Tags:
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
March 29, 2005 10:38:30 PM

Hi Everyone!!
Firstly i would like to explain that i had the about:blank trojan and many
many other virus's that my computer had to fixed up to the point that its
back to its original state of when i first brought it. Meaning every program
i had ever installed on it or downloaded are all now gone.
I dont even have service pack 1 anymore. Its as basic as you can get it!

I have xp home pre installed from the factory on it.
I tried to install office 2003 last night and it said i have an error (no
name of error) but i needed to update my computer before installation could
take place.

So i went to the update site and waited for it to read my computer for any
updates and nothing at all - i couldnt get one update!!!

I have no idea why and that is my problem.
When i brought my computer the retail store accidently put a xp pro disc in
with my computer. I did install this but obviously its not on anymore because
of being put back to its original state (factory state)
xp pro comes with service pack 1 - i was wondering if i re installed xp pro
in which i do want to do anyway would this fix up my problem.

its just that my computer does not pick up any updates what so ever. As i
said i dont even have service pack 1 so i cant get service pack 2. My
computer is totally back to its original state of when i brought it so no
updates or upgrades or anything what so ever.

i really need to re add office but i cant because i need to update but i
cant update either. Please someone help me
and yes i have automatic updates on but they dont seem to be working either.

anyone with any idea would be totally appreciated!!
thanks in advance!!

Kylie

More about : updating problem

March 30, 2005 2:00:33 AM

Hi ... It sound like you have a brand name computer which the operating
sytem was preinstall but , It also sound like you have a windows xp pro disc
? Also windows xp pro doesn't just come with service pack 1 , Infact the
first windows xp pro didn't have service pack 1 , Though now a days its sold
with service pack 2 , any ways have a view at this microsoft websites and
see if it can help with your problem

Troubleshooting Windows Update Issues:
http://v4.windowsupdate.Microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#update
Problems Accessing Windows Update
http://www.infinisource.com/techfiles/winup-errors.html
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193701
Alternate direct link to Windows Update
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/R824/v31site/default...

"The Aussie Girl" <TheAussieGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone!!
> Firstly i would like to explain that i had the about:blank trojan and many
> many other virus's that my computer had to fixed up to the point that its
> back to its original state of when i first brought it. Meaning every
> program
> i had ever installed on it or downloaded are all now gone.
> I dont even have service pack 1 anymore. Its as basic as you can get it!
>
> I have xp home pre installed from the factory on it.
> I tried to install office 2003 last night and it said i have an error (no
> name of error) but i needed to update my computer before installation
> could
> take place.
>
> So i went to the update site and waited for it to read my computer for any
> updates and nothing at all - i couldnt get one update!!!
>
> I have no idea why and that is my problem.
> When i brought my computer the retail store accidently put a xp pro disc
> in
> with my computer. I did install this but obviously its not on anymore
> because
> of being put back to its original state (factory state)
> xp pro comes with service pack 1 - i was wondering if i re installed xp
> pro
> in which i do want to do anyway would this fix up my problem.
>
> its just that my computer does not pick up any updates what so ever. As i
> said i dont even have service pack 1 so i cant get service pack 2. My
> computer is totally back to its original state of when i brought it so no
> updates or upgrades or anything what so ever.
>
> i really need to re add office but i cant because i need to update but i
> cant update either. Please someone help me
> and yes i have automatic updates on but they dont seem to be working
> either.
>
> anyone with any idea would be totally appreciated!!
> thanks in advance!!
>
> Kylie
March 30, 2005 2:04:10 AM

My mistake you have the home edition preinstall and , You have a Windows xp
pro disc ?

"The Aussie Girl" <TheAussieGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone!!
> Firstly i would like to explain that i had the about:blank trojan and many
> many other virus's that my computer had to fixed up to the point that its
> back to its original state of when i first brought it. Meaning every
> program
> i had ever installed on it or downloaded are all now gone.
> I dont even have service pack 1 anymore. Its as basic as you can get it!
>
> I have xp home pre installed from the factory on it.
> I tried to install office 2003 last night and it said i have an error (no
> name of error) but i needed to update my computer before installation
> could
> take place.
>
> So i went to the update site and waited for it to read my computer for any
> updates and nothing at all - i couldnt get one update!!!
>
> I have no idea why and that is my problem.
> When i brought my computer the retail store accidently put a xp pro disc
> in
> with my computer. I did install this but obviously its not on anymore
> because
> of being put back to its original state (factory state)
> xp pro comes with service pack 1 - i was wondering if i re installed xp
> pro
> in which i do want to do anyway would this fix up my problem.
>
> its just that my computer does not pick up any updates what so ever. As i
> said i dont even have service pack 1 so i cant get service pack 2. My
> computer is totally back to its original state of when i brought it so no
> updates or upgrades or anything what so ever.
>
> i really need to re add office but i cant because i need to update but i
> cant update either. Please someone help me
> and yes i have automatic updates on but they dont seem to be working
> either.
>
> anyone with any idea would be totally appreciated!!
> thanks in advance!!
>
> Kylie
March 30, 2005 2:04:11 AM

yeap xp home is pre installed on my computer
and i have the xp pro disc sitting at home. I did install xp pro about 2
months ago and it was running fine and i know it comes with service pack 1 as
its written on the cover hee hee.

So what do you think i should do???
thanks very muchly for your time and effort.

i do have a brand new spanking computer since its back to its original state
but its very limited as it hardly has anything on it anymore so i have lots
of work to do installing lots again
March 30, 2005 2:37:51 AM

Hi ... Well first off I wouldn't use your preinstall version , I would just
format your computer with the xp pro disc and install that instead , Its
pretty simple to perform , Is your xp pro disc a " Retail " Version ?

Make sure you can boot from CD-ROM.

1. Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive and restart your
computer.
2. At the Windows XP Setup menu, press Enter to continue setup.
3. Press F8 to agree the License Agreement. Then press Esc to continue a
fresh copy without repairing.
4. Press D to delete the selected partition, then press Enter.
5. Press L to confirm. After you delete the partition, press Enter to
install Windows XP. You can use the UP and DOWN arrows keys to select and
format the partition as NTFS or FAT32. Press Enter again to format the
partiton.
6. Remove any floppies or CD-ROM before your computer restarts. Then follow
the setup instructions to finish the installation process.

Have a view at these websites , it shows how its done

http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_pro_install_-_graphic.ht...

"The Aussie Girl" <TheAussieGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D BAED01D-FBD8-4A6F-85F3-3CE24451EE90@microsoft.com...
> yeap xp home is pre installed on my computer
> and i have the xp pro disc sitting at home. I did install xp pro about 2
> months ago and it was running fine and i know it comes with service pack 1
> as
> its written on the cover hee hee.
>
> So what do you think i should do???
> thanks very muchly for your time and effort.
>
> i do have a brand new spanking computer since its back to its original
> state
> but its very limited as it hardly has anything on it anymore so i have
> lots
> of work to do installing lots again

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 2:37:52 AM

i know this will make me sound like im a complete moron but how can i tell
what is retail. It came with a xp pro booklet on what is new about xp pro and
has an activation number (as i think i might have to call microsoft cos ive
already used this activation number when i installed xp pro before my
computer died in the butt ~ but that is another story)
so you think if i upgrade to xp pro with service pack 1 that this might
allow me to actually install office 2003 then!!

"Road_Runner" wrote:

> Hi ... Well first off I wouldn't use your preinstall version , I would just
> format your computer with the xp pro disc and install that instead , Its
> pretty simple to perform , Is your xp pro disc a " Retail " Version ?
>
> Make sure you can boot from CD-ROM.
>
> 1. Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive and restart your
> computer.
> 2. At the Windows XP Setup menu, press Enter to continue setup.
> 3. Press F8 to agree the License Agreement. Then press Esc to continue a
> fresh copy without repairing.
> 4. Press D to delete the selected partition, then press Enter.
> 5. Press L to confirm. After you delete the partition, press Enter to
> install Windows XP. You can use the UP and DOWN arrows keys to select and
> format the partition as NTFS or FAT32. Press Enter again to format the
> partiton.
> 6. Remove any floppies or CD-ROM before your computer restarts. Then follow
> the setup instructions to finish the installation process.
>
> Have a view at these websites , it shows how its done
>
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_pro_install_-_graphic.ht...
>
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>

> "The Aussie Girl" <TheAussieGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D BAED01D-FBD8-4A6F-85F3-3CE24451EE90@microsoft.com...
> > yeap xp home is pre installed on my computer
> > and i have the xp pro disc sitting at home. I did install xp pro about 2
> > months ago and it was running fine and i know it comes with service pack 1
> > as
> > its written on the cover hee hee.
> >
> > So what do you think i should do???
> > thanks very muchly for your time and effort.
> >
> > i do have a brand new spanking computer since its back to its original
> > state
> > but its very limited as it hardly has anything on it anymore so i have
> > lots
> > of work to do installing lots again

March 30, 2005 3:14:08 AM

Hi ... I wouldn't say you are a moron because you can't tell which version
it is , Though if you still have the box it came with it should say or you
could call Microsoft and they would inform you which it is , Either case you
should be able to install Office 2003 with either version but , Because you
have a xp pro disc I would use that instead , But you need to find out which
version it is , As to whether its an OEM , Retail or Upgrade version , If
its an Retail version then you would never need to use your preinstall home
edition version but , I would find out first which version you have ...
Though I did listed 2 websites that explain how to install Windows xp and I
suggest you have a look at them , If afterward you still don't understand it
? Just post on here which parts you don't understand and , I am there will
be others that will assist you ... I will provide another website below here
, Take a look at it

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean...

Just click the above website and it will take you there
>i know this will make me sound like im a complete moron but how can i tell
> what is retail. It came with a xp pro booklet on what is new about xp pro
> and
> has an activation number (as i think i might have to call microsoft cos
> ive
> already used this activation number when i installed xp pro before my
> computer died in the butt ~ but that is another story)
> so you think if i upgrade to xp pro with service pack 1 that this might
> allow me to actually install office 2003 then!!
>
> "Road_Runner" wrote:
>
>> Hi ... Well first off I wouldn't use your preinstall version , I would
>> just
>> format your computer with the xp pro disc and install that instead , Its
>> pretty simple to perform , Is your xp pro disc a " Retail " Version ?
>>
>> Make sure you can boot from CD-ROM.
>>
>> 1. Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive and restart your
>> computer.
>> 2. At the Windows XP Setup menu, press Enter to continue setup.
>> 3. Press F8 to agree the License Agreement. Then press Esc to continue a
>> fresh copy without repairing.
>> 4. Press D to delete the selected partition, then press Enter.
>> 5. Press L to confirm. After you delete the partition, press Enter to
>> install Windows XP. You can use the UP and DOWN arrows keys to select and
>> format the partition as NTFS or FAT32. Press Enter again to format the
>> partiton.
>> 6. Remove any floppies or CD-ROM before your computer restarts. Then
>> follow
>> the setup instructions to finish the installation process.
>>
>> Have a view at these websites , it shows how its done
>>
>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_pro_install_-_graphic.ht...
>>
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>>

>> "The Aussie Girl" <TheAussieGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> news:D BAED01D-FBD8-4A6F-85F3-3CE24451EE90@microsoft.com...
>> > yeap xp home is pre installed on my computer
>> > and i have the xp pro disc sitting at home. I did install xp pro about
>> > 2
>> > months ago and it was running fine and i know it comes with service
>> > pack 1
>> > as
>> > its written on the cover hee hee.
>> >
>> > So what do you think i should do???
>> > thanks very muchly for your time and effort.
>> >
>> > i do have a brand new spanking computer since its back to its original
>> > state
>> > but its very limited as it hardly has anything on it anymore so i have
>> > lots
>> > of work to do installing lots again

March 31, 2005 12:20:45 AM

Just a further thought, do you have the drivers that are usually needed
after an operating system install. I worry that there was something missing
after the first XP install that stopped the installation of the other
programs. Do you have all the drivers for e.g. modems, display adapters,
etc.?

How do you connect from the computer in question, there are a number of
issues that come to mind which have not been answered in this thread so far.
Richard

"Road_Runner" <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>>
>>> 1. Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive and restart your
>>> computer.
>>> 2. At the Windows XP Setup menu, press Enter to continue setup.
>>> 3. Press F8 to agree the License Agreement. Then press Esc to continue a
>>> fresh copy without repairing.
>>> 4. Press D to delete the selected partition, then press Enter.
>>> 5. Press L to confirm. After you delete the partition, press Enter to
>>> install Windows XP. You can use the UP and DOWN arrows keys to select
>>> and
>>> format the partition as NTFS or FAT32. Press Enter again to format the
>>> partiton.
>>> 6. Remove any floppies or CD-ROM before your computer restarts. Then
>>> follow
>>> the setup instructions to finish the installation process.
>>>
>>> Have a view at these websites , it shows how its done

March 31, 2005 12:20:46 AM

Richard I have an older IBM computer which has the operating system
preinstall and I never needed to install any drivers , They are all
installed once your reset the computer back to the original factory set up .
Aren't all preinstall computers like that ??

"Richard" <no-one.here@nospam.uk> wrote in message
news:D 2eu6g$j2e$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Just a further thought, do you have the drivers that are usually needed
> after an operating system install. I worry that there was something
> missing after the first XP install that stopped the installation of the
> other programs. Do you have all the drivers for e.g. modems, display
> adapters, etc.?
>
> How do you connect from the computer in question, there are a number of
> issues that come to mind which have not been answered in this thread so
> far.
> Richard
>
> "Road_Runner" <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi ... I wouldn't say you are a moron because you can't tell which
>> version it is , Though if you still have the box it came with it should
>> say or you could call Microsoft and they would inform you which it is ,
>> Either case you should be able to install Office 2003 with either version
>> but , Because you have a xp pro disc I would use that instead , But you
>> need to find out which version it is , As to whether its an OEM , Retail
>> or Upgrade version , If its an Retail version then you would never need
>> to use your preinstall home edition version but , I would find out first
>> which version you have ... Though I did listed 2 websites that explain
>> how to install Windows xp and I suggest you have a look at them , If
>> afterward you still don't understand it ? Just post on here which parts
>> you don't understand and , I am there will be others that will assist you
>> ... I will provide another website below here , Take a look at it
>>
>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean...
>>
>> Just click the above website and it will take you there
>> "The Aussie Girl" <TheAussieGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:377573F0-D510-44A7-B487-C5A3D4FA07F7@microsoft.com...
>>>i know this will make me sound like im a complete moron but how can i
>>>tell
>>> what is retail. It came with a xp pro booklet on what is new about xp
>>> pro and
>>> has an activation number (as i think i might have to call microsoft cos
>>> ive
>>> already used this activation number when i installed xp pro before my
>>> computer died in the butt ~ but that is another story)
>>> so you think if i upgrade to xp pro with service pack 1 that this might
>>> allow me to actually install office 2003 then!!

March 31, 2005 12:20:47 AM

I should also mention that the drivers where from the manufacturer too , (
not using Windows default ) All that was needed was to update them if needed
but , They were all install

> Richard I have an older IBM computer which has the operating system
> preinstall and I never needed to install any drivers , They are all
> installed once your reset the computer back to the original factory set up
> . Aren't all preinstall computers like that ??
>

> "Richard" <no-one.here@nospam.uk> wrote in message
> news:D 2eu6g$j2e$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> Just a further thought, do you have the drivers that are usually needed
>> after an operating system install. I worry that there was something
>> missing after the first XP install that stopped the installation of the
>> other programs. Do you have all the drivers for e.g. modems, display
>> adapters, etc.?
>>
>> How do you connect from the computer in question, there are a number of
>> issues that come to mind which have not been answered in this thread so
>> far.
>> Richard
>>
>> "Road_Runner" <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi ... I wouldn't say you are a moron because you can't tell which
>>> version it is , Though if you still have the box it came with it should
>>> say or you could call Microsoft and they would inform you which it is ,
>>> Either case you should be able to install Office 2003 with either
>>> version but , Because you have a xp pro disc I would use that instead ,
>>> But you need to find out which version it is , As to whether its an OEM
>>> , Retail or Upgrade version , If its an Retail version then you would
>>> never need to use your preinstall home edition version but , I would
>>> find out first which version you have ... Though I did listed 2 websites
>>> that explain how to install Windows xp and I suggest you have a look at
>>> them , If afterward you still don't understand it ? Just post on here
>>> which parts you don't understand and , I am there will be others that
>>> will assist you ... I will provide another website below here , Take a
>>> look at it
>>>
>>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean...
>>>
>>> Just click the above website and it will take you there
>>> "The Aussie Girl" <TheAussieGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message news:377573F0-D510-44A7-B487-C5A3D4FA07F7@microsoft.com...

April 1, 2005 2:22:00 AM

I am afraid that not, they are not all like that. Several of the machines
that I have had require the installation of additional drivers, it depend on
whether you have what is no more than a ghost image or a rather more normal
install set up. In one case you have the operating system on disk, (easier
for later operating system upgrades) or a hidden partition, less easy for
some upgrades and the drivers have to be added. In the other case you have
a copy of the installed system complete with drivers embedded. I guess that
is what you had, I have created such restore disks, though interestingly
never used one!

One problem with the embedded drivers is as you suspect, if they need tobe
updated for any reason then you do have to update them somehow, the restore
image does not get updated, so you have to repeat the update every time that
you re-install.

>I should also mention that the drivers where from the manufacturer too ,
>( not using Windows default ) All that was needed was to update them if
>needed but , They were all install
>

> "Road_Runner" <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Richard I have an older IBM computer which has the operating system
>> preinstall and I never needed to install any drivers , They are all
>> installed once your reset the computer back to the original factory set
>> up . Aren't all preinstall computers like that ??
>>

>> "Richard" <no-one.here@nospam.uk> wrote in message
>> news:D 2eu6g$j2e$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>> Just a further thought, do you have the drivers that are usually needed
>>> after an operating system install. I worry that there was something
>>> missing after the first XP install that stopped the installation of the
>>> other programs. Do you have all the drivers for e.g. modems, display
>>> adapters, etc.?
>>>
>>> How do you connect from the computer in question, there are a number of
>>> issues that come to mind which have not been answered in this thread so
>>> far.
>>> Richard
>>>
>>> "Road_Runner" <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message

April 1, 2005 2:22:01 AM

Am I misunderstood here because from what I understand there is only 2 types
of preinstall computers on brand name computers, Either it comes with a
product recovery disc or it has a hidden partition , Either case both don't
require drivers , Windows XP provides all the drivers need to have the
computer running , Now from your statement you are saying that you have
several machines that require drivers , Could I ask what type of computers
they are ? Do they have Windows xp ?

"Richard" <no-one.here@nospam.uk> wrote in message
news:D 2hplo$ts4$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
>I am afraid that not, they are not all like that. Several of the machines
>that I have had require the installation of additional drivers, it depend
>on whether you have what is no more than a ghost image or a rather more
>normal install set up. In one case you have the operating system on disk,
>(easier for later operating system upgrades) or a hidden partition, less
>easy for some upgrades and the drivers have to be added. In the other case
>you have a copy of the installed system complete with drivers embedded. I
>guess that is what you had, I have created such restore disks, though
>interestingly never used one!
>
> One problem with the embedded drivers is as you suspect, if they need tobe
> updated for any reason then you do have to update them somehow, the
> restore image does not get updated, so you have to repeat the update every
> time that you re-install.
> Richard
>
> "Road_Runner" <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I should also mention that the drivers where from the manufacturer too ,
>>( not using Windows default ) All that was needed was to update them if
>>needed but , They were all install
>>

>> "Road_Runner" <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Richard I have an older IBM computer which has the operating system
>>> preinstall and I never needed to install any drivers , They are all
>>> installed once your reset the computer back to the original factory set
>>> up . Aren't all preinstall computers like that ??
>>>

>>> "Richard" <no-one.here@nospam.uk> wrote in message
>>> news:D 2eu6g$j2e$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 1:30:12 PM

In news:uxWRfzlNFHA.2728@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Road_Runner <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> typed:

> Am I misunderstood here because from what I understand there is
> only
> 2 types of preinstall computers on brand name computers, Either
> it
> comes with a product recovery disc or it has a hidden partition
> ,

It's an aside from the subject of the thread, but just for
clarification, there are *three* types. Besides those two types,
some brand name computers (Dell, for example) come with complete
OEM installation CDs.

Please reply to the newsgroup
April 2, 2005 9:45:30 PM

Yes I have several computers, one of which, (soon to be two) is a Dell,
which came with XP and drivers as CDs none of my machine to date have had
the hidden partition recovery, though I know of others who do have such
machines. Ken Blake put the situation very well, I have seen examples of
all three types of install scenario.

The original thread of the posting has been answered elsewhere, the original
post needed some service packs and has now completed the re-install.
Richard

> In news:uxWRfzlNFHA.2728@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Road_Runner <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> typed:
>
>> Am I misunderstood here because from what I understand there is only
>> 2 types of preinstall computers on brand name computers, Either it
>> comes with a product recovery disc or it has a hidden partition ,
>

> It's an aside from the subject of the thread, but just for clarification,
> there are *three* types. Besides those two types, some brand name
> computers (Dell, for example) come with complete OEM installation CDs.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

April 3, 2005 11:09:28 PM

Oh I didn't know about Dell as to how their systems are , Thanks for the
info

news:D 2mi74$t5p$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...