XP Home and Pro Don't Talk

I have a home workgroup network with two Windows XP Pro and one XP
Home boxes. I have shared folders and printers on one of the Pro
boxes. From the other Pro box I can connect to the share with
\\office\data, the name of the box, and it works fine. From the Home
box I have to specify the IP address of the share, i.e.
\\192.168.1.21\data.

Can someone explain why this is?
Thanks
Brian

Please take this question to the windowsxp.network_web newsgroup.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
>I have a home workgroup network with two Windows XP Pro and one XP
> Home boxes. I have shared folders and printers on one of the Pro
> boxes. From the other Pro box I can connect to the share with
> \\office\data, the name of the box, and it works fine. From the Home
> box I have to specify the IP address of the share, i.e.
> \\192.168.1.21\data.
>
> Can someone explain why this is?
> Thanks
> Brian

Thank you Michael. Will do.

> Please take this question to the windowsxp.network_web newsgroup.
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
> >I have a home workgroup network with two Windows XP Pro and one XP
> > Home boxes. I have shared folders and printers on one of the Pro
> > boxes. From the other Pro box I can connect to the share with
> > \\office\data, the name of the box, and it works fine. From the
> > box I have to specify the IP address of the share, i.e.
> > \\192.168.1.21\data.
> >
> > Can someone explain why this is?
> > Thanks
> > Brian