Win2k installation hangs after BIOS upgrade

peter

After updating the ROM BIOS, Win2k Pro no longer boots.

I tried to reinstall Win2k, but the installation hangs
during setup, displaying the error msg "Setup is
inspecting your system's hardware configuration". I've
tried both a clean install, as well as an upgrade from
Win98, but get stuck at the same point in the installation.

Prior to copying the files from the CD ROM, Windows
determined that there were no software or hardware
compatibility issues.

At bootup, I have two choices: Win98 or Win2000 Setup.
Win98 still works fine.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Peter" wrote:
| After updating the ROM BIOS, Win2k Pro no longer boots.
|
| I tried to reinstall Win2k, but the installation hangs
| during setup, displaying the error msg "Setup is
| inspecting your system's hardware configuration". I've
| tried both a clean install, as well as an upgrade from
| Win98, but get stuck at the same point in the installation.
|
| Prior to copying the files from the CD ROM, Windows
| determined that there were no software or hardware
| compatibility issues.
|
| At bootup, I have two choices: Win98 or Win2000 Setup.
| Win98 still works fine.
|
| Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

peter

Dave, thank you for the response.

I have not had any luck getting past the error msg using
F6. No matter how early I press it, F6 doesn't seem to do
anything, and the computer just halts at the error msg,
which is the first thing that shows up on booting into
Win2k Setup (if I boot into the other choice - Win98,
everything is fine!).

I have tried to boot from the Win2k setup floppies, as
well as directly from the Win2k CD, but either way the
computer still hangs on the hardware configuration.

I think you're right that Win2k doesn't like something
having to do with the disk controller (MS
KB252349 "Computer hangs while setup is inspecting
hardware configuration"), but I can't find anything in the
BIOS settings to fix this. The controller is running a
Maxtor 3.2 GB HDD, in ultra DMA 33.

Gateway tech support says there's no way to go back to the
original ROM BIOS, and that I'm probably stuck with
Win98. Since the computer ran Win2k fine before the ROM
update, I'm a little skeptical. What do you think?

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>"Peter" wrote:
>| After updating the ROM BIOS, Win2k Pro no longer boots.
>|
>| I tried to reinstall Win2k, but the installation hangs
>| during setup, displaying the error msg "Setup is
>| inspecting your system's hardware configuration". I've
>| tried both a clean install, as well as an upgrade from
>| Win98, but get stuck at the same point in the
installation.

>| Prior to copying the files from the CD ROM, Windows
>| determined that there were no software or hardware
>| compatibility issues.
>|
>| At bootup, I have two choices: Win98 or Win2000 Setup.
>| Win98 still works fine.
>|
>| Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
>

>.

Yes, F6 doesn't immediately appear to do anything. When prompted something
to the effect "setup didn't find any drives" you'll need to give it the
manufacturer's Windows 2000 driver for your ultra dma controller.