Tech support? I think not.

Featherstone

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
My friend just built a computer and was trying to run oblivion. The game was crashing a lot so he decided to call tech support. The guy on the phone asked him for his system specs and he told him he had a core 2 duo 6300 1.87 ghz processor. The tech support told him that the game required a 2ghz processor and that was his problem... My friend said "You know its a core 2 duo right?" And the tech said "Yes but its still not 2Ghz"

Anyway, that is my tech support story, they are so frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas of what my friend should do to solve oblivion crashing?

I can't remember all specs but...

x1950xt
580W mushkin
E6300
1 GB G.skill(i think)

agentsmith957

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
What kind of crashing is it? Blue screens? Ingame error? System freezing? Please describe exactly what happens and the exact text of any error message you get.

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
What kind of crash is it? Crash to desktop, crash the PC, or lock-up?

Is it the only thing that crashes on his PC?

EDIT: Yeah I hate it when I post at the same time :oops:

rickpcnerd

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
try overclocking your friends processor to 2.0 see if it works. These will be a very light overclock since the 6300 could go up to 3.0.

Yes, it can overclock well, but that's not relevant anymore. The ghz measure was based off the old Pentium CPUs and no longer applies to any mainstream processors now. Heck it didn't even apply to AMD a few years ago with the Athalon 64. The CPU clock speed should not be the cause of the error.

@ OP: as mentioned, list the specific type of crash.