Sign in with
Your question

AMD to skip 65nm for Fab 30?

Last response: in CPUs
March 20, 2007 5:39:18 PM

http://chip.seekingalpha.com/article/29991

Quote:
Luke says he now believes that the inventory build which triggered the company’s March 5 earnings pre-announcement could continue into the second quarter. He also says the company now apparently plans to convert its chip fab in Dresden to 45 nm from 90 nm, skipping 65 nm and “raising concerns about potential execution hurdles as this represents the first time a leap of this magnitude will be attempted over such a short period.”

But I don't think the analyst is right about that. :?

More about : amd skip 65nm fab

March 20, 2007 5:51:50 PM

Quote:

Luke says he now believes that the inventory build which triggered the company’s March 5 earnings pre-announcement could continue into the second quarter. He also says the company now apparently plans to convert its chip fab in Dresden to 45 nm from 90 nm, skipping 65 nm and “raising concerns about potential execution hurdles as this represents the first time a leap of this magnitude will be attempted over such a short period.”

Well, I actually thought that they would go to 45nm with Fab38. I mean, Chartered can effectively get 1.7x their output by switching to 65nm. Then since that should do all Brisbane they can leave 1/3 of Fab 30 at 90nm 300mm and take down 2/3 for 45nm.

Then Fab 36 can concentrate on Barcelona derivatives. We'll see though. I just can't believe AMD is still talkng about lowering prices.

RUIZ and Otellini HAVE LOST THEIR MINDS!!!!!!

I think we may need an intervention.
March 20, 2007 5:55:14 PM

Quote:

WOW!!! There's some bold Sh1t going on in this industry right now! Very entertaining to say the leaset.
Related resources
March 20, 2007 6:24:14 PM

Quote:
I just can't believe AMD is still talkng about lowering prices.

My vote is for an Exorcism. 8)
March 20, 2007 6:27:56 PM

Quote:

It may be that serious.
March 20, 2007 6:28:16 PM

its a good idea for them though...maybe they can trickle 45nm products to retailers while intel is flooding the market with them?!

They have about a year to figure out 45nm...

I still agree with AMD how they shoulda slapped together a quadcore brisbane...then at least they'd have a chip they could sell for more than 500 bucks....

I know they didn't because of AM2+ and the new hypertransport...I mean intel is going to force people out of the brand new 965 chipsets in the next couple months...
March 20, 2007 6:29:52 PM

Quote:
It may be that serious.

What's going on here is a typical game of chicken, like in the old beach blanket movies. The two hotrods are facing the cliff and let's hit the gas and see who hits the brake first. I'm not too sure of the brakes though... one of the cars may end up taking a leap! 8O
March 20, 2007 6:42:46 PM

Quote:
I tok so much heat for bashing the friggen execs for poor planning when the community here wanted to sympathize.

Sad that I was right and humorous that everyone is now on that same point.

I was saying last year that they got distracted in productizing with ATI;And they have since admitted it.
I should have kept all my state ments in word documents. :roll:

Dewd, thee art the Oracle of THG and are worthy of all praise, honour and animal sacrifice. :lol: 

JK, you have been right all along. And you took your lumps along the way! I think that a lot of people just couldn't agree that AMD had taken the road that they have until it became so overly obvious. I don't think that they could have believed it!!!
March 20, 2007 8:38:57 PM

Quote:

Can we get Silar to help? Now that would be some prime time viewing!!!
March 20, 2007 8:46:21 PM

Quote:
It may be that serious.

What's going on here is a typical game of chicken, like in the old beach blanket movies. The two hotrods are facing the cliff and let's hit the gas and see who hits the brake first. I'm not too sure of the brakes though... one of the cars may end up taking a leap! 8O

That would imply things are equal here. No this is more like they charge down the road straight at each other and see who is first to swerve. OK then the race is Intel as the 200 ton Terex truck and AMD is the chevy cobalt alright lets see how this goes.
March 20, 2007 10:55:31 PM

AMD is teching, maybe Intel will try to zerg them.
March 20, 2007 11:55:57 PM

This is actually a good idea, banking solely on K10's success, though.
March 21, 2007 12:02:08 AM

Quote:

It will be a good idea if the 45nm process can be a quicker transition than 65nm. It will certainly help AMD, but with the trouble they seemingly have/had with 65m, 45nm can be a costly venture if they run into the same issues at 65nm.
March 21, 2007 12:07:37 AM

Quote:

It will be a good idea if the 45nm process can be a quicker transition than 65nm. It will certainly help AMD, but with the trouble they seemingly have/had with 65m, 45nm can be a costly venture if they run into the same issues at 65nm.

It seems to me that 45nm might go smoother. It looks like IBM is really jazzed about it, and that bodes well for AMD.
March 21, 2007 12:34:30 AM

Quote:
Not to bad of an analogy but I probably would have went with the truck and a pinto. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

ROFL

A lexus and a VW bug. :lol: 

ZZOOOOMMM.... . . . . . . AAARRGGHHH!!!!!
March 21, 2007 6:00:41 AM

Quote:
AMD is teching, maybe Intel will try to zerg them.

No wai! SCV rush FTW
March 22, 2007 5:36:22 AM

Maybe they're hacking And AMD is complaining? :oops: 
March 27, 2007 9:14:12 AM

Hahaha, so would I. So would I...
!