can i run a 2nd monitor as primary display with nVidia 7800

ndroo882

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
i am trying to run dual screen setup with my laptop - with an nvidia 7800.. any idea if i can make the laptop display as 2nd display and the external monitor as the primary display in the extended desktop.. when i try to set up the monitor as primary display in nvidia options, it is greyed out.. any idea?

eRazor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
You certainly can. In the video properties you should have a "Use this device as the primary display" check box when your second monitor is active and selected (example assumes Windows XP. YMMV).

scubageek

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Go into Video properties..

Click on your laptop monitor, UNSELECT use as my primary monitor, then select use as extended desktop.

Select #2 Monitor and select use as my primary monitor.

Then using the two blue monitor icons decide on which side your want your laptop monitor to be extended to, left or right.

spitfire_ch

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
Go into Video properties..

Click on your laptop monitor, UNSELECT use as my primary monitor, then select use as extended desktop.

Select #2 Monitor and select use as my primary monitor.

Then using the two blue monitor icons decide on which side your want your laptop monitor to be extended to, left or right.

But what do you do if you cannot unselect "use as my primary monitor" (grayed out)? Is there any hack / workarround to override those very restrictive notebook settings (registry or whatever)?

Any help would be greatly welcome!

Thx, spit