or is indexing the file, or is calculating bit rate on the file constantly.
I have no idea how to turn this off, or why it does it. I even have the anti-virus turned off and it makes no difference.
Any ideas?

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
LOL, if you ask me its because your copying a very large file from a DVD Drive!!! Whenever you are moving such a large piece of information from an optical drive its going to sap resources as your transferring large amounts of data sooooooo.....

hence the slow down ehhhh

8O

valos

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
LOL, if you ask me its because your copying a very large file from a DVD Drive!!! Whenever you are moving such a large piece of information from an optical drive its going to sap resources as your transferring large amounts of data sooooooo.....

hence the slow down ehhhh

8O

Hmmm,

Why does it not happen on my 3 years old DELL laptop when I transfer the same file from the same DVD?

valos

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
I'm guessing you need to install the JMicron driver from the utility CD that comes with the mobo. That should allow any drives connected to the IDE port to work in DMA mode instead of PIO mode.

Yes, after I installed JMicron drivers the problem has been fixed.

Thanks.