Win98SE upgrade problem

numpty

Am upgrading win98se to 2000 pro but having a problem.
Scans all the files adn starts the file copying process
but then stops saying that it cannot read or write from
the HDD. I do have the AVG antivirus and also Norton
Utilities 2001 on the system and these are the only
programs that I can think may be causing a problem.Any
ideas?

Definitely uninstall them or better yet save yourself some time and trouble,
given that you'll more than likely end up with an unstable OS with all the
remnants/ corruption left behind from the upgrade. Best to blow it all away
and go for the clean install.

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks.
The set of four install disks can be created from your Win2k CD-rom; change
to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
proceed.

Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]