Win98 to Win 2000 Professional, missing/corrupt file

Hi. We upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows 2000
Professional about 3 years ago. We have had many problems
since then. This being the most recent:

After having been on my PC doing some work, I closed all
files and let the PC go into stand-by mode. I noticed
later that it had re-booted itself and was on a black
screen. "could not load Windows 2000 Prof, the following
file is missing or corrupt" \WINNT\System32
\Config\systemced.

I tried using the Windows 2000 Prof disc one to reboot,
by pressing 'r' before the windows screen started to
load. Never would work. So I rebooted using my Windows
98 startup disk. I am now stuck in Windows 98. I can see
all of my files are still in there respective drives. We
have partitioned our hard-drive into 4 partitions, it is
a 120 GB's. I have reinstalled win98 to fix the corrupt
or missing file, based on some advice from a programmer
friend. I then attempted to reinstall Win 2000
Professional, but at the very end, it says cannot update
due to multiple Operating Systems.

Is there any way to get back to Windows 2000 Professional
so I can back everything up and move on to a clean
install of Windows XP Home Edition?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Andromeda

You could have easily replaced the corrupt system hive of the registry but
it sounds like you're way past that now. Recover your data from a parallel
install then start a new install.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional