Sign in with
Your question

How To Integrate A Wireless Laptop (Internet Access Only)

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 9, 2007 12:22:56 AM

I want to allow a laptop to wirelessly access the internet but isolate it from the rest of my wired LAN. I read the sticky about using two routers, but I only have one (Zyxel Zywall firewall/router w/4 port switch.

Can I simply connect a wireless access point to an unused port on the router and set the port as a DMZ? :idea:

Will this give me functionally the same design as the two router setup?

Are there any downsides to this?
January 9, 2007 3:20:51 AM

Many wireless / wired routers have a setup option to isolate the wireless clients from the wired LAN. Check your router's documentation.
January 9, 2007 10:30:34 AM

I am still wading through the 804 page users guide 8O , and the 305 page technical support publication :!: 8O , but have not found anything dedicated to this specific topic.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 9, 2007 10:58:15 AM

Quote:
Many wireless / wired routers have a setup option to isolate the wireless clients from the wired LAN. Check your router's documentation.

I've never seen a hoem router with those capabilities. Can you post a link?

Grumpy
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 9, 2007 10:59:14 AM

You need a seperate router with a different subnet.

Grumpy
January 9, 2007 12:22:07 PM

Quote:

I found this in the documentation, and I think this is the function you are describing:

Quote:
WLAN IP Alias
IP alias allows you to partition a physical network into different logical networks over the same Ethernet interface. The ZyWALL supports three logical WLAN interfaces via a its single physical Ethernet with the ZyWALL itself as the gateway for each WLAN network.

What I do not understand is how this is different than the DMZ function which is used to partion a server connected through the Zywall to the internet. Isn't this essentially the same function?
January 9, 2007 1:22:35 PM

Quote:

I've never seen a hoem router with those capabilities. Can you post a link?

GrumpyIt is not a router I recommend for other reasons, but the Hawking 54G has this capability.
January 9, 2007 11:02:00 PM

My Netgear FVS338 & FVS338 support up to 10 Vlans.
!