Is it worth upgrading video card????

Sepdawg

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
With all the new video cards out there I'm wondering if I should try to update my card (got that damn bug again) or just sit tight for now and build a new system in 2008. I was checking out the 640mb 8800 GTS but had to wonder if the cpu would be a bottleneck with this card and nullify any performance gains that it had to offer. I wasnt able to find any bench marking test to show what the difference might be compared to a dual cpu so I figured I post and see what feedback I could get. The psu would mostly need to be updated too if I went this route that for sure :?: :?: :?:

SPECS
FX-57 @ 3150 FSB 225X14 HHT@900 MEMORY 1:1
Zalman CNPS9500 LED CPU Cooler
Corsair TWINX2048-3500LLPRO 2GB Kit DDR433 XMS3500 ProSeries Memory
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce 4 SLI Athlon 64(FX) Skt939 DDR ATX
eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GTX KO
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD4000KD 400GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
Plextor PX-716A 16X Internal Dual Layer DVD±R/RW CD-R/RW Drive
Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
OS XP SP-2
Antec NeoPower 480W Power Supply

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I feel your system is pretty good now and unless you are getting real poor FPS on games, I would not upgrade. Like you said, If you replace the card, then you need to upgrade the PSU. The mobo and processor are good units but they are the end of the upgrade path so to gain a lot, you need new gear including memory. There is a lot of upgrades and without building almost a new rig, you would not gain much.

cal7

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
The 7800 GTX is very good card even today.Unless you`re so unhappy with it , i would say keep it a few more months and watch the market for the new cards.
Like alcattle said if you get 8800 you`re probably going to need more than that.

Sepdawg

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Its not that I've had "issues" with the systems performance just got that "wanna upgrade bug". I pretty much figured that I would have to jump the line to the dual cores and DDR2 memory plus a few other things to really get the performance boost that I want.... Thanks for the replies....As to OCing the vid card ...I already enabled Cool Bits and let it detect optimal settings which put it at 513 core and 1300 mem....no artifacts, but not sure if I want to push it any further than that. Also added a 120 fan to side over vid and cpu to help with cooling. Has definitely help.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Its not that I've had "issues" with the systems performance just got that "wanna upgrade bug". I pretty much figured that I would have to jump the line to the dual cores and DDR2 memory plus a few other things to really get the performance boost that I want.... Thanks for the replies....As to OCing the vid card ...I already enabled Cool Bits and let it detect optimal settings which put it at 513 core and 1300 mem....no artifacts, but not sure if I want to push it any further than that. Also added a 120 fan to side over vid and cpu to help with cooling. Has definitely help.

Don't "detect optimal freqs." - Do it manually please :wink:

Either way, in a few months I'd buy a 8800GTS or whatever fits you, and later buy a (maybe) used s939 X2 when games are fully dual core compliant. It's a pity getting rid out of that system.

Edit - http://search.ebay.com/amd-x2-939_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfromZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsacatZQ2d1QQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQsbrsrtZlQQsubmitsearchZSearch

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006

Don't "detect optimal freqs." - Do it manually please :wink:

Either way, in a few months I'd buy a 8800GTS or whatever fits you, and later buy a (maybe) used s939 X2 when games are fully dual core compliant. It's a pity getting rid out of that system.

yes i agree.
coolbits tends to detect too much optimal freqs. :lol: