How to stop 2000 choice list

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I began an upgrade from 98, but aborted it due to hardware issues. However,
win2000 is still displayed as a startup choice - the default startup choice.
If I don't act quickly, 2000 will be chosen for me - and that leads to a
dead-end, making it necessary to reboot.

How do I eliminate this boot up system choice and go back to 98 as the
default?

Thanks,
John

You can boot with your Win98 startup disk and issue the command
sys C:
this will rewrite the boot sector, then you can delete these files boot.ini,
ntldr, ntdetect.com, bootsect.dos, pagefile.sys and possibly ntbootdd.sys
from the root of the System partition C:\., then you can delete the Windows
2000 boot partition or possibly the \winnt directory (whichever the case)

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]