Continuous reboots after SP3 or SP4 installation

Hi,
I am currently running Windows 2000 Professional Service
Pack 1.
I downloaded the Service Pack 4, installed it, rebooted
the computer and entered a continuous reboot cycle. It
almost boots up - gets to the "Loading personal settings"
window then the screen goes all blue with the
message "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" ... "- ntoskrnl.exe.
Next I downloaded Service Pack 3 and tried to install
it, but I had the same result - continuous reboots. The
only difference now is that the message
is "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA".
I recovered from both problems by booting up in SAFE
MODE and uninstalling the service pack update.
Does anybody have any ideas? I need to get to at least
Service Pack 3 so I can install M/S Office Professioal
2003 for my wife.

Thanks,
Dan Fredericks
7 answers Last reply
More about continuous reboots installation
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Try installing in safe mode without any third party stuff running.
    (anti-virus and the like)

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "djfrederi (remove-this) @aol.com" wrote:
    | Hi,
    | I am currently running Windows 2000 Professional Service
    | Pack 1.
    | I downloaded the Service Pack 4, installed it, rebooted
    | the computer and entered a continuous reboot cycle. It
    | almost boots up - gets to the "Loading personal settings"
    | window then the screen goes all blue with the
    | message "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" ... "- ntoskrnl.exe.
    | Next I downloaded Service Pack 3 and tried to install
    | it, but I had the same result - continuous reboots. The
    | only difference now is that the message
    | is "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA".
    | I recovered from both problems by booting up in SAFE
    | MODE and uninstalling the service pack update.
    | Does anybody have any ideas? I need to get to at least
    | Service Pack 3 so I can install M/S Office Professioal
    | 2003 for my wife.
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Dan Fredericks
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Dave,

    I downloaded SP4 from the web site, rebooted my computer
    in the SAFE MODE and ran W2KSP4_EN.EXE, the service pack
    installation routine.
    The service pack installed with the same results - when
    Windows restarted - it got to the "Loading Personal
    Settings" then I got the blue screen with the
    error "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" again. The address
    was the same - "Address 80462147".
    Interesting thing... When I rebooted again in SAFE MODE
    to uninstall SP4, the uninstall wizard got stuck on
    the "Running Processes After Uninstall" step. It was
    there for over 20 minutes before I "end task"'ed it with
    Task Manager. Then I restarted my computer and it seems
    to be running okay again. (i.e. The SP4 uninstall abort
    didn't seem to hurt it).

    Any other ideas as to how I can install SP4?

    Thanks,
    Dan

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"djfrederi (remove-this) @aol.com" wrote:
    >| Hi,
    >| I am currently running Windows 2000 Professional
    Service
    >| Pack 1.
    >| I downloaded the Service Pack 4, installed it,
    rebooted
    >| the computer and entered a continuous reboot cycle. It
    >| almost boots up - gets to the "Loading personal
    settings"
    >| window then the screen goes all blue with the
    >| message "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" ... "-
    ntoskrnl.exe.
    >| Next I downloaded Service Pack 3 and tried to install
    >| it, but I had the same result - continuous reboots. The
    >| only difference now is that the message
    >| is "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA".
    >| I recovered from both problems by booting up in SAFE
    >| MODE and uninstalling the service pack update.
    >| Does anybody have any ideas? I need to get to at
    least
    >| Service Pack 3 so I can install M/S Office Professioal
    >| 2003 for my wife.
    >|
    >| Thanks,
    >| Dan Fredericks
    >

    >.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    You might check that all hardware drivers and mb bios are the latest
    version.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "djfrederi (remove_this) @aol.com" wrote:
    | Dave,
    |
    | I downloaded SP4 from the web site, rebooted my computer
    | in the SAFE MODE and ran W2KSP4_EN.EXE, the service pack
    | installation routine.
    | The service pack installed with the same results - when
    | Windows restarted - it got to the "Loading Personal
    | Settings" then I got the blue screen with the
    | error "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" again. The address
    | was the same - "Address 80462147".
    | Interesting thing... When I rebooted again in SAFE MODE
    | to uninstall SP4, the uninstall wizard got stuck on
    | the "Running Processes After Uninstall" step. It was
    | there for over 20 minutes before I "end task"'ed it with
    | Task Manager. Then I restarted my computer and it seems
    | to be running okay again. (i.e. The SP4 uninstall abort
    | didn't seem to hurt it).
    |
    | Any other ideas as to how I can install SP4?
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Dan
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Dave,
    I'm not real sure how to do this... I bought the
    computer from Dell 3 years ago. How do I figure out what
    hardware I have and where to go to check for the latest
    drivers?
    What's "mb bios"? I think I understand what the bios
    is, but I've never heard of the "mb" bios.

    Thanks,
    Dan

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"djfrederi (remove_this) @aol.com" wrote:
    >| Dave,
    >|
    >| I downloaded SP4 from the web site, rebooted my
    computer
    >| in the SAFE MODE and ran W2KSP4_EN.EXE, the service pack
    >| installation routine.
    >| The service pack installed with the same results -
    when
    >| Windows restarted - it got to the "Loading Personal
    >| Settings" then I got the blue screen with the
    >| error "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" again. The address
    >| was the same - "Address 80462147".
    >| Interesting thing... When I rebooted again in SAFE
    MODE
    >| to uninstall SP4, the uninstall wizard got stuck on
    >| the "Running Processes After Uninstall" step. It was
    >| there for over 20 minutes before I "end task"'ed it with
    >| Task Manager. Then I restarted my computer and it seems
    >| to be running okay again. (i.e. The SP4 uninstall abort
    >| didn't seem to hurt it).
    >|
    >| Any other ideas as to how I can install SP4?
    >|
    >| Thanks,
    >| Dan
    >

    >.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Go here and put in your service tag.
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

    (same thing mb = motherboard)

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "djfrederi (remove-this) @aol.com" wrote:
    | Dave,
    | I'm not real sure how to do this... I bought the
    | computer from Dell 3 years ago. How do I figure out what
    | hardware I have and where to go to check for the latest
    | drivers?
    | What's "mb bios"? I think I understand what the bios
    | is, but I've never heard of the "mb" bios.
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Dan
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Dave,

    Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

    The problem turned out to be a file called "windrvr.sys"
    that was in my c:\winnt\system32\drivers directory. I
    don't know why I have this file, but I renamed it and SP4
    installed without any problems.

    That's the short answer but it took a while to find it.
    I finally wound up calling Microsoft and getting help from
    them. It took them a couple of days to figure it out,
    too, so I don't feel so bad.

    Anyway, I certainly appreciate your help. Thanks to you
    I also have my BIOS up-to-date along with several other
    things.

    Sincerely yours,
    Dan Fredericks

    P.S. My wife is happy now, too. Office 2003 installed
    without any problems after SP4 started working.

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"djfrederi (remove-this) @aol.com" wrote:
    >| Dave,
    >| I'm not real sure how to do this... I bought the
    >| computer from Dell 3 years ago. How do I figure out
    what
    >| hardware I have and where to go to check for the latest
    >| drivers?
    >| What's "mb bios"? I think I understand what the bios
    >| is, but I've never heard of the "mb" bios.
    >|
    >| Thanks,
    >| Dan
    >

    >.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Glad to hear it is resolved. Thanks for the feedback.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "djfrederi (remove_this) @aol.com" wrote:
    | Dave,
    |
    | Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.
    |
    | The problem turned out to be a file called "windrvr.sys"
    | that was in my c:\winnt\system32\drivers directory. I
    | don't know why I have this file, but I renamed it and SP4
    | installed without any problems.
    |
    | That's the short answer but it took a while to find it.
    | I finally wound up calling Microsoft and getting help from
    | them. It took them a couple of days to figure it out,
    | too, so I don't feel so bad.
    |
    | Anyway, I certainly appreciate your help. Thanks to you
    | I also have my BIOS up-to-date along with several other
    | things.
    |
    | Sincerely yours,
    | Dan Fredericks
    |
    | P.S. My wife is happy now, too. Office 2003 installed
    | without any problems after SP4 started working.

Windows