Router Fast enough for Roadrunner Premium?

cdav1100

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
I currently have a LINKSYS BEFSR41 router. Also I have recently upgraded to Roadrunner premium- a 15M/1M connection. During an outage, I was asked to disconnect my router and do a speed test. During this testing I found that when the computer is connected directly to the cable modem I was getting 1700 K/sec downloads.

With my router connected this download speed drops to just over 1000 K/sec. My upload speed stays the same either way. So basically I'm taking a 700 K/sec hit in d-load speed for using the router.

As I was thinking of upgrading to a gigabit lan setup- I was curious about this drop in speed, if it was normal or not, and if there is a product in the gigabit home user realm (read not too expensive) that might work better. Also, is there a way to see in ads for these things- what the expected throughput should be?

I thank you for any advice that you may be able to offer.

cdav1100

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
Thanks for your reply, seems I can improve greatly from what I have now. I just wish there wasn't such attention on the wireless routers and more information (and products really) for wired solutions.

Please excuse my slow reply, had a sata cable go intermittent on my boot drive and was off the air for a bit figuring that one out....

Thanks again, Dave.