Ram for now and the future!

freols

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I have decided a little more so have a new question :oops:
I am in an interim period right now.
Immediately I need some more RAM and a new PSU.

In the near future I will need a new CPU and GPU (and hence a new mobo).

A decent Hiper PSU should work for any future build, but I am a total novice when it comes to RAM.

I currently have 2 x 512mb sticks of Corsair ValueSelect RAM plugged into my Abit AV8 mobo.

I want to buy 2gb of really decent RAM that I can use in my future build. What should I (can I) buy that will work really well in the future but work in my old board. I don't know the difference between DDR and DDR2 btw.

ecosoft

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
freols Dude :D
You need to specify ... be absolutely specific ... about what you've "decided a little more" about! What CPU/mobo/case/etc.

As for RAM, well we all B hosed in that department ... DDR cannot be used with a DDR2 mobo, and DDR3 is already in the pipeline! As for rock solid performance with a lifetime warranty go Micron-Crucial Ballistix. Remember here, Micron supplies the vast majority of RAM chips to all of the high $$$ suppliers (OCZ, etc., etc.)

As for power supplies, read this before you "decide" these guys have the whole PS issue nailed flat and their engineering is superb: Power supply myths Also make sure to check their "special offers" as those units also carry a full warranty :)

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
PC&C is a good PSU company, for sure... BUT what you posted is a marketing blurb, NOT a performance comparison. There are some details in that blurb that are a bit dubious at best.

freols

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
OK, so... it sounds like I need to decide what to do in relation to RAM being DDR or DDR2.

Will DDR3 RAM, when it comes out, work in DDR2 mobos?

grifter33

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
ddr2 and ddr3, while both being 240 pin are not compatible. They require different memory controllers, and have the slot located in different positions to prevent people from "accidentally" installing one in the wrong kind of mobo.

When the new p35 boards do come out some will have both ddr2 and ddr3 slots but they cannot both be used at the same time, it's one or the other.

Your best bet for futureproofing, is to wait a month or 2 for those p35 based boards hit the market.. DDr3 will be very expensive early on though since supplies will be very low.

gloppppp

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I have decided a little more so have a new question :oops:
I am in an interim period right now.
Immediately I need some more RAM and a new PSU.

In the near future I will need a new CPU and GPU (and hence a new mobo).

A decent Hiper PSU should work for any future build, but I am a total novice when it comes to RAM.

I currently have 2 x 512mb sticks of Corsair ValueSelect RAM plugged into my Abit AV8 mobo.

I want to buy 2gb of really decent RAM that I can use in my future build. What should I (can I) buy that will work really well in the future but work in my old board. I don't know the difference between DDR and DDR2 btw.
:arrow: Depending on when you plan to upgrade you may want to stick with your 2 x 512mb for now,MBs are in most cases very specific in the type of memory they require so the difference between your current MB and your future purchase will probably render anything you buy now unusable in your next mb buy.Anyway unless your a hardcore gamer 1GB should suffice.But hey if your rich buy some now and some later! Good luck!

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Buy a Pair of 8888s from corsair.... its about as future proof as it gets... unless intel decides to make a CPU with 2220 FSB tomorow...