How to backup my PIM info without having outlook display a..

June 16, 2005 1:46:00 AM

I share my home computer with my family. I want to backup my PIM info,
without having outlook display all my apointments/tasks/reminders on my
home pc. I dont use outlook at all on PC, thats why i got a PPC (to
use as an organizer), and it is really annoying to have all my
task/apointments/alarms come up on my PC when I have my PPC in my
pocket anyway and even more annoying that all my info is available to
everyone else who uses the comp. Am I missing something obvious?
There has got to be a better way than to make a new backup file
everytime i sync, I really have no interest in using outlook at all,
for anything. My PPC has a Flash Disc, is there a way to store or
backup all my PIM info on that?
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 9:52:34 AM

<skysfall@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I share my home computer with my family. I want to backup my PIM info,
> without having outlook display all my apointments/tasks/reminders on my
> home pc. I dont use outlook at all on PC, thats why i got a PPC (to
> use as an organizer), and it is really annoying to have all my
> task/apointments/alarms come up on my PC when I have my PPC in my
> pocket anyway and even more annoying that all my info is available to
> everyone else who uses the comp. Am I missing something obvious?
> There has got to be a better way than to make a new backup file
> everytime i sync, I really have no interest in using outlook at all,
> for anything. My PPC has a Flash Disc, is there a way to store or
> backup all my PIM info on that?

You can back up to a memory card, a number of programs can do this. Check
the CD's that came with your unnamed secret PPC, there may be something
there- mine came with 2 such programs. You check the newsgroup archives,
programs have been mentioned in the past.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 11:13:14 AM

"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
news:D 8r0ik$631$2@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...

| <skysfall@gmail.com> wrote in message
| >I share my home computer with my family. I want to backup my PIM info,
| > without having outlook display all my apointments/tasks/reminders on my
| > home pc. I dont use outlook at all on PC, thats why i got a PPC (to
| > use as an organizer), and it is really annoying to have all my
| > task/apointments/alarms come up on my PC when I have my PPC in my
| > pocket anyway and even more annoying that all my info is available to
| > everyone else who uses the comp. Am I missing something obvious?
| > There has got to be a better way than to make a new backup file
| > everytime i sync, I really have no interest in using outlook at all,
| > for anything. My PPC has a Flash Disc, is there a way to store or
| > backup all my PIM info on that?
| >

| You can back up to a memory card, a number of programs can do this. Check
| the CD's that came with your unnamed secret PPC, there may be something
| there- mine came with 2 such programs. You check the newsgroup archives,
| programs have been mentioned in the past.

you can also set-up your pocketPC to not sync your PIM data to your PC (just
un-select all the items you dont want synced in setup), but turn on
activesyncs automatic backup feature. everytime you dock your PPC you get
a full backup, without syncing any data to outlook.
June 16, 2005 1:27:19 PM

fwiw, I strongly recommend a good backup to memory card program in
preference to using the activesync backup option.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 8:51:25 PM

message news:o d59B%23ncFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> fwiw, I strongly recommend a good backup to memory card program in
> preference to using the activesync backup option.
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

especially the kind that automatically backs up your machine when the
battery gets low.
June 17, 2005 11:27:29 PM

Alan Smith wrote:
> especially the kind that automatically backs up your machine when the
> battery gets low.

As I found out yesterday, my iPaq shuts off the memory cards when the
battery gets low... so this kind if backup can be of limited use.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.