Replacing Abit IC7 with... ?

esandegren

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2004
Hi, I have a dead Abit IC7 that I need to replace. I am also in the "waiting to build the new dream machine" camp, so I'd only like to replace the MB, and keep my Pent 4 2.33 ghz Sock 478, 2GB DDR400, ATI 9600 (agp) and SATA drive.

This Biostar model is a possible solution. I've found some other boards from Abit and Asus that look like good replacements, but they don't seem to be sold anywhere anymore.

Any advice on which brand/model to replace my Abit IC7 would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

E.S.

p.s. Mini ATX form boards will fit in a regular ATX case right?

mikey1atl

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
I happen to have a brand new, never been opened Abit IC-7G board I bought sometime ago for a spare. I am presently using an Abit IC-7 MAX 3 board for this internet machine. I will sell the board for $100.00. Please let me know if you are interested. I am a long time pc builder and THG reader but have just joined in order to reply to your post.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Thanks, anyone else have comment? I didn't know a three year old board could be so out of date =(
You would only have to update the BIOS. I doubt there have been many driver updates since then. You aren't going to find any "decent" performing (new) s478 mobo's nowadays...just ones with VIA/SiS chipsets. I'd seriously consider that IC7G. GL :)

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Good catch!
The Intel chipset board is a better option than the Biostar.
clap2.gif

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Good catch!
The Intel chipset board is a better option than the Biostar.
clap2.gif
Yeah...nice one. I assumed that all their P4 boards were LGA775 now(even with the i865 chipset). :wink:

PS. Leave it to ASRock to keep the niche markets alive. :D :D They have that market pretty-much cornered....Much like PCChips used to, except the ASRock boards are of fairly good quality...not like the crappy PCChips. :x