How to dump Media Player 10 for MP 9?

I made the the mistake of upgrading my Media Player 9
to Media Player 10.

Now it is twice as complicated to do a simple MP3 file transfer
from my hard drive to my portable MP3 player.

Anyone know how I can dump media player 10 and go
back to version 9?

Uninstalling version 10 doesn't help. When I do, Win XP
says I can't install an older version - Media Player 9.

Steve
8 answers Last reply
More about dump media player

    To uninstall wmp10 series one must use system restore,otherwise
    a xp reinstall is the only way to revert back.

    "steven@nospam.com" wrote:

    > I made the the mistake of upgrading my Media Player 9
    > to Media Player 10.
    >
    > Now it is twice as complicated to do a simple MP3 file transfer
    > from my hard drive to my portable MP3 player.
    >
    > Anyone know how I can dump media player 10 and go
    > back to version 9?
    >
    > Uninstalling version 10 doesn't help. When I do, Win XP
    > says I can't install an older version - Media Player 9.
    >
    > Steve

    http://www.auditmypc.com/uninstall-media-player10beta.asp

    I've tried the instructions at the link above and it worked for me to remove
    WMP10 and revert back to my earlier WMP 8. Just follow the instructions
    exactly.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:37:04 -0800, Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com>
    wrote:

    > To uninstall wmp10 series one must use system restore,otherwise
    > a xp reinstall is the only way to revert back.

    I finally did have to use System Restore to get rid of Media Player
    10. Media Player 9 is working fine now.

    Thanks.

    > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:37:04 -0800, Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > To uninstall wmp10 series one must use system restore,otherwise
    > > a xp reinstall is the only way to revert back.
    >
    > I finally did have to use System Restore to get rid of Media Player
    > 10. Media Player 9 is working fine now.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Did you try the method at the link I posted? If so what happened?

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:39:14 -0600, "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca>
    wrote:

    ><steven@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:37:04 -0800, Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > To uninstall wmp10 series one must use system restore,otherwise
    >> > a xp reinstall is the only way to revert back.
    >>
    >> I finally did have to use System Restore to get rid of Media Player
    >> 10. Media Player 9 is working fine now.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> >

    >Did you try the method at the link I posted? If so what happened?

    The link said only use that method if uninstall is not available for
    media player 10.

    > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:39:14 -0600, "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca>
    > wrote:
    >
    > ><steven@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > >> I finally did have to use System Restore to get rid of Media Player
    > >> 10. Media Player 9 is working fine now.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.
    > >> >

    > >Did you try the method at the link I posted? If so what happened?
    >
    > The link said only use that method if uninstall is not available for
    > media player 10.

    I do not understand what you mean. When you looked in Add and Remove
    Programs did you see an option to uninstall Media Player 10? If so why
    didn't you use it instead of using System Restore? The link I supplied works
    and you don't have to run System Restore. While running System Restore isn't
    the worst thing to do it will cause you to lose settings and programs you've
    installed between the time you installed WMP 10 and decided to revert back.
    In my case I would likely have to reinstall several programs and settings
    again had I used it to dump WMP 10. The instructions at the site simply
    reverted my back to my earlier version of WMP without any other effect to my
    system.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:05:37 -0600, "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca>
    wrote:

    ><steven@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:39:14 -0600, "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> ><steven@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >> >Did you try the method at the link I posted? If so what happened?
    >>
    >> The link said only use that method if uninstall is not available for
    >> media player 10.
    >
    >I do not understand what you mean. When you looked in Add and Remove
    >Programs did you see an option to uninstall Media Player 10?

    Yes. And I did uninstall it. But, that was useless as Win XP still
    insisted I could not install version 9 because a newer version of
    Media Player was present (The newer version was NOT present).

    The only program I installed since putting Media Player 10 on the hard
    drive was PowerZip version 7. It was easy to reinstall since it
    "remembered" my product key.

    Now, with Media Player version 9 back, I can right click on a MP3 file
    and choose "copy to CD or device". Then send the MP3 file to my
    portable MP3 player. When Media Player 10 is installed, this
    capability is removed from Win XP.

    BTW, I used system restore to fix a friend's computer. Her
    grandchildren visted for the day and played on her computer.
    By the time they left, the computer was frozen. Using system restore
    I put back the computer back to the day before their visit. It works
    fine now. I did have to access system restore from the "safe mode"
    since the regular mode would lock up the computer.

    If so why
    >didn't you use it instead of using System Restore? The link I supplied works
    >and you don't have to run System Restore. While running System Restore isn't
    >the worst thing to do it will cause you to lose settings and programs you've
    >installed between the time you installed WMP 10 and decided to revert back.
    >In my case I would likely have to reinstall several programs and settings
    >again had I used it to dump WMP 10. The instructions at the site simply
    >reverted my back to my earlier version of WMP without any other effect to my
    >system.

    The instructions on the site refer to a beta version of media player.
    So the registry entries were slightly different than what is on my
    computer. So I tried system restore instead. If system restore didn't
    fix the problem, I would have tried modifying the registry next.

    > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:05:37 -0600, "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca>
    > wrote:

    [snip]

    > The instructions on the site refer to a beta version of media player.
    > So the registry entries were slightly different than what is on my
    > computer. So I tried system restore instead. If system restore didn't
    > fix the problem, I would have tried modifying the registry next.

    Ok thanks for the update.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp