Error lock up! "NTLDR is missing"

I had ME on this computer and ran Fdisk and Formatted the
hd without the fat32 file...I was trying to upgrade to
2000 Pro...now I realize I messed up and when the
computer boots, it locks up with the message that says
NTLDR is missing "Press any key to restart?" It really
says pres Ctl,Alt,Del to restart... If you know how to
explain to me how to write a Boot File on a floppy, that
will get me past this error I sure wouold appreciate
it please e-mail me as I dont know if I could ever
find this board again.. thanks Grant

ohh yea this might help... the URL I went to for help is
below.. please let me know what you think...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
US;255220

WGA@aol.com
9 answers Last reply
More about error lock ntldr missing
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    There is no supported upgrade path from WinME to Windows 2000. Best to start
    a clean install. To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install
    CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install disks can be created from
    your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom
    and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow
    the prompts.

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Grant" wrote:
    | I had ME on this computer and ran Fdisk and Formatted the
    | hd without the fat32 file...I was trying to upgrade to
    | 2000 Pro...now I realize I messed up and when the
    | computer boots, it locks up with the message that says
    | NTLDR is missing "Press any key to restart?" It really
    | says pres Ctl,Alt,Del to restart... If you know how to
    | explain to me how to write a Boot File on a floppy, that
    | will get me past this error I sure wouold appreciate
    | it please e-mail me as I dont know if I could ever
    | find this board again.. thanks Grant
    |
    | ohh yea this might help... the URL I went to for help is
    | below.. please let me know what you think...
    |
    | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
    | US;255220
    |
    | WGA@aol.com
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Dave: thanks for the reply and your "fix" would probaly
    work if I could just get past that "error: to an A: or C:
    prompt.. sorry I was unclear about that.. Ive tried to
    boot to a win2k cd and a win98 install cd and tried to
    boot to the win2k setup floppy "I have the set of 4
    install disks" and tried to boot to every 98 and "repair"
    and "fix disk" floppy I have, except the "boot disk I
    mentioned below" that I was not able to write a Boot.ini
    file to.. I cannot get past the "NTLDR is missing"
    error, no matter what type of disk I put in the drive...
    I need to find out how I can get past the error to a C:
    or A: promp... if I can get to an A: or a C: Im home
    free.. I will be able to do a clean install just like you
    mentioned... Please help thanks Grant

    install, then again
    >restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to
    avoid unexpected drive
    >letter assignments with your new install.
    >
    >--
    >Regards,

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"Grant" wrote:
    >| I had ME on this computer and ran Fdisk and Formatted
    the
    >| hd without the fat32 file...I was trying to upgrade to
    >| 2000 Pro...now I realize I messed up and when the
    >| computer boots, it locks up with the message that says
    >| NTLDR is missing "Press any key to restart?" It really
    >| says pres Ctl,Alt,Del to restart... If you know how to
    >| explain to me how to write a Boot File on a floppy,
    that
    >| will get me past this error I sure wouold appreciate
    >| it please e-mail me as I dont know if I could ever
    >| find this board again.. thanks Grant
    >|
    >| ohh yea this might help... the URL I went to for help
    is
    >| below.. please let me know what you think...
    >|
    >| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
    >| US;255220
    >|
    >| WGA@aol.com
    >

    >.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Possibly set the boot order in cmos setup to CD-Rom first in boot sequence.
    Also look for the keystroke (if necessary) at POST to force boot from CD-Rom
    drive or check your mb/pc manual for instructions.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    | Dave: thanks for the reply and your "fix" would probaly
    | work if I could just get past that "error: to an A: or C:
    | prompt.. sorry I was unclear about that.. Ive tried to
    | boot to a win2k cd and a win98 install cd and tried to
    | boot to the win2k setup floppy "I have the set of 4
    | install disks" and tried to boot to every 98 and "repair"
    | and "fix disk" floppy I have, except the "boot disk I
    | mentioned below" that I was not able to write a Boot.ini
    | file to.. I cannot get past the "NTLDR is missing"
    | error, no matter what type of disk I put in the drive...
    | I need to find out how I can get past the error to a C:
    | or A: promp... if I can get to an A: or a C: Im home
    | free.. I will be able to do a clean install just like you
    | mentioned... Please help thanks Grant
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    thanks Dave, I will try to change booting sequence in
    cmos and retry a cd, but I would have thought the
    a:prompt boot first sequence w/a boot disk in A drive
    would have worked, btw there are no keystroke indicators
    at power up, except for press esc for setup.. I think
    thats it.. if there were a keystroke to force the pc to
    boot to the cd first, how would I find it? thanks Grant

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >| Dave: thanks for the reply and your "fix" would probaly
    >| work if I could just get past that "error: to an A: or
    C:
    >| prompt.. sorry I was unclear about that.. Ive tried to
    >| boot to a win2k cd and a win98 install cd and tried to
    >| boot to the win2k setup floppy "I have the set of 4
    >| install disks" and tried to boot to every 98
    and "repair"
    >| and "fix disk" floppy I have, except the "boot disk I
    >| mentioned below" that I was not able to write a
    Boot.ini
    >| file to.. I cannot get past the "NTLDR is missing"
    >| error, no matter what type of disk I put in the
    drive...
    >| I need to find out how I can get past the error to a C:
    >| or A: promp... if I can get to an A: or a C: Im home
    >| free.. I will be able to do a clean install just like
    you
    >| mentioned... Please help thanks Grant
    >

    >.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    In your pc or mb manual. If you don't have it check the pc or mb
    manufacturer's web site.

    --

    "Grant" wrote:
    | thanks Dave, I will try to change booting sequence in
    | cmos and retry a cd, but I would have thought the
    | a:prompt boot first sequence w/a boot disk in A drive
    | would have worked, btw there are no keystroke indicators
    | at power up, except for press esc for setup.. I think
    | thats it.. if there were a keystroke to force the pc to
    | boot to the cd first, how would I find it? thanks Grant
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Ive been to a lot of Manufacturers web sites, but dont
    think I ever remember seeing a "keystroke" option in any
    of them... :) but I ll take a look anyway thanks Grant

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"Grant" wrote:
    >| thanks Dave, I will try to change booting sequence in
    >| cmos and retry a cd, but I would have thought the
    >| a:prompt boot first sequence w/a boot disk in A drive
    >| would have worked, btw there are no keystroke
    indicators
    >| at power up, except for press esc for setup.. I think
    >| thats it.. if there were a keystroke to force the pc to
    >| boot to the cd first, how would I find it? thanks
    Grant

    >.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    I was able to set the CMOS to boot from cd-rom and the
    message I get is NLTD? cd-rom .... Faliure.. then
    the same old message .. NTLDR missing!!! I tried a
    win2k disk and a win98 and a win98 2ed. none of them
    worked.. any more suggestions????????? thanks Grant

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Dave, apparently you missed part of my original post.
    If you will recheck it you will see a Microsoft Support
    Web site at the Bottom of my post, if you log to it you
    will see what MS recomends to resolve my problem, would
    you mind looking at it and let me know what you think..
    thanks Grant

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    This sounds like the drive may have failed.

    --

    "Grant" wrote:

    | I was able to set the CMOS to boot from cd-rom and the
    | message I get is NLTD? cd-rom .... Faliure.. then
    | the same old message .. NTLDR missing!!! I tried a
    | win2k disk and a win98 and a win98 2ed. none of them
    | worked.. any more suggestions????????? thanks Grant

Computers Ntldr Windows