IDE disc works fine on IDE bus but weird in any USB case

ChristianinSweden

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
I have a 300 gig Samsung IDE disc that works fine while connected on the IDE bus , have run different disctest from ultimate bootdisc, and reformated it several times with ntfs, so i asume that the disc is okey.

but when i mount the disc in any of the different USB cases I have, the disc almost never shows up no matter computer i connect to.
If I wait several days, it will mount on desktop perfectly, but when I disconnect it through the taskbar and reconnect, it shows in windows as a a local disc, and I cant browse the disc. discname has also disapeared.
If I disconnect and reconnect it a third time it wont show up at all.

So if I wait several days, It comes up perfect again.

Doesnt matter if Reformat the drive on the IDE bus, same thing happens in the USB cases.

It should also be noted that I have many discs and they all work fine in my USB cases.
and This behavoir I describe is the same nomatter which XP computer I try this disc with the USB cases.

I dont have any need for another disc inside of my computers , so I am stuck at the moment with a disc that behaves very weird in USB cases.

anyone that reqognize this ?

Christian Christensen
Sweden

billystringer

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Look in programs>administrative tools>computer management>disk management, and see if it's showing up there without a drive letter. If so, right click and assign a drive letter, and you should be good.

-The String

ChristianinSweden

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Thanks for trying to help me.

Yep , tried to change the jumper settings, no nifference.
and aswell tried disc managment in the controlpanel..

refering to my trext.

Phase 1 it shows up in discmanagment
Phase 2 it shows up there but as unknown disc ( if I remeber correctly )
Phase 3 wont show up at all there

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Just searched Samsung's Knowledge Base for External Hard Drive and it said

"Samsung Electronics America does not support external hard drives. Please contact the manufacturer of your external hard drive for support. "

http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer/sea/jsp/faqs/faqs_ars.jsp

I don't know if this means Samsung does not sell external hdd or that you cannot use Samsung hdd in an external case. Have you checked out the Support section of the Case mfg?

roallin

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
"Samsung Electronics America does not support external hard drives. Please contact the manufacturer of your external hard drive for support. "

I think this means that some manufacturers of external HDDs use Samsung drives in their products. And for support of these products, you must contanct the manufacturer, not Samsung.